PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

jkcTN
05-28-2014, 08:31 AM
My insurance policy with ski safe is very vague. It says that I have 2500.00 in personal property.... Would my stereo fall under personal property or is that covered under part of my boat value?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bsloop
05-28-2014, 09:52 AM
Good luck! I have had that argument with USAA too (grandfathered under them, not thru progressive)

I can not get a straight answer either. Mine is complicated because I have a $1k sub box that just sits starboard of the dog house not even "installed" or affixed which is often a criteria.

They will not do a true "agreed upon" and even that most say they will begin to prorate rapidly. If you have a lot of stereo in a low value boat or total loss, hope your insurance company is cooperative (usaa has been awesome over the years) or prepare to take a hit in the case of total loss.

If they do classify as personal property; usually there is a separate deductible choice and you can raise the coverage. Boosting it would probably be very minimal.

drschemel
05-28-2014, 10:45 AM
I think it is pretty clear that anything installed on the boat does not count as personal property. The stereo would typically fall under this unless it is something that is "stand alone" and can be removed from the boat without having to uninstall anything. You should be able to get away with things that just plug in - like your IPhone or accessories that plug into the auxillary power plug (cigarette lighter) like a removable ballast bag and pump. Anything that is actually wired into the boat would be considered installed. In the above reference, the sub is wired in and even though it is somewhat portable, it is installed and would not be coverred individually unless you put a separate rider on it. An option is to put a rider on your home owners policy for expensive items that are in the boat and could be lost. This would give you replacement value and not be dependent on your boat policy. Check with your insurance agent (unless, of course, you bought insurance from a lizard, then you're just screwed).

Kyle
05-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Personal property is a non attached item like a watch, sunglasses, wallet, purse, cooler, skis, boards, skyskis, gear, etc.

Boat policy is for any item attached to the boat that requires some disassembly to remove the item. It doesn't matter as long as it is attached in some way shape or form to the boat. Glue it, screw it, stick it, adhere it and it beces part of the boat. Just make sure it's not an item like a cooler of beer sitting there that could be snatch n grab removed.

I have over $5000 in stereo equipment in my little 190 so I asked a lot of questions and did a lot of reading before I made my choice of who I went with. I also have personal items that are always over $2500 that are with me at all times. My personal item of value that I bring is my watch. I love my TAG and I don't see that I should be forced to not wear it on my boat. If it gets stolen, sinks to the bottom, etc then it is covered under personal. Personal items also include skis, wakeboards, skyskis. My cheapest slalom ski is $1300 to replace and I always bring my ski ski that would be $5000 to replace. My policy is a $2500 policy on personal items.

I sell insurance and know the games that are played with the companies. I would take pictures of all of the boat items like stereo. I would do the same with the personal items to show proof of ownership.