PDA

View Full Version : Value WakeSurf Board - Best Bang for the Buck

Ryan
05-27-2014, 01:34 PM
What's the best value wakesurf board (wakesurfer)?

I want to get into wake surfing this summer and am looking at everything from the Liquid Force Fish to the Hyperlite Shim. I am 6'3" and 245lbs so, prefer longer with a wider tail to get more lift. There's a pretty cheap deal on the Obrien Alias on a couple of sites, but am unsure of it's real handling.

Any sites to shop beyond TheHouse, Overtons, Amazon, Bart's and Evo?

wilhelmwake
05-27-2014, 02:00 PM
wakemakers.com, wakeside.com, wakeboards.com, bakes, ebay,... there's plenty of places to find great deals.

I think the most crucial thing for a bigger man is to find a board that is capable of carrying your weight. I would not worry too much of whether the board is for beginner or advanced. I would go with more high end board as you pick up things rather quick and then you are again shopping for a more expensive board. Inland Surfer has the James Walker flyboy big boy version of the fly boy that goes up to 260lbs. That is what I currently have and I am 6.1 and 205lbs. I also have the Ronix KOAL 5.0, but that is not nearly as good.

swatguy
05-27-2014, 02:23 PM
I just picked up a Ronix Parks Thruster. Had it out this weekend. I am coming from a Hyperlite Broadcast. However I surf with a bunch of guys who are die hards so have been on almost every walker, and inland surfer.
I don't surf nearly enough to justify 800 for a surfer. There wasn't much out there on the Ronix Parks Thruster but one of the guys mentioned it being a great board for the cash. Gave it a go and holy crap am I amazed at the performance from a board in this price range. It really has flown under the radar prabably because it's got the Ronix name stamped on it. It has a surf feel much like the higher end "surf style" boards while still keeping it manageable for beginners. The thing is way faster than my Broadcast, way more responsive and just an overall huge improvement. Dare I say it had me wanting to Wakesurf my boat even more. It was just a blast to ride even on my small wake. It's not as fast or as responsive as my buddies F-18 I frequently get to ride, but it was a huge step in the right direction and I am 100% pleased on the purchase. I also had 3 brand new newbs on it and they were all ropeless by end of day one. It comes in 5' 7" I Wakesurf ocassionally so it was the perfect blend of price ( close out) and higher end performance for an ocassional surfer like myself who is very athletic.

bjen
05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm about your same size and bought an obrien alias as my first board and was not happy with it at all----had a hard time keeping up with the boat. Could have been we were new at it and did not know how to set up the boat or surf really but I stepped up to a phase 5 trident and it was night and day. Also cost me almost 3 times as much.
Keep an eye on craigslist, I got lucky and picked up a inland swallow a few weeks ago for under $300. Supposed to be a decent big guy board from what i'm told.

dvsone79
05-27-2014, 04:19 PM
I have a Ronix Marsh Mellow Thrasher that I really like. I got it from evo.com for $280. Ronix states that it's basically the same shape as the carbon thruster, so the earlier recommendation someone gave the carbon thruster would be a good one. My experience with the Ronix is its faster than any board I've ridden. I'm a big guy: 6'3" 205. I opted for the 5'2" model but I could have gone down a size and still have plenty of speed. I've ridden the Hyperlite Broadcast, Byerly Hazard, and a liquid force that I forgot the model. The ronix is faster than all of them. Response may not be quite where the Hazard is, but still very responsive.

Ryan
05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
I have a Ronix Marsh Mellow Thrasher that I really like. I got it from evo.com for $280. Ronix states that it's basically the same shape as the carbon thruster, so the earlier recommendation someone gave the carbon thruster would be a good one. My experience with the Ronix is its faster than any board I've ridden. I'm a big guy: 6'3" 205. I opted for the 5'2" model but I could have gone down a size and still have plenty of speed. I've ridden the Hyperlite Broadcast, Byerly Hazard, and a liquid force that I forgot the model. The ronix is faster than all of them. Response may not be quite where the Hazard is, but still very responsive.

Is the Mellow durable enough and thin enough to fit in MC spinning board racks?
I worry that a soft-top wouldn't last well.

dvsone79
05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Is the Mellow durable enough and thin enough to fit in MC spinning board racks?
I worry that a soft-top wouldn't last well.

Mine fits in the MC ZFT racks. Durability hasn't been a problem but I take care of my stuff.

scott023
05-28-2014, 04:38 PM
IMO, buying a value surfboard is like buying a value boat... you'll eventually want more than you got. So why not start with what you're inevitably going to end up with? :twocents:

dvsone79
05-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Here's a video of my buddy riding the Marsh Mellow behind his G23. He had never surfed the Ronix before. FWIW, we're not big surfers. We only surf when the water is too sh!tty for wakeboarding, or when we're completely smoked from wakeboarding all day. He's no pro, but as you can tell he's a decent surfer and the board certainly isn't holding him back:

http://youtu.be/vf6uIwdV0D4

MC25
05-28-2014, 11:08 PM
Broadcast is a great learner board! especially behind the 205V

Ryan
05-28-2014, 11:39 PM
IMO, buying a value surfboard is like buying a value boat... you'll eventually want more than you got. So why not start with what you're inevitably going to end up with? :twocents:

To clarify, value = most bang/$. That doesn't mean a cheap board.

I am skeptical that a $700 board will have 2.5x marginal benefit vs a good $300-350 board. That's about as much as I care to spend on a surf board. I can however justify a much more expensive slalom ski or wakeboard though.

Ryan
05-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Mine fits in the MC ZFT racks. Durability hasn't been a problem but I take care of my stuff.

Good to hear. I'll keep it on the list.
Thx

scott023
05-29-2014, 08:38 AM
To clarify, value = most bang/$. That doesn't mean a cheap board.

I am skeptical that a $700 board will have 2.5x marginal benefit vs a good $300-350 board. That's about as much as I care to spend on a surf board. I can however justify a much more expensive slalom ski or wakeboard though.

Ryan, IMO, they are that much better.

MI_Corey
05-29-2014, 09:26 AM
I would think they're only 2.5x better if you are into surfing. I'm like Ryan. I wakeboard and surf but the only time I have any desire to surf is when I'm hurt or it's choppy. For me, I can't justify the high end boards.

H2ORidr
05-29-2014, 10:56 AM

Two phrases I live by and they have never let me down:

1. Buy the best and only cry once.
2. I've never thrown down on the ground a top quality tool/snowboard/binding set/kite/snowboard/wakeboard/you name it and said I wish I bought the cheaper model.

scott023
05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Two phrases I live by and they have never let me down:

1. Buy the best and only cry once.
2. I've never thrown down on the ground a top quality tool/snowboard/binding set/kite/snowboard/wakeboard/you name it and said I wish I bought the cheaper model.

That's what I go by as well. First boat was a MC because I knew I wouldn't have to upgrade it. You lose money when you upgrade, may as well spend a little more and skip the depreciation loss.

Footin
05-29-2014, 05:23 PM
I just bought my first surfboard and I went with the CWB Ride. It is a great lower end all around board.

I did this because once I advance enough to upgrade, the CWB will become my "boat board" for others to use and it will remain a great board to teach people on.

mccobmd
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
I have the inland surfer Red woody. It is good for smaller wake/bigger people. It cost me 300 on clearance. I haven't found anything I want to upgrade to but I still wakeboard and ski and so it is perfect for how much I use it.

Theomedic
06-11-2014, 09:17 AM
We have never wake surfed and would like to try. Has anyone have any info on this? It seemed to be the lowest I could find. I didn't see anyone selling anything used, just wanted to see if it was something we wanted to get into without spending a lot of cash.

http://www.evo.com/wake-surfboards/cwb-ride-wakesurf-board-w/surf-rope.aspx#image=63986/313492/cwb-ride-wakesurf-board-w-surf-rope-2014-5-3-.jpg

AlbertaSurfer
06-11-2014, 09:46 AM
I've said it before, and here it is again.

Check out Catch Surf
http://catchsurf.com/

Wakesurfing is basically slugging along on a garbage wave. Ocean grovellers and junk wave boards work awesome to learn to surf behind a boat with and Catch Surf makes fun, silly, awesome stuff that's indestructable. Think boogie board. They have a foam core, wood stringer, but are finished off with a plastic bottom and soft EVA foam top. Stick them in your board rack, land heel first on them, stuff them in the ski locker... you don't have to worry about it. $700-$800 for a custom shaped glassie to learn on is a waste of money because it's just going to get damaged. I don't even surf glass boards in the ocean anymore because I'm sick of buying a new board for every surf trip.

Catch Surf are built for the ocean's junky days. Watch clips of Jamie O'Brien and Poopois surfing huge Waimea beackbreak on the Beater and you'll be convinced that for ~$250 it's worth having around.

If you were going to try slalom skiing, would you spring for a lithium Vapor with Vapor boots for ~$2k, just in the event you ended up liking it and would maybe get into skiing the course one day? Not likely.

MI_Corey
06-11-2014, 10:01 AM
We have never wake surfed and would like to try. Has anyone have any info on this? It seemed to be the lowest I could find. I didn't see anyone selling anything used, just wanted to see if it was something we wanted to get into without spending a lot of cash.

http://www.evo.com/wake-surfboards/cwb-ride-wakesurf-board-w/surf-rope.aspx#image=63986/313492/cwb-ride-wakesurf-board-w-surf-rope-2014-5-3-.jpg

We are planning on being on Sand lake Friday if you want to grab my broadcast and try it out you're welcome to.

Theomedic
06-11-2014, 10:56 AM
You will be right next door. I'll PM you.