PDA

View Full Version : getting boat level on lift

haroldbrogers
05-21-2014, 01:09 PM
I have an x25 and a sunstream sun lift, are others able to get their boats level side to side? It seems to me that the bunk width and hull design don't work well together. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. My MCOCD hates to see the boat sit any way but perfect.

OHIOPRO205
05-21-2014, 01:32 PM
Don't know much about it but can't you measure off your trailer to get it set up?

haroldbrogers
05-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Sunlifts have fixed bunks, no way to adjust the width

curver900
05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
so they are welded to the frame?

haroldbrogers
05-21-2014, 01:58 PM
the bunks are welded and set distance apart from each other. No way to separate without cutting and welding the lift.

atthelake
05-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Happy cutting and welding OR happy lift shopping?!?!?!?

Wakerider16
05-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Thats really weird that the bunks are fixed. Are the bunk widths really off or just slightly?

eurosysytem0
05-21-2014, 02:40 PM
This is a really interesting topic. I am in the UK and I have a Sunstream lift I bought from a Mastercraft dealer (in Ireland). I have an X7. I have no idea what the optimum bunk width should be but, as the Thread starter said there is actually no scope for adjusting the bunk rail width. I dont appear to be having a problem but I would be interested on what the optimum load bearing width for a X7 would be?
Any ideas?

Wakerider16
05-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Eurosystem I would just go measure your trailer. That would probably be a good place to start and then maybe some small tweaks here or there

Theclarks1111
05-21-2014, 07:31 PM
We have the same problem... Sometimes we get it just right, and other times we have to raise and lower a couple of times until we get it. Unfortunately it is a two person job as well.

skps190
05-21-2014, 07:43 PM
Same here. Depending on wind and waves it can be tough getting it level. The other problem we've had is the bunk runs right next to the speedo paddlewheel and if its not just right the bunk lifts on the paddlewheel. Lost track of how many times we've been out and have no speedo b/c the paddlewheel got pushed in. We've tried countless solutions but have yet to find one that doesn't involve taking the bunks off and rewelding them on.

mustangtexas
05-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Can you add guide poles on either side to position the boat perfect like what's on the trailer but much closer to the boat?

3event
05-21-2014, 08:59 PM
I've been using lifts for a long time and always accepted that only perfect parking technique and luck would position the boat perfectly centered when coming into the lift (currently using a Shore Station). You never find out your bunk position until you start to crank it up. Many times at the end of the day I put it back down, position the boat by hand and recrank to get it just right. Sometimes when bad weather is rolling in, I have to leave it a bit askance, never had a problem.

I've considered some kind of guide pole system but at the back end of the lift I can't see a way to do it without creating hazards. Up front, some sort of a bumper to position the bow dead in the middle coming in makes sense, but that would have to be flexible or perhaps just hanging from the canopy. Otherwise if you come in too fast you've got another problem.

LOTW
05-21-2014, 11:51 PM
You can buy a kit for the Sunstream to widen the bunks by a few inches....

Wakerider16
05-22-2014, 08:36 AM
I plan on installing some guides on my hewitt lift this summer to make sure the boat is pretty close to where I need it. I also always have the lift deep enough where the boat does not make contact until I start bringing the lift up.