PDA

View Full Version : Ethical problem

02ProstarSammyD
05-27-2014, 10:45 AM
Have you ever not sold a boat to someone based on the fact that you knew it was going to die a slow and painful death?

Double D
05-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I have never sold a boat, but I think I would NOT sell based on my impressions of how it would be treated. Might depend on how desperate one is to sell I guess...

curver900
05-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Everything mechanical dies a slow painful death... and sometimes it is quick but still painful...and usually costly;)

DRRICK
05-27-2014, 10:53 AM
Having sold dozens of cars and 2 boats, I say get over it. Separate the emotion from the financial. Or keep it.

02ProstarSammyD
05-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Having sold dozens of cars and 2 boats, I say get over it. Separate the emotion from the financial. Or keep it.
What my buddies and wife keep saying. I just know the boat is going to be on our lake and I essentially brought the boat back from life support 4 years ago. New boater looking at it and I mean like GREEN GREEN. On a side note he made it harder by going full price offer if I threw in a wakeboard and removed the ballast so he could have more storage room

gweaver
05-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Folks say never sell a vehicle to a friend. This guy who's interested in your boat may or may not be a friend, but if the boat goes south on him, it's possible your name may be spread around the lake, and not in a good way. (I'm assuming it's a smallish lake.) If you're trying to sell, I'd think the best way would be to be completely forthcoming- what exactly is wrong with the boat, expected lifespan, estimated repair cost, etc. That way the buyer knows exactly what they're getting in to. If the guy buys the boat, your conscience is clear.
FWIW, I'd be as honest as possible, and price accordingly. Good karma and all that.
G

Jayhawk
05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Have him join Team Talk as a condition of sale :) He won't stay Green for long.

soacj
05-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Folks say never sell a vehicle to a friend. This guy who's interested in your boat may or may not be a friend, but if the boat goes south on him, it's possible your name may be spread around the lake, and not in a good way. (I'm assuming it's a smallish lake.) If you're trying to sell, I'd think the best way would be to be completely forthcoming- what exactly is wrong with the boat, expected lifespan, estimated repair cost, etc. That way the buyer knows exactly what they're getting in to. If the guy buys the boat, your conscience is clear.
FWIW, I'd be as honest as possible, and price accordingly. Good karma and all that.
G

Think you might have misinterpreted the original question--Sounds like "02prostarsammyd" is concerned that an uninitiated potential buyer of his boat will run it into the ground due to his inexperience, not due to any pre-existing problems.

MC25
05-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Wave to the new owner from your new boat and dont look back.

rtw_travel
05-27-2014, 11:35 AM

I'm with you, Aric.

You obviously hope it works well enough for the next buyer. But long as you did not knowingly mislead a buyer or try to hide the truth, then move on with a clear conscious. Caveat Emptor - if a buyer wants a warranty, they should pay the full price and get a new model.

We tried to sell our 2002 Honda Odyssey 5 years ago, but I mentioned that the transmission on this model was a known weakness. The buyer did an internet search, said 'thanks' and ended up walking. We decided it was still an OK vehicle for us, so ended up keeping it. We've since put another 100,000 miles on it and had no troubles at all. Despite the fact that I fully expected it to die a slow painful death, it did not.

02ProstarSammyD
05-27-2014, 11:43 AM
haha no nothing is wrong with the boat. In fact the boat is spotless and been restored to previous glory. The almost new owner seems to be of the more backwoods type. Just seems like the type that would kill the interior and duct tape it haha. I'm just gonna try and put it out of my mind. Might just be early sellers remorse kicking in

Double D
05-27-2014, 11:46 AM
haha no nothing is wrong with the boat. In fact the boat is spotless and been restored to previous glory. The almost new owner seems to be of the more backwoods type. Just seems like the type that would kill the interior and duct tape it haha. I'm just gonna try and put it out of my mind. Might just be early sellers remorse kicking in

Since he is a newb, you could always give him the MasterCraft TeamTalk MCOCD Training Class and have him pass a test before you will sell... :rolleyes:

willyt
05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
take lots of pictures of you and the crew in the boat. fundamentally, its the friends you make and the times you have on the boat, not the boat itself.

who knows, new owner may be a quick learner on the wakeboard and will put the ballast back in. first time something goes wrong, maybe he'll realize his lack of knowledge and get marine schooled. understand your connection to the boat, but there will be others.

02ProstarSammyD
05-27-2014, 12:58 PM
take lots of pictures of you and the crew in the boat. fundamentally, its the friends you make and the times you have on the boat, not the boat itself.

Good way to look at it I guess

Bouyhead
05-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Since he is a newb, you could always give him the MasterCraft TeamTalk MCOCD Training Class and have him pass a test before you will sell... :rolleyes:

MCOCD, you can't teach it or learn it. You either have it or you don't;):D

Smarten
05-27-2014, 01:18 PM
On a side note he made it harder by going full price offer if I threw in a wakeboard and removed the ballast so he could have more storage room

Did he want you to keep the ballast? If he did, and gives you full price, make some extra $ by selling the ballast by itself!:D What kind of ballast stuff you got? I may be interested.:cool::D

02ProstarSammyD
05-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Did he want you to keep the ballast? If he did, and gives you full price, make some extra $ by selling the ballast by itself! What kind of ballast stuff you got? I may be interested.
If he comes through there will be a pretty long list of spare parts I'll be selling haha. I however will NOT be uninstalling the bags unless the pumps are disconnected. I could see a lawyer knocking on my door 2 months later b/c he swamped the boat leaving a switch on with no bags. It seemed to be a hot button for him and finally just suggested he do whatever he wanted to with them after the fact.

shepherd
05-27-2014, 02:23 PM

X3^^

That's what I did, after spending several months restoring my old boat. I really don't care what happened to the old one.

JMLVMI
05-27-2014, 02:34 PM
My MC is my first boat...give the guy some credit. Direct him to TT and WW and hope he learns. I'd honestly rather have a green boat owner than that guy who came on here asking for thru-hull exhaust and 60+ MPH out of his 190! :D

madcityskier
05-27-2014, 02:41 PM
My MC is my first boat...give the guy some credit. Direct him to TT and WW and hope he learns. I'd honestly rather have a green boat owner than that guy who came on here asking for thru-hull exhaust and 60+ MPH out of his 190! :D

Wait, you can't be considering selling to Hooligan? I vote no now.
I know where you're coming from. It's hard to sell something you loved and then watch someone beat it down. Sometimes there's no better option. Other times, the next potential buyer is a better choice. Do you have a boat lined up and need the $ now, move on it. Otherwise, ask yourself why you put all the work into it in the first place. If it was to be able to sell it and move into a newer, better boat, do it. If you wanted to bring the beauty back on something that had been neglected, probably hold off as you'll regret seeing all your work go down the drain. If it was somewhere that you wouldn't see it and suffer through it, who knows.

curver900
05-27-2014, 04:58 PM
I have a really good solution, just give it to me I will take good care of it... promise... Problem solved... you will be able to sleep well at night... and I will have full enjoyment of your hard work... :D

TRBenj
05-27-2014, 05:28 PM
If I were selling a boat that I had invested a lot in (time, money, sweat) then I would absolutely be picky about who buys it. Allowing your old baby to go to someone who you know will wreck it- no way! And on your same lake so you'd have to watch it happen first hand? No thanks. I see no issue with trying to find the boats next "caretaker", or at the very least, someone a bit further away so you don't have to drive by it and cringe on a regular basis. Talk about torture.

As far as 60mph tournament inboards go, what a joke. Everyone knows that only Correct Crafts can do such things!

drschemel
05-27-2014, 06:44 PM
I think I would have to say that the boat gets sold as is without modification. If the new owner wants to take the ballast out, he would have to do it himself. I would suggest that he might want to keep it to preserve the future value of the boat and that it really has enough storage anyway but it would be up to him. So, throw in the wakeboard and leave the ballast, deal done!

kyfooter
05-27-2014, 09:16 PM
I too would absolutely consider who the buyer is, and whether the boat will be taken care of. To most people, a boat is just a boat, but to many of us on here, there is an emotional attachment that need not be disregarded.

Just a guess, but if you restored the boat, and had to watch it get abused, I would say there is a good chance you end up buying it back years down the road.

ahhudgins
05-27-2014, 09:28 PM
I could have sold my Prostar to a local on our lake with no problem, but instead I traded it in to a dealer over 400 miles away. The guy who wanted my boat doesn't take care of the one that he already has and I couldn't stand to see all of the TLC that was put into mine go to waste. If my old boat has gotten abused and neglected, at least I didn't have to watch it happen.

MC25
05-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Beggars cant be choosers. If you wanna sell your boat at asking which is insanely rare, take the offer and try to help show him the ropes. Take the money, cant believe people actually would be picky about someone paying them for anything! Im sure the hispanic that over paid for my lifted silverado now has that thing crunched into a ball or beat to hell. Do I care even though I dumped more money into it than I would like to admit? No. My new truck is nicer. Lol

StudLEE
05-28-2014, 02:25 AM
I'm with Aric, and a few others on this one. Sell it to the guy who's willing to pay full price and move on!. Who knows what kind of hassle / harassment the next guy will bring.. Then again, if there is that much sentimental value in your boat, (which tends to be alot when you put the blood, sweat, tears into anything) maybe you should just hang on to it, until the time is right!. Good luck with your decision an whatever you decide to do!.

02ProstarSammyD
05-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Well we went with the low road and sold it. I told the kids this morning. Someone wasn't happy

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10353584_10101903312648109_6330042893630967311_n.j pg

MC25
05-28-2014, 01:51 PM
Well what are you picking up? Im pretty sure its not an mc, but im curious!

02ProstarSammyD
05-28-2014, 01:58 PM
We are in between 2 boats right now. Not sure if I wanna kick that drama llama but one is a 14' T22 and the other is a low hour bu LSV. We are leaning towards the 14' T22. We are still open if we find a good MC but for the price we are having a hard time rationalizing it. We were holding out until the NXT came out but it just didn't sell us.

2RLAKE
05-28-2014, 02:04 PM
I too would absolutely consider who the buyer is, and whether the boat will be taken care of. To most people, a boat is just a boat, but to many of us on here, there is an emotional attachment that need not be disregarded.

Just a guess, but if you restored the boat, and had to watch it get abused, I would say there is a good chance you end up buying it back years down the road.

good comment

I bought a new/one year old 2004 X9 that basically sat outside for a year and was filthy dirty. I spent a few days cleaning it up to make it new again. When I went to sell it, the first guy was a complete jerk, so i just drive away and left his wife screaming at him for being an arse ... their loss. I called #2 buyer who was ecstatic ... we ended up emailing each other over the years ... moral of the story is make sure it goes to the right buyer

MC25
05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
Hell I dont care what you do, your money. Lol. Dont get the lsv if you value rough water ride, but those are two good choices!

02ProstarSammyD
05-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Hell I dont care what you do, your money. Lol. Dont get the lsv if you value rough water ride, but those are two good choices!
hey you never know around here. I once got griped at for thinking about financing a boat haha.

Our lake is pretty rediculously smooth on most days and if its not we aren't riding. Our 209 is piss poor in rough water and it never bothered me until we went to other lakes. We really like the T for the room and simplicity behind it. Reminds us of buying a new old boat.