PDA

View Full Version : On vacation. Check Engine issue

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Alright so had the dealer winterize and then summarize boat about 3 weeks ago. Did not have a chance to run on my home lake prior to heading to northern michigan. Launched the boat this afternoon, started fine and putted around fine. Waited until the engine warmed up and got on it. About 30 seconds after getting on plane, I get a check engine light. Shut off boat. Check a few things. Oil etc. nothing seems out of the norm. Boat starts right back up and I putt to the cottage no problem. Any thoughts on what this could be?!?!?

lentiman
05-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Low voltage? You could try checking your battery wires at the source and by the engine block.

mzimme
05-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Does that boat have a shut off valve to the water cooling intake? Maybe that's still closed and not getting water through to cool? Any overheating issues at all?

uplander
05-22-2014, 06:20 PM
low voltage or oil pressure

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 06:28 PM
2004 X star. Have had a few low voltage warnings when I was working on tower speakers without engine running and power on. So that could be it. I will look to see if I have a valve. Honestly, somewhat mechanically ignorant with boats. Where would I look for such valve?

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 06:29 PM
Temp and oil pressure according to gauges have been normal. Even when on plane

uplander
05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Can you put a charger on your batteries tonight on the dock.

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 06:45 PM
I don't have a trickle charger up here unfortunately. From what I can see, I believe valve for water is on.

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Check battery connections are tight?

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 07:00 PM
I'll check all battery connections in the morning. The batteries are 10 years old. It's time to replace anyway. If I run to town, what batteries should I go with. Even if it's not the issue it's worth replacing quick anyways.

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
Look at the stock battery in the boat for the cold cranking amps. This should be printed on the battery. Also I would take the old one with you. The store will charge you a core charge if you do not have the old one to exchange.

Latin Flyer
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
I has this issue twice. #1 when I went low in fuel. Once I put fuel it went away. #2. Happened the same way, but this time it continue after filling up the tank. Took it to the dealer and they where not sure but they think it had to do with a voltage kick. They reset it with the compute.r.

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Look at the stock battery in the boat for the cold cranking amps. This should be printed on the battery. Also I would take the old one with you. The store will charge you a core charge if you do not have the old one to exchange.

Good call thanks

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 07:14 PM
I has this issue twice. #1 when I went low in fuel. Once I put fuel it went away. #2. Happened the same way, but this time it continue after filling up the tank. Took it to the dealer and they where not sure but they think it had to do with a voltage kick. They reset it with the compute.r.

Well I'm hoping that's not the issue! Because I just filled up prior to putting in!

jafo9
05-22-2014, 07:33 PM
10 years from a set of batteries is pretty good.

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 07:52 PM
Question for you, do you know when the last time the fuel filter was changed? Also be on the lookout for issues with the fuel pump. 10 years is a long time if you are still running the same fuel pump. It's not a matter of if it will go out but when it will go out. Your fuel filter should be changed each year with your impeller. Reason is the fuel sits in the tank when in storage and gels the filter. This causes the fuel pump to work 2x's as hard to get the fuel to the motor. The filter is cheep and easy to change.

73blue
05-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Thats what I was thinking. And after a brutal winter? This is the likely culprit. Of course any auto parts store should be able to test them before you buy new

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
Question for you, do you know when the last time the fuel filter was changed? Also be on the lookout for issues with the fuel pump. 10 years is a long time if you are still running the same fuel pump. It's not a matter of if it will go out but when it will go out. Your fuel filter should be changed each year with your impeller. Reason is the fuel sits in the tank when in storage and gels the filter. This causes the fuel pump to work 2x's as hard to get the fuel to the motor. The filter is cheep and easy to change.

Replaced fuel pump last year! Fuel filter I am assuming was replaced when that was.

KnoxX2
05-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Replaced fuel pump last year! Fuel filter I am assuming was replaced when that was.

That is awesome, just make sure you change the filter each year and the pump will last. :) I have a feeling it was your battery giving you trouble today with low voltage.

mlawler34
05-22-2014, 10:05 PM
That is awesome, just make sure you change the filter each year and the pump will last. :) I have a feeling it was your battery giving you trouble today with low voltage.

Thanks. Going into town tomorrow. Will get two new batteries

atihanyi
05-22-2014, 11:00 PM
gel cells

uplander
05-23-2014, 12:15 AM
I would go with Interstate batteries

While you are purchasing you could get an onboard charger for the batteries. Plug in at end of day and charge both batteries.

Easy install takes 10 minutes

http://www.amazon.com/ProMariner-amp-ProSport-Battery-Charger/dp/B001BSRLPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400818998&sr=8-1&keywords=promariner+charger

Latin Flyer
05-23-2014, 08:33 AM
I'll check all battery connections in the morning. The batteries are 10 years old. It's time to replace anyway. If I run to town, what batteries should I go with. Even if it's not the issue it's worth replacing quick anyways.

The batteries are 10 years old????????? I change mine every 3 years.

rtw_travel
05-23-2014, 10:26 AM
Can someone confirm: are boat check engine lights similar to those in cars? If so, the check engine light is related to an emission control item, and should not come on with battery problems, cooling water flow problems, or fuel filter problems. If its a serious emissions problem, then the engine management will go into limp mode to get you home. If it doesn't put you in limp mode, then you're usually OK to run until you can check what the error is.

I'm pretty sure my 2012 X14V had a method of reading the check engine errors using the VDIG - not sure what year that would have started in the MC line.

mlawler34
05-23-2014, 11:07 AM
I talked to the dealer this morning. They think I have a bad knock sensor. Fortunately someone is coming up here today and is picking up the part for me. They def think this is more likely Han anything battery related.

lentiman
05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
I would change the batteries regardless. You're just begging for trouble with 10 year old batteries. If it is a knock sensor (how can they even diagnose that over the phone) I would put money on your batteries failing this summer.

Rossterman
05-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Some models have a separate hi temp alarm sensor. Our 205v did this after one winter and turned out to be the temp switch was corroded inside causing it to trigger the alarm when slightly warmed. Light came on after it slightly warmed up and all gauges were in normal range. Easy to check by pulling off the single wire to see if it stops (grounds to cause the alarm/cel). I posted info on mine with pics if you want more details.

KnoxX2
05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
I wonder if they forgot to clip the wire on to the knock sensor when the summerized the boat?

mlawler34
05-23-2014, 01:20 PM
First thing I check when we were on phone. It was connected. They are assuming it's bad. My part should be here in an hour!

east tx skier
05-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Yeah, buy that brand again. :)

Get about as many CCA as you can from a battery in the same group # and it'll do fine.

I have had good luck with Delco batteries on my last two boats. I am three or four years into my current one. Battery cutoff switch has been a good add on for keeping anything that might draw it down during layup.

mlawler34
05-23-2014, 05:14 PM
So after everything including getting a new knock sensor from the dealer. The wire was never plugged into the original sensor. Probably didn't even need a new one. Oh well. Glad boat is running to perfection for the rest of the weekend.

KnoxX2
05-24-2014, 01:23 AM
Glad you are back on the water. Enjoy the weekend

uplander
05-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Glad to hear to have it running, have fun

mlawler34
05-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks again for everyone's help on a stressful weekend. I appreciate it.