PDA

View Full Version : How to diagnose engine overheating

avorob
05-18-2014, 11:02 PM
All,

I took the boat out (X2 Indmar) after winter storage today. After a few minutes of driving the boat reset to low RPM and wouldn't react to giving it gas. After a few more minutes a notice appeared on the instruments something like TEMP. The gauge was showing around 190 deg. I filled the engine with two-three gallons of water (through a disconnected hose) thinking it might help the pump to engage - had no luck with this idea. There is some dripage from under the water pump cover but nothing significant.

Where do I start diagnosing the problem?

Thanks for the heads up.

Mastercraft13
05-18-2014, 11:18 PM
When was the last time you changed the impeller?

avorob
05-18-2014, 11:27 PM
At very least not for last two summers. Start with checking the impeller?

dvsone79
05-18-2014, 11:30 PM

Yes. And start changing it once a year.

avorob
05-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Will post an update on my progress tomorrow. I heard it's in essence a Chevy engine. Does it mean I can get the impeller from a Chevy dealer or I should go to MC dealer?

wheeler
05-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Dealer - Most marine dealers should carry an impeller.

ricford
05-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Will post an update on my progress tomorrow. I heard it's in essence a Chevy engine. Does it mean I can get the impeller from a Chevy dealer or I should go to MC dealer?

The impeller goes in the raw water pump, which you won't find on an automotive engine. Marine engines have two water pumps, the raw water pump that picks up water from the lake, and the circulating pump, which is the one that is the same as the automotive pump.

02ProstarSammyD
05-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Also if you find an imploded impeller make sure you gather the remains from filters etc down line. Change it 1x a year min at the beginning of the season. They are too cheap and easy to change to let it cost you an engine or issues on the lake. I also carry an extra in the boat at all times. Learn to change it yourself and keep a copy of all tools you used. I keep those tools in a bag with the impeller.

bsloop
05-19-2014, 09:46 AM

While you are going to the shop, take the boat and ask them to show you all the other preventative maintenance that needs to be done. Might have to pay them a diagnostic or they might just enjoy writing up a huge estimate for you.
Not the best time of year to be bugging them for a bunch of free advice with Memorial this weekend. That is what April is for.

Grease points, packing, shaft alignment, trans lube. List goes on if we are talking several years neglect or unknown.

avorob
05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
All were correct. It was the impeller. All the blades were stripped. Take a look. Found only one loose blade out of 12. Do I follow the discharge end only to find the rest of pieces?

Johnson 812 B-1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_1L28fPC0Y9bE5LMlRaNXhXYlc3T2h1MUZTcGFvWTNtQjZv/edit?usp=sharing
link to image (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_1L28fPC0Y9bE5LMlRaNXhXYlc3T2h1MUZTcGFvWTNtQjZv/edit?usp=sharing)

mzimme
05-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Yiikes! Did you find all the veins and remove them? Check the T-stat housing if you haven't, they're all probably backed up in there.

Table Rocker
05-19-2014, 10:31 AM
This most important thing you can do is get to know your boat. Start with the Owner's Manual (http://www.mastercraft.com/assets/manual/17.pdf), the Indmar manual (http://www.indmar.com/Index.aspx), and then spend some time here learning how it works. It is very rewarding to take care of your own boat, but you have to know what you are doing and why. If you don't get to know your boat, you will get to know the repairman and it will not be inexpensive lessons that you will learn.

Look at your engine and figure out the flow of water through the hoses. The impeller parts will be downstream from your raw water pump. You may not find them all.

02ProstarSammyD
05-19-2014, 10:48 AM
I have never in my life seen an impeller that bad. Like others have said prob in the tstat housing. Don't run it until you get all that cleaned out obviously.

ttu
05-19-2014, 10:51 AM
wow, that is not good! hopefully most of the veins flushed thru.

avorob
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Well, I cleaned removed the hose from pump discharge to thermostat and fished some broken pieces (see the picture), checked inside of the pump, and replaced impeller (when in relatively easy). Put the boat on the water and it is overheating again. The impeller blades felt ok on touch. I noticed the gasket was deformed and got squeezed out in one place. What do I do next?
It seemed to be pressure inside the hoses when the motor runs. It was definitely not all eleven blades in the pile of debris. I hoed the rest flushed out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_1L28fPC0Y9T19wa1F6QS1EZzF3Nk1JdVpDTWhQVTlPREZB/edit?usp=sharing

mzimme
05-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Well, I cleaned removed the hose from pump discharge to thermostat and fished some broken pieces (see the picture), checked inside of the pump, and replaced impeller (when in relatively easy). Put the boat on the water and it is overheating again. What do I do next?
It seemed to be pressure inside the hoses when the motor runs. It was definitely not all eleven blades in the pile of debris. I hoed the rest flushed out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_1L28fPC0Y9T19wa1F6QS1EZzF3Nk1JdVpDTWhQVTlPREZB/edit?usp=sharing

The blades are still somewhere in your cooling system. Hopefully they didn't make it to the heads and get stuck there.

avorob
05-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Know your boat indeed....
I completely forgot that there is a shot-off intake valve that I closed while winterizing. Lost only one blade from my new impeller trying to figure that out.
The boat is running good now. It wouldn't go higher then 140 deg during the sea trials though. Probably the water is too cold. Is it OK to run cooler?
Thanks for all your help and advise.

Table Rocker
05-19-2014, 08:50 PM
I completely forgot that there is a shot-off intake valve that I closed while winterizing. Lost only one blade from my new impeller trying to figure that out.
The boat is running good now. It wouldn't go higher then 140 deg during the sea trials though. Probably the water is too cold. Is it OK to run cooler?
Thanks for all your help and advise.You might check to make sure you have a working thermostat. Glad you got the water supply issue fixed.

bsloop
05-19-2014, 10:29 PM
The blades are still somewhere in your cooling system. Hopefully they didn't make it to the heads and get stuck there.

Agreed. They all likely did not pass thru. A chunk stuck in one part of passage, another somewhere else. Problem is they can gang up somewhere and create a hot spot that a single reading would not detect which can lead to an individual cylinder or gasket failure.
Could also try to back flush like the river/beach guys do to flush sand.

Thanks for all your help and advise.

Midwest is very vague and subjective but no, I don't think there is any water cold enough in my definition of the "Midwest" to not let an engine get up to operating temp with properly working thermostat.
Which thermostat do you run 143 or 160? I would think even a 143 would still see a temp rise then fall. I would recheck the thermostat for a chunk possibly holding it open?

avorob
05-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Hmm,
It/s another angle to look at. I ran on idle for 20 minutes and it was around 160 deg, After I ran on 4000+ rpm i noticed the temp dropped to 120 or so. I attributed it to more raw water circulation. It wouldn't go back when I ran on lower RPM.
BTW, how exactly the pieces can get to heads? It was my assumption that it is a closed in system.

sethro
05-19-2014, 11:05 PM
You mentioned you broke a vane on the new impeller. If you didn't, you need to replace with yet another new impeller.

Table Rocker
05-19-2014, 11:20 PM
It was my assumption that it is a closed in system.
Do you have closed cooling? Not many of us do, but you might.

avorob
05-20-2014, 04:10 PM
To summarize my exorcise:
Two new impellers
One new thermostat
two new gaskets

Advice; don't forget to open intake shot off valve after winterization. BTW do you fill the cooling system with antifreeze for the winter or you drain it out / blow out?

The boat runs @ 160 deg on idle and high RPM.

Thanks again for the insight.

Table Rocker
05-20-2014, 04:28 PM
BTW do you fill the cooling system with antifreeze for the winter or you drain it out / blow out?

With open cooling, you can do either. Plenty of people favor each method.