PDA

View Full Version : Smith lake is a disaster

skitilldark
05-24-2014, 08:18 PM
I've never seen so much floating debris In a lake this size. We hit a sibmerged log just under the surface and bent the prop. No other damage to shaft or running gear. Who knows where I might find an OJ prop on a Sunday?

scott023
05-24-2014, 08:33 PM
That's the craps. Sorry to hear. If I was closer, I'd lend my spare to you.

bamabonners
05-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Guntersville was the same way. I found a small bend on my prop today too. I believe the flooding rain last week has washed all this junk into the lakes. It will settle down in time.... Just have to make sure we keep an eye out for debris.

mccobmd
05-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Yeah, that really sucks. I learned the hard way and bought a new prop, had the old one repaired now have a spare and the tools to change it every trip.

skitilldark
05-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Yeah, that really sucks. I learned the hard way and bought a new prop, had the old one repaired now have a spare and the tools to change it every trip.

I think this is some sort of curse I have. EVERY new Mastercraft I have ever owned, I bent the prop on either the first or second time out. And then I never hit anything else for the rest of the time I owned the boat! Well, at least the record is still intact. It DOES force you to have a spare prop though! I am REALLY lucky that all we bent is the prop. The impact was pretty hard. I'm going to have the dry dock folks pull the boat out this morning so I can make sure I didn't damage the hull.

WakeWise
05-25-2014, 09:47 AM
First time out this year same thing happened to me. Best of luck today.

WakeWise

skitilldark
05-25-2014, 10:16 AM
First time out this year same thing happened to me. Best of luck today.

WakeWise

Man, Sorry to heat that. *** to have that happen to a brand new boat. What prop are you replacing with? I've been reading about the ACME 1285. Seems to do really well with holeshot but not increasing RPMs at speed. Hope the rest of your trip goes better!

Jonb1822
05-25-2014, 10:26 AM
I think this is some sort of curse I have. EVERY new Mastercraft I have ever owned, I bent the prop on either the first or second time out. And then I never hit anything else for the rest of the time I owned the boat! Well, at least the record is still intact. It DOES force you to have a spare prop though! I am REALLY lucky that all we bent is the prop. The impact was pretty hard. I'm going to have the dry dock folks pull the boat out this morning so I can make sure I didn't damage the hull.

Agree with the curse thing. Seems like every new boat or vehicle I buy, something gets messed up within the first couple of weeks and then nothing else the rest of the time own it. Drives me crazy!

skitilldark
05-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Follow up to the prop hit. Picked the boat out of the water. Not too bad, just a couple of very small dings. But one thing I wanted to see if it is significant or not, there is hot water running out of the prop shaft seal. Don't recall seeing this on the other MC's I've had, but I wasn't really looking for it either. Normal or a problem?

snork
05-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Normal for hot water coming from you shaft seal

skitilldark
05-25-2014, 08:23 PM
Normal for hot water coming from you shaft seal

Awesome snork...thanks.

bamabonners
05-26-2014, 12:22 AM
Really??!! I didn't realize hot water came out..... I was surprised any water at all comes out. Thanks for the education.

stuartmcnair
05-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Same issue on Yellow Creek...more crap in the water than I have ever seen. Looks like someone sat on the bank mulching trees into the water. After each run I had to clean the fresh water intake screens because they would be completely clogged.

They need to open the gates on Bankhead and let that **** go on to Northport...

76S&S
05-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Hey Stuart, is there a public ramp at Yellow Creek?

Table Rocker
05-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Really??!! I didn't realize hot water came out..... I was surprised any water at all comes out. Thanks for the education.It comes out the bottom of the boat around the shaft, not in the bilge.

stuartmcnair
05-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Hey Stuart, is there a public ramp at Yellow Creek?

yeah, Williams Camp...we use the launch at my place though. Have to have 4-wheel drive but it is an easy roll in

76S&S
05-27-2014, 04:02 PM
yeah, Williams Camp...we use the launch at my place though. Have to have 4-wheel drive but it is an easy roll in

Awesome, thanks. We are on the north end of Lake Tuscaloosa and have been discussing trailering over to the river. It wouldn't be far at all to drop in at Yellow Creek and then head up river to the old stomping grounds.

CC2MC
05-27-2014, 04:09 PM
It was that way on Martin as well. I hit a branch with my sky ski and it took me down. Thankfully no damage though.

skitilldark
05-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Awesome, thanks. We are on the north end of Lake Tuscaloosa and have been discussing trailering over to the river. It wouldn't be far at all to drop in at Yellow Creek and then head up river to the old stomping grounds.

LOVE lake Tuscaloosa. If they had a place like Silverock Cove on that lake, I would be there in a second.