PDA

View Full Version : Question about underwater lighting/plug (prostar 190)

99mastercraft
05-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Can someone explain to me how this would work?

http://us.binnacle.com/Lights-Underwater-LED-Lights/c23_528/p8073/UNDERWATER-LED-LIGHT-FOR-GARBOARD-PLUG/product_info.html

Remove your existing plug, thread something into the plug hole and then you would screw the light onto the threads from the bottom of the boat or what?

Totally confused and I'm looking to add some underwater lighting to my prostar 190 without spending a lot of money and drilling holes...

I have found threads, but none with pictures of anything in use... Anybody using this stuff?

Also what is the size of plug that is used on our 89 mastercraft prostar 190's?

Any help is appreciated

Double D
05-27-2014, 01:39 PM
That link is typically used with a v-drive where they have a plug out the back, not a direct drive where the plug is in the bottom.

I have added underwater lights on my 94 205, what pictures do you want to see?

99mastercraft
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Damn. Do you have pics of your setup or ideal how much it cost?

I want to add some lights to the rear/swim platform area without spending a fortune

Double D
05-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Ultimately brightness dictates price. I bought (2) 9 Watt lights and mounted them between my exhausts and got them through Sgoyal on here. Price each was reasonable. He also offered a brighter 27W but the cost was hard on my budget. I plan to add a 27w to the middle this year, and also bought some smaller units for the outsides. Here is how it currently looks:

If my budget was bigger, I would go brighter. Open slats on the platform would help too...

I will update you on costs when I'm in a position to find them.

99mastercraft
05-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Awesome.. thanks for all the help. What about the install? Any details or information? What wires did you use for powering the lights? How are they mounted?

Thanks

Double D
05-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Awesome.. thanks for all the help. What about the install? Any details or information? What wires did you use for powering the lights? How are they mounted?

Thanks

More pics and info. Most types of underwater lights look and mount the same.

3 screws and one center hole for the wire. All drilled out in reverse and filled with 4200 or 5200 sealant.

At that time, the 9W lights were $75 delivered. The 27W units were $225 each shipped, so you can see what happens. Here is the original thread on these units with lots of details: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54356&highlight=Underwater+Lights

There are other options peeps on here can chime in on.

As for wiring, I wired mine into the other LED lights I have in my boat and hooked them into my empty AC2 switch.

Like I said previously, my plan is to buy one 27W in the future and install it between the other two. I was also considering buying two of these and mounting them closer to the edges.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YWG3AW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out this guys thread on Facebook with similar lights...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203787209143868&set=o.102832819752389&type=2&theater

99mastercraft
05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Does the one hole in the middle for the wire have to be drilled all the way through the boat? Does the gas tank have to be removed to install this? At work now so I can't view the other thread... then you just run the wire behind the panels to a switch or the acc switch on the dash?

Double D
05-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Does the one hole in the middle for the wire have to be drilled all the way through the boat? Does the gas tank have to be removed to install this? At work now so I can't view the other thread... then you just run the wire behind the panels to a switch or the acc switch on the dash?

Depending on the length of the screws, but all my holes go all the way through.

I pulled the tank out a bit to access the wires, but did not have to unhook the important stuff from the top of the tank.

I wired all my interior and exterior LED lights to the ACC switch on the dash panel.