PDA

View Full Version : help with gauge cluster.

HRC
05-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Yesterday all my analog gauges stuck, oil, gas, tach, speed, and temp. My perfect pass and depth gauge kept working. I turned the battery switch off and they stayed in the same position. Later they all quit working. Its a 2001 Pro star 205 v with the LTR engine. Any ideas?

Jeff d
05-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a bad MDC and they aren't cheap. It's the black box under the dash but you should check all connections to be sure though. Often there is obvious physical damage to the MDC due to improper winterization.

Your gauges aren't really typical analog gauges. They're displays with stepping motors in them. The MDC gathers data from the various analog senders (oil pressure, fuel level, water temp, speedo pitot, etc) and then sends some sort of proprietary signal to the appropriate gauge to tell it where to move its needle. IMHO it's an asinine way of doing it and I'm not sure why it's so popular among boat manufacturers.

19_Skier
05-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Yesterday all my analog gauges stuck, oil, gas, tach, speed, and temp. My perfect pass and depth gauge kept working. I turned the battery switch off and they stayed in the same position. Later they all quit working. Its a 2001 Pro star 205 v with the LTR engine. Any ideas?

Yeah, sounds like your MDC box may be toast. Had to replace mine at the beginning of last year. Pulled the speedo tubes off the box and water came rolling out - lesson learned. Go under the drive seat and pull the speedo tubes, my bet is there was water in the tubes that go forced into the MDC box. Unfortunately, these boxes aren't cheap - believe it was over $400 Cdn last year.

Hope that solves your issue.

Jeff d
05-26-2014, 12:03 PM
I'll be ordering my gauges for this project in the next few days:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=60338

If all goes well it's certainly the way to go if you have a bad MDC.

HRC
05-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. The gauges started working again this morning.

HRC
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Another question since this forum has so much knowledge. My gauges quit again and when I got under the dash to remove the MDC, it was mounted upside down from the arrow on it. How much could this have contributed to it messing up?

Jeff d
06-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Another question since this forum has so much knowledge. My gauges quit again and when I got under the dash to remove the MDC, it was mounted upside down from the arrow on it. How much could this have contributed to it messing up?
Probably a lot. It would cause it to retain a larger volume of water if it's upside down. Freeze damage does happen with them right side up but I'd think it would be significantly more likely upside down.