PDA

View Full Version : what to look for in 96 + prostar 205

maroon88iroc
05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I currently own a 1989 Malibu Euro F3 and it is a great boat that we have enjoyed for several years. I am looking for something a little bigger with an walk-through open bow. we mainly only wakeboard so that is what the boat will be used for 98% of the time. I am looking at 96 + Mastercraft PS 205's & 96 + Malibu Sunsetter LX. I have never owned or looked at a mastercraft before so I was going to get some advice on what to look for as I am browsing adds or when I go look at a PS 205. Some malibu's I have been looking at have wedge and perfect pass which are 2 options I am interested in, doe the PS 205's of this vintage offer these items? Also I am a chevy guy so a 351 would be a deal breaker but most I have been looking at are 5.7 Liter powered.

Thanks

EricB
05-21-2014, 01:59 PM
Hey Maroon!
Welcome to the board.
96+ 205's all have chevy's of some sort. They all will be FI. Engine HP's will vary, majority being over 300 hp. On MC's, nothing like a Wedge was ever available. Fat Sacks or onboard bladders starting with the X series.

curver900
05-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Good luck with your search it will be a tough one.

All I can say is be ready and willing to travel for a 205DD or 205V, both come up seldom and are usually in the price sweet spot of around 21k to 28k for 2000's and up... older ones are cheaper but go fast too, especially if well maintained.... Search all of craigslist, and watch on the for sale here... but don't jump just to jump...

jomiddour
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
You should be able to find a good one from either vintage in the 15-18k range. Two of my close ski buddies have these boats. One a 97 ps205 w the LT1 and the other a 97 sunsetter lx with i want to say the 320 hp powerplant. The malibu is wider and has more freeboard but feels slightly quicker to me both out of the hole and on top end. The mastercraft drives better. MC has the better slalom wake (smaller and softer). Wakeboarding I prefer the proportions of the MC wake however it is smaller. The Malibu with the wedge offers a taller wake but it is very steep. For dedicated watersports I would pick the MC and as better cruising/ family boat the Malibu. Drive both and see what you think!

Hope this helps.

Wakerider16
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
I have a 205V that I may be convinced to sell. Its a 2001 with an LTR Engine (330HP). At the shop getting some work done at the moment but should have it back by june 6th. Not sure if I am to far of a drive for you.

maroon88iroc
05-21-2014, 02:32 PM
curver900 - Thanks for the replies, I am looking for something 96-99 year range for around/under 15K I think paying in the 20's for a boat that is very close to 20 years old is just way too much. It does look like the Malibu sunsetters are going consistantly for 12-16K for 96-99 but there are not as many PS 205's on the market so it is hard to get a good feel for a price. I am scouring craigslist but thinking I may have better luck after the summer season. Will continue to keep an eye out.

Jomiddour - great reply that is alot of help! I am leaning towards looking at more sunsetter's bc I already love my current malibu but I do really like the looks of the mastercraft and have heard great reviews on the PS 205 so Im hoping to find some nice ones to come look at.

mitchelmilitiapres
05-21-2014, 02:41 PM
The 205 is a great boat to look for. Mastercraft hasn't ever used hardware to creat wakes. They relied on hull design and weight to accomplish the purpose of the wedge. Malibu's are relatively flat bottomed (from midship belly to the stern). The wedge is utilized to drag the tail of the boat down and compensate for the v of the hull not extending further towards the back. On some of the older malibus (around the era your searching, and have know several folks that have owned them) the transom that supports both the platform and wedge was made a little thinner and can be subject to stress cracks or loosening of your hardward. (Personally witnessed someone's seemingly solid platform convert into a spring board over one summer due to the flex it allowed.) He ended up having to have the whole transom's glasswork redone. No product bashing, just buyer beware.

Perfect is pretty standard or easily installed on EFI models.

nrojay
05-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
Here's an early X-star at what could be a good price.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/4473973212.html

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ezehy5uz.jpg

maroon88iroc
05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
what year did they stop doing wood in the prostar 205?

etduc
05-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Prostar 205 never had wood stringers or decks. All composite construction.

Rossterman
05-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Prostarski190 View Post
Here's an early X-star at what could be a good price.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/4473973212.html

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/22/ezehy5uz.jpg

Wow! That is one h__l of a deal! Either a scam, something not disclosed, or will be gone in a flash. OP should buy this, keep it for a few years and probably sell it for more than you paid!

phil_edgecumbe
05-22-2014, 12:53 AM
I have a 1997 ProStar 205 so can give you some feedback. Whilst it can carry 10 people and is very versatile for all forms of watersports, wakes are not it's strong point. The hull is designed for slalom skiing and to make as little wake as possible. Even with 7 adults in my boat at 18mph the wakes are quite low and soft. If you run a shorter line though you can get enough air to jump wake to wake. If you start adding fat sacks you may find an issue with a lack of freeboard.

If wakeboarding is your desired hobby (and your budget allows) then I would suggest a later model X series Mastercraft with more freeboard that is designed for that purpose.

maroon88iroc
05-22-2014, 07:33 AM
I have a 1997 ProStar 205 so can give you some feedback. Whilst it can carry 10 people and is very versatile for all forms of watersports, wakes are not it's strong point. The hull is designed for slalom skiing and to make as little wake as possible. Even with 7 adults in my boat at 18mph the wakes are quite low and soft. If you run a shorter line though you can get enough air to jump wake to wake. If you start adding fat sacks you may find an issue with a lack of freeboard.

If wakeboarding is your desired hobby (and your budget allows) then I would suggest a later model X series Mastercraft with more freeboard that is designed for that purpose.

what year prostar do you have? The 96 + prostar's are supposed to be the same hull as the X-star.

The yellow boat looks like an awesome deal however I do not want a yellow boat, I just never have liked yellow on a boat. I also think I want to stay with a DD for reliability and ease of working on them.

phil_edgecumbe
05-22-2014, 08:33 AM
what year prostar do you have? The 96 + prostar's are supposed to be the same hull as the X-star.

The yellow boat looks like an awesome deal however I do not want a yellow boat, I just never have liked yellow on a boat. I also think I want to stay with a DD for reliability and ease of working on them.

Mines a 1997...