PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt hydraulic Lift

jkcTN
05-22-2014, 10:29 AM
I bought a hydraulic lift that is in about 7 feet of water. I need to bring it closer to shore so that my friends and I can get in the water and pick it up to carry it to shore. Can I hook it to my car and drag it the short distance forward to shallower water?111481

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

haroldbrogers
05-22-2014, 10:36 AM
raise the bunks all the way up, then put a kayak or tube under the bunks, it should float up, and make it easy to pull (one person) into shore.

jkcTN
05-22-2014, 10:42 AM
raise the bunks all the way up, then put a kayak or tube under the bunks, it should float up, and make it easy to pull (one person) into shore.

That's a problem because in the pic the bunks are raised all the way up.... the guy has it a little too deep.

jkcTN
05-22-2014, 10:45 AM
That's a problem because in the pic the bunks are raised all the way up.... the guy has it a little too deep.

I guess I could deflate the tube and put it under the bunks then blow the tube up.... So I take it you don't advise dragging it across the lake bottom 12 to 15 feet?

Wakerider16
05-22-2014, 10:46 AM
I guess I could deflate the tube and put it under the bunks then blow the tube up.... So I take it you don't advise dragging it across the lake bottom 12 to 15 feet?

I wouldn't because all you need is to get a hose hooked on something and pull a connection apart. At that point you got a big mess on your hands.

atlps190
05-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Get a couple 55 gal drums / dock floats and ratchet strap each one to one of the bunks.

Run the lift down....voila!

haroldbrogers
05-22-2014, 01:34 PM
atlps190 reply is the reason this forum is so valuable to fellow owners! Great suggestion!

jkcTN
05-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Get a couple 55 gal drums / dock floats and ratchet strap each one to one of the bunks.

Run the lift down....voila!

Have you done it this way or know anyone that has? Could it mess up the lift by applying that kind don't of pressure on the lift the opposite than what it is intended for?

atlps190
05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
I have a Hewitt Hydraulic Cantilever....a slightly different set up on how my "frame" moves up and down that's different than your Hewitt.

Also, my hydraulic cylinders are handing off the front of the lift (see http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/lifts07/hyd_cantilever.html), so my lift is front heavy.

The drums / floats works like a charm. Done it a handful of times without issue.

Quick plug....Hewitt makes great stuff....see http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/about07/testimonials.html and scroll down the page and you'll see my set up.

Jeff d
05-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Will it even lower without weight on it? Or does it just open a valve in the hydraulic system and let the boat push it down?

jkcTN
05-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Nice I just secured two drums... this is going down Saturday. I'll try to take some pics!

atlps190
05-22-2014, 04:14 PM
I guess I should also mention that as part of your "dragging to the shore" procedure, you'll probably have to adjust the legs.

When the lift starts floating, and you start to pull it into shallower water, the leg length that it had for the deeper water will start to drag.

atlps190
05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Will it even lower without weight on it? Or does it just open a valve in the hydraulic system and let the boat push it down?

The Hewitt hydraulics go up and down no matter if a boat is on it or not....the hydraulic pump "powers" the cylinders both ways.

Jeff d
05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Do you have an air compressor? If the hydraulic mechanism won't pull the bunks down with force you could drop the drums in and "sink" them (They'll still float close to the surface), slide them under the bunks horizontally, secure them, rotate the barrels so that the holes are at the lowest point, then start pumping air into them. The air will rise away from the hole and push the water out and they will float up.

jkcTN
05-22-2014, 04:20 PM
I think I'll just be able to ratchet strap the drums to the bunk and lower the lift. Since the bunks are at water level fully extended I should have a lot of clearance when lowering.

H2ORidr
05-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Big tractor tire tubes can be gotten fairly cheap and they can be slid under the cross members and then blown up. I've seen the dock installers/takeroutters use them on the docs near my house. They slide the tube under the cross braces of the dock, blow them up and the docks pop right out of the mud.

TRBenj
05-22-2014, 05:36 PM
All of the hydraulic lifts of this style that I own (Nyman/Basta, Shoremaster, Sunstream) utilize power up/power down/hold style hydraulic systems. They do not require any weight on the bunks to lower.

If you knew what the condition of the lake bottom was in front of the lift, pulling the lift with a vehicle is possible. If its relatively smooth and firm, piece of cake. If its sunk down in muck, or if the bottom is rough where the feet could snag on a rock, etc then I would not advise it. I pull my lifts out of the water and up over my sea wall using a pair of steel beams and a large strap hooked to my truck. You do want to make sure the hoses are routed properly- over the top of the frame and not under it- and nice and tight so they dont snag or get pinched. Other than that, its a pretty simple proposition.