PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Voyage!

giantjoe
05-23-2014, 07:34 PM
We FINALLY got out on the water this afternoon. We bought our first boat in November on faith that it was seaworthy/ran, and we got out today. I dewinterized, changed the impeller, and messed around with it for the last week. Today was the shakedown ride. No skis in the boat, no friends, just our family and our new toy. I'm so happy! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/jahedyva.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/u6umu6uj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/hageru7a.jpg

JMLVMI
05-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Congrats! Love the boat, but I'm a bit biased ;)

blackhawk
05-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Congrats, good looking boat.

2RLAKE
05-23-2014, 09:47 PM
awesome ... your daughter's smile is priceless!

DonB
05-23-2014, 10:27 PM
What 2Rlake said.

brighac
05-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Many years of fun to come.

skitilldark
05-24-2014, 12:13 AM
We FINALLY got out on the water this afternoon. We bought our first boat in November on faith that it was seaworthy/ran, and we got out today. I dewinterized, changed the impeller, and messed around with it for the last week. Today was the shakedown ride. No skis in the boat, no friends, just our family and our new toy. I'm so happy! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/jahedyva.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/u6umu6uj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/24/hageru7a.jpg

Every dollar you spent is worth that precious face right there.

KnoxX2
05-24-2014, 12:32 AM
Congratulations! You have a beautiful family.

giantjoe
05-24-2014, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the compliments. The 5 year old is so ecstatic all the time, I tend to forget or not fully appreciate her enthusiasm...

Now that everyone is in bed, I can take some time to share the experience. We chose today because it was a workday, and we knew the launch wouldn't be busy. We wanted to take a very methodical approach to launching our first inboard. We have a pretty good history with trailering, and boating in general. I'm kind of a farm boy, and my wife grew up boating behind an outboard. I've been boating since we met about 18 years ago, but have only driven three times in all that time. Only pulled one skier ever...

I took a bunch of time this week to clean up the boat, put all our equipment on board, and to dewinterize. Thankfully, the impeller is so easy to change on DD as I've done it on a V-drive before and don't miss that experience. I installed all the hoses, temperature gauge plug, and tried to figure out where the shower got the hot feed from for about 10 minutes. Everything was set up and ready to launch. Plug went in in the backyard.

We drove out to the lake and just like we wanted the launch was empty. I took lots of time putting the trailer in and watching carefully for when the boat began to float. Great, I found the float point, now loading will be easy! Next is check the bilge, no problems. float the boat over to the dock and park the truck. I head down to the water and while the wife and kids are in the boat ask them to check the bilge again. No problems, lets see if the engine fires. (I bought it in the dead of winter so I really was going on faith there.) Engine fired and all gauges read well, beautiful! Next was time to check the drive train, put it in reverse and hear the trademark whine, and spin 90 degrees towards the starboard before I even have a chance to react, I didn't know it spun that quickly in reverse. No problems, just a surprise. Put it in forward gear and pull away nicely.

Depth gauge, check! Engine temp, check!, Oil pressure, check! Speedos, not so great (at idle). Next up was going under the road, after minor inspection, I knew the tower had to come down. Too bad the lock pins were so hard to take out. I get the tower down and start to approach the bridge, and see the tower is within millimeters of the top, I'll risk it I think, but no, the aluminum scraped the concrete just a bit and I had to emergency back out. Eek! starboard twist, shallow water, wind and a bridge all come together to make my wife panic! I managed to maneuver us to a safe position and gave me some time to think about my next step.

I noticed while the tower was coming down that it was actually lower when the rear was being held up a bit, so I offered to hold it up while my wife drove, but she wasn't confident enough, so the roles were reversed. I drove, held the baby, and addressed the teenagers under the bridge that were asking their regular substitute teacher (me) for a ride, and watched the tower height. We went through without a hitch, and discovered that the tower pins were actually in backwards which made them so hard to pull. I put them in the other way and it was so simple. We were underway!

Now it was time to test the holeshot, and higher speeds, but it was windy and the lake was chop. I took her up to speed but she wouldn't seem to plane and seemed like there was not enough power to pull a skier. Crap! What's wrong with this boat? That's when I noticed the PerfectPass we had installed over the winter was engaged at 24.5 MPH. Lame, turn it off and everything was peachy.

The rest of the voyage was uneventful, I checked out the shower, forgot to check the heater, opened the engine cover and checked for leaks and the rest of the afternoon was lovely. Loading was uneventful, and we had a very successful first outing.

It's great when you buy something and it turns out exactly like you expect. What a great boat, we are sure to have years of enjoyment. The 5 year old cried that we wouldn't let her try skiing today since we didn't have enough eyes in the boat today. She insists she's going to be a better skier than her mother.

WakeWise
05-24-2014, 01:53 AM
Congratulations. Making memories with the fam...priceless!

WakeWise

scott023
05-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Congrats. A memorable day, for sure.

atthelake
05-24-2014, 04:04 AM
Pretty cool breakdown of the day. Cheers and good on ya'.

Double D
05-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Congrats and nice boat, family and story.

CaptainKirk
05-24-2014, 11:00 AM
Great story...enjoy!

Tony Webb
05-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Always great when things work out the way you want them to

Enjoy....

skitilldark
05-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Awesome day. Thanks for sharing. And enjoy!

CiscoStu
05-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Looks like the kind of day we all dream of! That was Chestermere?

giantjoe
05-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Yep, Chestermere. It was brutal chop though.