PDA

View Full Version : The battle to boat

uplander
05-22-2014, 06:06 PM
I have found that recently I am the only one in my family who truly enjoys the boat. I am on the verge of selling but can't make myself do it. Just wondering if others have the same issue and how do you handle it. It kills me to have the boat sit in storage and not getting used.

I will take any advice or suggestions

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Why the loss of interest from the family? Is it the wife or kids?

mzimme
05-22-2014, 06:13 PM
How old are the kids?

uplander
05-22-2014, 06:16 PM
Kids will turn 13 and 15 this year, It feels like I have to beg them to come out and I am not the type to force them to come. The wife has seemed to lose interest over the years. This will be our 20th year on the lake together but we took a 5 yr break when the kids were born.

atthelake
05-22-2014, 06:27 PM
What's the situation regarding the "rules of the boat"? No this, no that, no fun? Or are you pretty liberal?
I always found telling the kids to invite over as many friends as possible to go out on the boat is the best way for me to stay out there on it.
Do you guys only go out as a family unit or do you always invite over some of your peeps as well?
Are they going out in other peoples newer "fancier" boats?
Are they able to pick the watersport they want to do, ie is it a "no tubing" boat etc etc?

jk13
05-22-2014, 06:27 PM
If the 13 and 15 year olds can drive for you, have them invite a friend. Rotate days with different family members if necessary.

I feel your pain, hard to look at the boat sit in the driveway on an 80 degree dead calm day. There are reasons I have those days with my family too. Frustrating. Last season I actually took the dog to the sandbar by myself when the kids were out of town just to get on the water.

ledger78
05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Get more friends and family involved so ur family can show them the ropes may rekindle interest, we always have an extended crew makes it more fun :)

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I got my wife into wakesurfing and now she looks FWD to going out just as much as I do. Kids all grew-up on the lake each weekend. Kids are all teens now except the 6 yr old. I try and keep the kids interested in water sports as much as I can with any type of sport they want to try. As far as friends I have told them they can have as many as possible.

Blmeanie
05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I'm in similar boat. Wife gets motion sickness. Kids would all (5) rather bury their noses in laptop or handheld devices. I don't get it. Luckily I foil with neighbor most weekends April-Oct.

uplander
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
They pretty much can do want they want on the boat, I always try to tube at the end. Tried the daughter driving last year but she got nervous. My son is pretty conservative kid, he is nervous about the boat and others coming at him. He is very safety oriented. I do encourage them to bring friends but seems like schedules with the kids are crazy. When I was a kid we went boating, you really never had a choice, I spent hours in a 16' fishing boat bored out of my mind but it hooked me to the water.

Both set's of my grandparents were boater's so I also boated with them.

We pretty much only boat with the family and the friends that have time to come. Have not invited many adults out with us, it always seems awkward because non of our friends are water peeps.

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but, your problem may not be the boat with the kids. We have the same problem with laptops or phones with our kids and I believe most parents in the world do with this generation.
The past few years we have been taking a week and renting a house on the lake. This house has no internet and there is no cell service. Every year the kids complain the first day or so and then they find things to do. After about 2 days they forget about the phones and just enjoy the lake. At least for that week they get to experience a vacation like we did growing up. They look FWD to that week each year now.

Just a thought!

Kweisner
05-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Is it that they don't enjoy themselves once they are on the boat, or more a matter of resisting going TO the boat or lake? As a kid, I always resisted going to the beach (took it for granted), but always enjoyed it once we were there. Sometimes it's just the initial resistance that can be overcome with "brute force" knowing it'll be all good once out on the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

atthelake
05-22-2014, 07:07 PM
They pretty much can do want they want on the boat, I always try to tube at the end. Tried the daughter driving last year but she got nervous. My son is pretty conservative kid, he is nervous about the boat and others coming at him. He is very safety oriented. I do encourage them to bring friends but seems like schedules with the kids are crazy. When I was a kid we went boating, you really never had a choice, I spent hours in a 16' fishing boat bored out of my mind but it hooked me to the water.

We pretty much only boat with the family and the friends that have time to come. Have not invited many adults out with us, it always seems awkward because non of our friends are water peeps.

This can be tough too. My oldest son (17) wanted to start working this year over the summer to make $$$ for girlfriend, fuel, parties etc, but I had to make the choice of telling him that dad would be his boss and he would get a healthy "paycheck" to stay at the cabin all summer and go out on the boat. Same reason my daughter (going to college) this fall is taking the summer off from work as well. My youngest son (16) has already decided he's going to be a "stay at home son" so we're kinda set up that way...haha. I know it's gonna cost me an extra $4-7K this summer easily, but at least they'll be around most of the time.

I would get my non water peeps to become water peeps. Overload them with invites until they all get as hooked as you. Spend just as much time floating and swimming as you do pulling. Get them all surfing. If all else fails, get pictures of them in awkward positions and use it as blackmail.

I find that when I ask my kids friends to come out on the boat they tend to come out more often. I think it's the whole teenager thing they have going on. You know, the "never sound excited about something just in case it's not as exciting as you led on it would be and now your friends think you're a schmoe so you now have to downplay all your invites, thoughts or suggestions just in case they are not the MOST FUN EVER and you live a life of loneliness and ridicule" thing. Kids are weird that way.

jafo9
05-22-2014, 07:32 PM
do your kids ski or board? mine get pretty bored just being on the boat, but they know that they are in the rotation for their turn/pull. then when we have company, they are stoked to "show off" their skills. having other kids onboard always helps. if they are bored, they can interact with each other. my 14y/o son has routinely told me its more fun to have guests around.

73blue
05-22-2014, 08:14 PM
I know a guy who had similar issues with his kids. He had a really nice boat and loved the lake, but he really tried to force it on his kids. Surprised them with trips to wakeboard camp and everything, even thought they werent that into it. They finally just stopped going with him altogether. Dont know if he still has the boat or not.

My dad was similar with us as well. I loved the lake, but he really tried to force skiing on me. Got to where it just wasnt enjoyable until a few years later when my friends got into it.

My suggestion is dont push it. Let them go if they want, but find a few guys that want to be out there, will chip in for gas, etc. Maybe when your kids' friends are around, casually drop some invites. They may push your kids back into it.

WakeWise
05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Atthelake you are right on. I told my kids when they wanted to start working in HS. You can work your whole life. I'll cover you and let's have some fun. You all are right on. Invite friends and then invite more friends. Try everything behind the boat. Make it fun. Let them all have turns as DJ's with their music. That helps as well.

WakeWise

mgs96ps
05-22-2014, 08:23 PM

ttu
05-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but, your problem may not be the boat with the kids. We have the same problem with laptops or phones with our kids and I believe most parents in the world do with this generation.
The past few years we have been taking a week and renting a house on the lake. This house has no internet and there is no cell service. Every year the kids complain the first day or so and then they find things to do. After about 2 days they forget about the phones and just enjoy the lake. At least for that week they get to experience a vacation like we did growing up. They look FWD to that week each year now.

Just a thought!

knox, I don't think anyone could say it any better!! if they can't text or instagram non stop it seems like the their world has ended!

I did finally give in on getting a damm lily pad! really seems to make the kids enjoy going out more. we board and surf first and then go back to the marina and get the lily pad and head back out and enjoy.

uplander
05-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies, my kids kneeboard, just started surfing and like to tube. I never get the hey let's go boating, it is always me wanting to go and I can tell it is a chore for the wife. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments. I am glad I posted because it has given me hope. I do not want to list the boat and have held off.

atihanyi
05-22-2014, 11:32 PM
Kinda ran into the same issue with the kids in my family . We don't have any of our own but we moved onto the lake 14 years ago and the kids would come up and be on my Wi-Fi on the dock .Slowly they started to discover the boats and diving dock and especially the Polaris pwc . I spent a ton on gas for a couple years keeping them happy and now they are constantly at our place from ice out to school . Being on the lake makes a difference as it is all not boat focused and they can go at it as they please . Maybe try renting a place on the lake for a summer and see if that changes their minds .

mzimme
05-22-2014, 11:48 PM
You ever take them camping? I know part of what makes me enjoy the lake so much is knowing I'm going camping after the day on the lake. I don't have kids or a wife, but I do entertain a lot of my friends by rotating 8-10 people through surfing, hanging at the sand bar, and just generally doing what they want to do. They all drink, have fun, get sun burned, and then when we go back to the camp site... its my turn!

Having something besides just "boat boat boat" might help as mentioned above. Maybe make a weekend out of it, get a pop up trailer with air conditioning, and give it a try.

FoggyNogginz
05-22-2014, 11:51 PM

Just a thought!

We do EXACTLY the same. Norris lake in TN has nearly no cell service, and we love it that way!

uplander
05-23-2014, 12:08 AM
We rented a camper once with the boat, that was a few years ago and it went pretty good. We rented at Lake of the Ozarks for a week last year. There was a weak signal that they could get if they sat outside on a table. I think the week at the lake is about the best but I am still the one wanting to go boating while they sit in the condo. I would love to have a place on the water but I think that would make it worse if we would not use it.

02ProstarSammyD
05-23-2014, 08:35 AM
my ex wife hated the boat............ex

my fiance loves the boat and is begging me to buy a new one so we can surf etc

I agree with others saying to take a week long trip though. Cut off the cells, laptops, and make everyone be a family for a week. It does wonders. Granted my kids are 7 & 8 but I don't hear anything about ipads etc on the weekend b/c they know its boat time.

3event
05-23-2014, 08:42 AM
If you get a reasonable deal on lake property and buy in a good location you're pretty unlikely to lose money on it - it could even be a good investment. We're blessed with a family cabin - I imagine if we were trailering around I probably couldn't keep my teenagers on the "lake plan". The property is great for hanging out and whether they are out in the boat all day or not, they can find something to do or just relax. Spotty cell coverage, no cable TV, no internet.

jamespjackson95
05-23-2014, 09:53 AM
When I was 15 I loved the water... Heck I bought my first boat when I was 15.... It was a little 1988 sunbird that I put a monster tower on and tons of TLC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmikler
05-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Be subversive and asks your kids friends in passing in front of your kids if they want to go to the lake with you, your wife and kids. I bet if the friends get excited your kids will to.

mgs96ps
05-23-2014, 10:11 AM

bsloop
05-23-2014, 10:37 AM
This might be blasphemous to some of the ski purists on here but maybe spice things up with a pwc?
Some kids are looking for some individual power and independence. I just picked up an older 95 sea doo gtx with trailer for $800. Ran decent and with a little carb cleaner runs even better. 3 seater and it does 40 which is plenty fast but conservative compared to newer supercharged 65+mph rockets. Another good thing is, they have their hands full of other things and cant have the phone out ;)
OP's kids sound on the more timid/conservative side so this may not work for you since you describe them as not interested in driving and fears of control. On the other hand, something lighter and not Dad's baby of 10 years may carry less inhibitions of "What if...."

My 5 yr old is a lake rat to begin with. Swims all day, mixes it up with the big kids on Lilly pads, steers and works the throttle some on the boat BUT we are already having phone/kindle battles so I feel that pain (I imagine teens are several times more head strong about leaving those behind).
She is loving the pwc and is probably going to be major bummed when I flip sell it in the next couple weeks.

Safety is always a factor but even if they are just running around the boat with friends, the spice and independence may be enough? Worst case you can sell it for near the same money you have in it.

atthelake
05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Be subversive and asks your kids friends in passing in front of your kids if they want to go to the lake with you, your wife and kids. I bet if the friends get excited your kids will to.

I agree. If they see other kids get excited about it, maybe they will too.

MattsCraft
05-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Well boys, really hate to say it, but I think I am in the same "boat" as the OP:(. My older children (24-27-28) just are not into it as much anymore. Grand Kids are all 5 & under. My son/first mate is tired of all the prep and un-prep for a days outing. (We Trailer) It just does not make sense for this much of an expense on a depreciating asset (2103 X25) that will be getting less and less use each year. I did mange to burn 86 running hours last year (boat was new), but it became a hassle by last years end to get them to come out.

Everyone, family and friends still enjoy the annual week long Norris trip, but that's about it. The option for a lake house does not make sense due to Norris is about the only decent somewhat close option (4 Hours), nor do I have the time or energy for upkeep and maintenance on 2 properties. My job keeps me in Cincy, so moving to TN is not an option for now, so it looks like I will most likely be departing this MC family at the end of the season.

Decision is not 100%, but a strong 75-80% I will be selling my precious (to me) X25 in the fall.

Now my question is what the heck do I do in the summer!

mitchelmilitiapres
05-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Adopt an avid wakeboarder and surfer like myself who is always willing to contribute gas and beer!

curver900
05-27-2014, 11:32 AM
you will take a bit of a hit in the fall for it:o... someone will get lucky..

VP46
05-27-2014, 11:36 AM
To the OP - I worry about this too..

I enrolled my then 12yo son in a wakeboarding camp last yr with a kid a yr older that we knew through daughters soccer. He came back more interested in surfing than wakeboarding and I'm ok with that. While I'm a little disappointed he hasn't touched the wakeboard since..... this year he is asking me to attend the camp with him. <-- a positive sign of life!

My advice, get him and a buddy into a camp together to hone their skills (maybe join him if the camp allows). He might just come back from that begging to show you what he learned. (even if it is just wireless surfing)

Note he is an interesting kid:
excellent student and knows it - very athletic but is completely clueless about it... LAX/H2o polo kid - he is timid in some respects and wildly outward in others. (just don't throw him into the 67 degree water even if he is trying to push you in. Yesterday I learned nothing pisses him off more than to lose that battle - <sigh>).

3event
05-27-2014, 12:39 PM
If you are close enough to any competitions (eg Malibu Open in Milwaukee) and can swing by one of those for a few hours with some/part/all of the family, your kids can see lots of other good looking and talented kids showing what they can do. They've got food and beverages so worst case you ended up buying a meal for the gang on the fly.

Approach an athlete or two - my son talked to Chris Parrish and Jamie Beauchesne at the Malibu open and got their autographs - plus several others

The downside of these sports is that kids never really see them on media/tv and don't find any heroes. Upside is if you show up, you can shake their hands. And there are some folks of all ages in these sports with pretty good strength of character - if you look.....

pap
05-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Group of teens on boat, all sitting peering into their i-devices....

Typical.

Sad.

tylerd
05-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Hopefully they come around soon. I am 21 right now. I didn't grow up with a boat. My Dad was a golfer. Granted, I wouldn't trade the memories being on a golf course with my Dad for anything. My girlfriend grew up boating, and I loved being able to spend time with her Dad on the boat. A lot of times, it was just he and I on the boat, since here siblings lost interest as well. He taught me everything I know about boats, and I am very grateful for that experience as well.

Hopefully your kids realize how great the memories they make now really are. I'm entering the "real world" and would give anything to be playing golf with my Dad again and not stressing about finishing school and starting a career. Best of luck!

atthelake
05-28-2014, 02:50 AM
Well boys, really hate to say it, but I think I am in the same "boat" as the OP:(. My older children (24-27-28) just are not into it as much anymore. Grand Kids are all 5 & under. My son/first mate is tired of all the prep and un-prep for a days outing. (We Trailer) It just does not make sense for this much of an expense on a depreciating asset (2103 X25) that will be getting less and less use each year. I did mange to burn 86 running hours last year (boat was new), but it became a hassle by last years end to get them to come out.

Everyone, family and friends still enjoy the annual week long Norris trip, but that's about it. The option for a lake house does not make sense due to Norris is about the only decent somewhat close option (4 Hours), nor do I have the time or energy for upkeep and maintenance on 2 properties. My job keeps me in Cincy, so moving to TN is not an option for now, so it looks like I will most likely be departing this MC family at the end of the season.

Decision is not 100%, but a strong 75-80% I will be selling my precious (to me) X25 in the fall.

It may be time to get into a pontoon. I know, I know but hey, boating is boating. You could keep the 25, a good used 22' pontoon shouldn't run you more than 15-18k. Getting out on the water is the main thing!!!

ipm983
05-29-2014, 04:28 PM
That's because she is your fiance.:D

Hahaha!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

etduc
05-29-2014, 05:18 PM
I have found that recently I am the only one in my family who truly enjoys the boat. I am on the verge of selling but can't make myself do it. Just wondering if others have the same issue and how do you handle it. It kills me to have the boat sit in storage and not getting used.

I will take any advice or suggestions

Move to DFW, buy a GO-Fast boat, hang-out with KYLE! :cool:

That's all I got. :rolleyes:

lashburn1
05-29-2014, 09:58 PM
After our last camping and boating trip over memorial day,
I told my wife I am removing all iPhones, iPads, iPods from our kids possession
I also changed all the Internet passwords at home on our computers.

It has been an interesting last three days at home.
But I am sick of watching them stare into their devices....

I don't think my oldest daughter has a friend that she is actually spoken to in the last year.

I am done with it.

All three of my daughters are excellent students, so I thought it was okay to let them do what they want as long as they have good grades.

But the way they interact with each other today, is not how the world will work when we turn them over to it.

Wish me luck, but our family is not going to go with the norm on the, kids staring into
Electronic devices.

They may or may not want to really go on the boat, or go to the beach, or go outside. But they are not going to stare into the abyss anymore

MC25
05-29-2014, 10:03 PM
Adopt an avid wakeboarder and surfer like myself who is always willing to contribute gas and beer!

x2!!! lol

mikeg205
05-29-2014, 10:27 PM
use meetup.com to make some new friends. My wife is not a big boater. she grew up on boats and picked up a few minor injuries water skiing - so she's not really into it. She's my driver but it's only for a short time. It's awesome when she comes out - but more than 3 hours and she's done. I met some new friends on Meetup.com and ski every sunday with them and I have other friends I boat with during the week.

It's good to have activities that are all you... gives ya something to talk about. :) :D :D

texasjet
05-29-2014, 10:36 PM

I don't think my oldest daughter has a friend that she is actually spoken to in the last year.

I am done with it.

All three of my daughters are excellent students, so I thought it was okay to let them do what they want as long as they have good grades.

But the way they interact with each other today, is not how the world will work when we turn them over to it.

Wish me luck, but our family is not going to go with the norm on the, kids staring into
Electronic devices.

They may or may not want to really go on the boat, or go to the beach, or go outside. But they are not going to stare into the abyss anymore

Well good for you! Not sure how this will go but I love your approach. If I can find the link there is a video that I think you will appreciate. It is generally about how the electronic world has has changed our interactions with our world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MC25
05-29-2014, 10:41 PM
You know from my point of view (I'm 19 going on 20 in june) taking away the phones and stuff is gonna give you the opposite effect of what you think will happen. forcing them to spend time with you is really going to make them resent you in some shape or form.

Look into att smart limits if thats who you have for your cellular carrier, and turn off their service when you want a set family time or whatever.

texasjet
05-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Here is the video link that I referenced in my prior post. I know the use of technology is a bit of a religious battle. I would also consider myself pretty technology savy... At least for my age. 😱😱😱

I think some of it comes down to convince and respect. When us older folks were young wasn't always convenient to talk with our friends, and of course there was no computer or internet, so you found ways to enjoy and entertain yourself. On the respect note, when we we're young and there was family time, it just didn't go over well to ignore your family. And while I don't think that is what our young folks think they are doing.... In reality they are choosing to NOT spend time with the ones that are with.

Anyway, here is the video if you have a chance to take a look.

http://blog.petflow.com/a-video-everyone-needs-to-see/

MC25
05-29-2014, 11:12 PM
I wish I could say that video is an exaggeration, but it isn't. There is a lot of things that contribute to the whole social media aspect of the younger generations lives. I know I might be young, but my generation did not have the technology that todays young ones have, nor was the internet extremely accessible like it is today. Social media does take away face to face interactions, but at the same time that has turned into societal norms. So it might be out of reach for you as parents to try and drill them out of their phones and iPads or whatever, because it is something society teaches them and not much to do with their home lives. But, like i said you should take up phones or put on the smart limits for times you want them to have all their attention on you, without taking them completely out of their social lives that has been predominantly shifted to online interactions. Be careful is the moral of my rant, as many of us (including myself) doesn't quite understand how things have become this way. Taking them 100 percent out of the loop of their lives online or text might really piss them off and make them resent you.

just my .02

lashburn1
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
You know from my point of view (I'm 19 going on 20 in june) taking away the phones and stuff is gonna give you the opposite effect of what you think will happen. forcing them to spend time with you is really going to make them resent you in some shape or form.

Look into att smart limits if thats who you have for your cellular carrier, and turn off their service when you want a set family time or whatever.

^^^
We are looking in to that as an option....

I know we can't make them do anything, we just want them to experience a decent childhood of Variety.
No body ever looks back on there Childhood and thinks about all the time the spent inside not interacting with others or the World around them.

I'm pretty sure there not going to want to hang out with us all the time .... I just want them to go do "Something "

east tx skier
05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
Keep the boat. Offer to take them out. If they don't take you up on it, they'll regret it someday. It's kind of like when they're little. You hang on to the boat until they are old enough to appreciate it. Just enjoy it until they are ready to join you. If you are enjoying yourself, some day, they'll enjoy themselves with you.

texasjet
05-29-2014, 11:58 PM
I wish I could say that video is an exaggeration, but it isn't. There is a lot of things that contribute to the whole social media aspect of the younger generations lives. I know I might be young, but my generation did not have the technology that todays young ones have, nor was the internet extremely accessible like it is today. Social media does take away face to face interactions, but at the same time that has turned into societal norms. So it might be out of reach for you as parents to try and drill them out of their phones and iPads or whatever, because it is something society teaches them and not much to do with their home lives. But, like i said you should take up phones or put on the smart limits for times you want them to have all their attention on you, without taking them completely out of their social lives that has been predominantly shifted to online interactions. Be careful is the moral of my rant, as many of us (including myself) doesn't quite understand how things have become this way. Taking them 100 percent out of the loop of their lives online or text might really piss them off and make them resent you.

just my .02

Aric has great points. Even though he is younger, your kids are even younger yet and technology is advancing so fast. And likely the old notion of "everything in moderation" fits your reduction of your kids phone/internet time.

uplander
05-30-2014, 12:25 AM
What is funny my kids have no idea what kind of boat we have. I would ski behind anything I could as a kid. We had an old Reinell I/O that took forever to get on plane and you would drink the lake before you would get up on one. We have only gone out twice this year, still seems like a struggle. I am going to hang on but paying for storage and not using it just kills me. Thanks for all the replies also.

lashburn1
05-30-2014, 12:45 AM
What is funny my kids have no idea what kind of boat we have. I would ski behind anything I could as a kid. We had an old Reinell I/O that took forever to get on plane and you would drink the lake before you would get up on one. We have only gone out twice this year, still seems like a struggle. I am going to hang on but paying for storage and not using it just kills me. Thanks for all the replies also.

^^^^
Good post I'm sure this applies to many on the Forum.... And others

Blmeanie
05-30-2014, 07:29 AM

I am done with it.

Electronic devices.

Bingo! I could have written the post above, except the taking away part. We collectively argue every day about mindless time on the "devices". Their interactive skills are virtually non existent.

Be careful, as was written after your post, resentment is easy to build with your approach. I am going the route of letting them each invite a couple friends out for a day. Let the friends drive repeat visits (hopefully).

FoggyNogginz
05-30-2014, 08:13 AM
We have rules about devices, and they have worked very well to "curb their appetite" for electronic interaction.

-No phones at the dinner table

-Phones go on a charger in the kitchen during homework and when they are going to bed.

-Phones on the boat go in the glove compartment, and in a dry bag. (Surf boats nose dive a lot)

-I must have the password to the phone at all times. Phones are a privilege, not a right.

-No snapchat, pinger, or other applications intended specifically to hide. If you need to hide it, don't do it.

- When they were younger, we would put time limits on the phone, just.as we would with games.

Both of my kids are now 18+, and although it took my daughter some time to get the picture, they were both very good about walking away from the phone by the time they were 16. I think the trick is to avoid the addiction in the first place by limiting the dosage, so to speak.

As for the boat, some kids just don't want to spend that kind of time with parents, or without other people of their own age around. I know that I didn't at that age! I always take one of my daughter's friends, literally every single time. This really makes the day just as much about her having a good time as it is about me.

Personally, I am now entering the first time in my life where I will be running out of lake companions too very soon. My wife passed away 18 months ago, and my daughter will be gradating high school next fall. I'll be sure to keep the boat through at least one more summer. I may be looking for a woman who can drive a boat someday in the future though (wife was an excellent driver), but I don't really even want to go there either to be honest. Has anyone ever successfully taught their dog to drive?? LOL

JohnE
05-30-2014, 08:14 AM
. I do encourage them to bring friends but seems like schedules with the kids are crazy. When I was a kid we went boating, you really never had a choice, I spent hours in a 16' fishing boat bored out of my mind but it hooked me to the water.

I think you answered your own question right here. You of all people should understand their lack of enthusiasm because you lived it. So keep the faith that they will become passionate. But I wouldn't force it.

Everyone has made a lot of good points here.

coz
05-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Well boys, really hate to say it, but I think I am in the same "boat" as the OP:(. My older children (24-27-28) just are not into it as much anymore.

I was going to mention something similar might happen when the kids get older (but you beat me). I'm in the same boat as you Matt :rolleyes: 3 of my 4 kids are out of the house with their on families and things to do, and my youngest who's 19 is at ASU and working so I can't pin her down either. :mad: I have a boat that's seen more garage time than water time lately :mad: I do spend more time on the Harley now though :woohoo:

ol1970
05-30-2014, 08:25 AM
I would just get a surrogate boating family...honestly it will be easy, I guarantee there are plenty of single moms out there that would love to go spend a fun day in the sun on the water...and most kids absolutely love it too. Pretty simple, post an add on craigslist, problem solved. I should really consider writing an advice column, this stuff comes so easy for me.