PDA

View Full Version : MDC help

web2323
05-24-2014, 08:02 PM
I hope this is posted in the right area.

Here is a little background on my issue:

2000 PS 195 with 350 hours. Boat stored in Ohio.

Late summer of 2012 my gauges died.

Spring of 2013 I replaced my MDC, gauges worked.

Maiden voyage 2014 and my gauges are dead again.

I looked down by the MDC and there was rusty water stains on the carpet. I took the MDC off and shook it and its full of water.

There was a little water that dripped out of the pickup tubes when I disconnected the MDC but nothing crazy.

Is there another issue with water getting in there or is it because I was an idiot and didnt disconnect it for the winter? I would hate to keep replacing the MDC every year if there is another issue of an overabundance of water getting in there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

HAPPY SKIING!

Spork
05-24-2014, 10:45 PM
I hope this is posted in the right area.

Here is a little background on my issue:

2000 PS 195 with 350 hours. Boat stored in Ohio.

Late summer of 2012 my gauges died.

Spring of 2013 I replaced my MDC, gauges worked.

Maiden voyage 2014 and my gauges are dead again.

I looked down by the MDC and there was rusty water stains on the carpet. I took the MDC off and shook it and its full of water.

There was a little water that dripped out of the pickup tubes when I disconnected the MDC but nothing crazy.

Is there another issue with water getting in there or is it because I was an idiot and didnt disconnect it for the winter? I would hate to keep replacing the MDC every year if there is another issue of an overabundance of water getting in there.

Thanks in advance for your help!

HAPPY SKIING!

I would think it froze and is damaged, perhaps when winterizing disconnect the mdc and store inside?

agua4fun
05-25-2014, 09:32 AM
I went through the same thing a few years ago. The mdc holds water, therefore you need to "winterize" it. Removing the hoses is all you need to do. I have heard of people taking the mdc indoors in the winter. Overboard maybe, but it only takes 5 min. to remove.

swatguy
05-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Your MDC is toast. This unit is prone to failing over the winter months. Especially if the speedo tubes are not left disconnected. Once the diaphragm is leaking it's beyond repair. The crap part is Medallion just raised the prices almost double to get you hands on one from them. So if your dealer doesn't have one in stock at the old price call around to several others. Otherwise getting one ordered is going to be around 550 with shipping.

I am in the "removal for winter storage " crew. It takes me all of 2 min and then I know there is no chance of failure. This unit is so fragile I can't believe they haven't remade it somehow in an update. Guess it's a "money maker" though. The good news is your boat will function and run without te gauges functioning. It won't hurt the boat. Just remeber to pull the tubes and leave them off all winter next year at the least, again though for around 300- now 600 I'll pull it for piece of mind .

73blue
05-26-2014, 06:06 AM
There have been a few threads lately where people have deleted the MDC and installed Faria or Teleflex gauges. All the actual sensors on the engine will wire up directly to the new gauges and a complete set is <$200 I think. Im leaning that way myself as my temp and RPM gauge quit last year. Then no worrying about disconnecting or removal in winter