PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a bad fuel pump?

jgraham37128
05-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Boat ran great all day, just like normal. I go to the marina have dinner, head back to my marina and half way through the no wake zone it starts sputtering till it dies. I start it up and it idles but as soon as you give it gas it would die. Long story short I finally get it back to the dock after multiple times starting it and letting it spit a few ft and then die again. At one point it lets me rev the motor then a few seconds later it sputters again till it dies.

Does this sound like a bad fuel pump?

I have a 2010 Mastercraft X2 with 187 hours. Three year warranty is days from running out or has just ran out. It's May 20 something 2014 when it expires.

sand2snow22
05-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Sounds more like fuel filter. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Hard on pump, tho. Don't be surprised if your pump goes down the road..

jgraham37128
05-25-2014, 07:13 AM
I've never changed the fuel filter. From what I understand the filter and pump is built together inside the tank?

ttu
05-25-2014, 07:41 AM
my 07 x2 did the same exact thing and it turned out to be the fuel pump. first mechanic replaced the fuel filter and ran a bit then started everything again.

my dealer told me I was lucky to have gotten 250 hrs out of pump!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jovoth
05-25-2014, 08:15 AM
When my fuel pump went out on my 07 X2 my wife had just pulled me up out of the water and then everything just shut down. Engine turned over fine just no spark, nothing happened, wouldn't even start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgraham37128
05-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Fuel pump is out and I'm hoping to meet with someone at the dealership to get a new one today.

Does anyone know what the warranty period is for a Mastercraft fuel pump? My boat was purchased new in May of 2011. I know the motor has a three year warranty and I'm hoping the fuel pump will have the same warranty?

jgraham37128
05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Ok, my boat is back up and running, which is a good thing. I really can't believe a fuel pump would go out in the first three years of a boat with 190 hours, but it can happen.

Things I did learn from my experience. If you find yourself on the water with a fuel pump that goes bad don't freak out, you should be able to get back but it may take a while. So I was idling thru a no wake zone when mine happened. It ran fine all day and was idling just fine going out then it spits, sputters and dies. I give it a second and start it again, it will start but won't really do anything when I place it in gear then it would die. Once it seemed like it was going to run but soon then died again.

It's an electric fuel pump turn the key on and let pressure build up. Once pressure builds up place it in gear and go as far as you can. It will die again, but do the same thing. Turn the key to the on position and let the pump kick on, if you have to turn the key back off, then back on to pump up the pressure again. The pump will kick on for three seconds when the key is turned on. I wish i had known this last week. It would've made the trip back to the dock much more enjoyable.

I replaced my pump with a Carter P74118. It worked perfect, and I got it for $38.00 off Ebay.

Replacing it was easy it was just 12 bolts, but you will need a GM quick release fuel wrench. You can get them at any auto parts store. There is a clip on the fuel line that has to be removed and I'll post pics later. I would recommend a new gasket for sure.

jgraham37128
05-30-2014, 08:22 AM
Here's some pics from my journey.

craig3972
05-30-2014, 09:51 AM
I always carry a spare now

blackhawk
05-30-2014, 10:35 AM
jgraham - Did the new pump come with a new fuel hose or did you just re-use the old one? What type of clamps did you use on the fuel hose inside the module?

jgraham37128
05-30-2014, 12:08 PM
I re used the original. It was the new style since my boat is the 2010 X2.

I used what Napa called a fuel injector clamp. It was real small and worked perfect.

Here's a pic of one.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-hk9329?seid=srese1&gclid=CjgKEAjw2KCcBRCQ_6mztcunhEgSJABPxOF1IDVScmoU hZH66A4NUPXb3eOZu3u96jwkxY4W9PhRmfD_BwE

dsword
06-01-2014, 01:19 AM
Ok, my boat is back up and running, which is a good thing. I really can't believe a fuel pump would go out in the first three years of a boat with 190 hours, but it can happen.

Things I did learn from my experience. If you find yourself on the water with a fuel pump that goes bad don't freak out, you should be able to get back but it may take a while. So I was idling thru a no wake zone when mine happened. It ran fine all day and was idling just fine going out then it spits, sputters and dies. I give it a second and start it again, it will start but won't really do anything when I place it in gear then it would die. Once it seemed like it was going to run but soon then died again.

It's an electric fuel pump turn the key on and let pressure build up. Once pressure builds up place it in gear and go as far as you can. It will die again, but do the same thing. Turn the key to the on position and let the pump kick on, if you have to turn the key back off, then back on to pump up the pressure again. The pump will kick on for three seconds when the key is turned on. I wish i had known this last week. It would've made the trip back to the dock much more enjoyable.

I replaced my pump with a Carter P74118. It worked perfect, and I got it for $38.00 off Ebay.

Replacing it was easy it was just 12 bolts, but you will need a GM quick release fuel wrench. You can get them at any auto parts store. There is a clip on the fuel line that has to be removed and I'll post pics later. I would recommend a new gasket for sure.

You cannot always count on your fuel pump failing in such a way that you can make it back. I have had three fuel pump failures in the past 6 years. The first one went out on the way back to the marina. The engine just died. Luckily we were close to the dock and got a tow. The second failure the pump did not fail completely but gave insufficient volume for the engine to run correctly. It was running super lean and backfired and would lose power. For the third failure we had just been out on a run and the boat ran perfectly. Docked for about three hours. Started engine and it died right after starting. Would not start again. So three failures and three different failure modes. I am keeping the canister after this fix and will put an aftermarket pump in it for a spare that will be a quick swap.

David Sword

wilhelmwake
06-01-2014, 05:01 AM
Is the pump model from carter the same for every mc model that has the in tank fuel pump? Does this part number match with my x45 2007 pump for my 8.1 liter engine?

jgraham37128
06-01-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure. I assume so, but you may want to do a little more research. I wasn't sure it would even work in mine either when I purchased it. I ran a tank thru it yesterday surfing and it ran perfect.