PDA

View Full Version : Busted water pump: faulty part or poor job winterizing?

Nashville Boatin'
05-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Took my boat out for the first time today and discovered the water pump was busted...literally. This wasn't an issue with a hose coming off, but the backing plate was missing a screw and was pryed open. I'm leaning towards it still having some water in there over the winter but wanted opinions before I contact the shop that did the winterization.

Heres to hoping nothing else is wrong with it...

Jeff d
05-18-2014, 08:30 PM
Probably bad winterization.

ttu
05-18-2014, 08:31 PM
always have to be so careful not to over tighten those brass bolts because they will snap. snug and firm but no more. my guess is they cranked them down and they snapped. ski dim sells the replacement bolts. pretty easy to back the broken one back out.

ricford
05-18-2014, 08:37 PM
always have to be so careful not to over tighten those brass bolts because they will snap. snug and firm but no more. my guess is they cranked them down and they snapped. ski dim sells the replacement bolts. pretty easy to back the broken one back out.

Hopefully that's the problem and not bad winterization. Take it to the shop that winterized it and show them.

Jeff d
05-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Either way it's probably the same fix unless they just didn't winterize the boat at all. The probably just forgot to let the water out of there. Did they pump in antifreeze or just drain everything?

Nashville Boatin'
05-18-2014, 08:48 PM
So is the backing plate the equivalent of freeze plugs? As in, its a failsafe to keep from ruining the entire pump? It was still pumping, sounds like there's a chance I can replace the plate without replacing the whole pump, or is that too optimistic?

ttu
05-18-2014, 08:52 PM
So is the backing plate the equivalent of freeze plugs? As in, its a failsafe to keep from ruining the entire pump? It was still pumping, sounds like there's a chance I can replace the plate without replacing the whole pump, or is that too optimistic?

have you removed the plate yet? I will bet that once you do you will find a snapped bolt. just need to get a new gasket if you have recently replaced the impeller. if you haven't just order a new impeller( comes with the gasket) and a couple brass bolts! good to go.

Nashville Boatin'
05-18-2014, 08:56 PM
I haven't removed the plate yet, was on the water and didn't have the tools. They did just replace the impeller, sounds like your earlier advice in the screws being over torqued may be correct. Can I get the bolts and the gasket from ski dim?

ttu
05-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I haven't removed the plate yet, was on the water and didn't have the tools. They did just replace the impeller, sounds like your earlier advice in the screws being over torqued may be correct. Can I get the bolts and the gasket from ski dim?

yep! I keep a couple of those brass bolts on my boat at all times. I am sure they sell the gasket by itself. like I said earlier the bolt is pretty easy to back out. i know from experience i have snapped a few!)) leaks like the pic you posted.

gsxrjtt
05-18-2014, 09:15 PM
Id say poor winterization

Nashville Boatin'
05-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, sounds like I may not be as bad off as originally expected. Just another reason I love this board and the MC community.

soacj
05-18-2014, 09:23 PM
That cover wouldn't be peeled back like that with just one broken bolt--I'm also guessing freeze damage. Regardless, easy enough to find out.

Jeff d
05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
That cover wouldn't be peeled back like that with just one broken bolt--I'm also guessing freeze damage. Regardless, easy enough to find out.

This is what I was thinking. If it was just a broken bolt the gasket would blow out but the plate wouldn't bend (even though it's a relatively soft metal) due to the pressure being too low. Ice certainly could bend it like that though.

ttu
05-18-2014, 09:54 PM
This is what I was thinking. If it was just a broken bolt the gasket would blow out but the plate wouldn't bend (even though it's a relatively soft metal) due to the pressure being too low. Ice certainly could bend it like that though.

you are probably right! however when i replaced a impeller on my (old 02 outback with indmar motor and same pump it did the same thing). checked with skidim and they also sell the plate. hopefully you can get the parts in and enjoy a memorial holiday weekend!)

Nashville Boatin'
05-18-2014, 10:23 PM
I had the same reservations, but then I remembered the impeller was replaced this spring before I picked it up from storage. No way even the most incompetent mechanic just throws a new impeller into a damaged housing.

CruisinGA
05-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Is the cover peeled back, or is it loose?

Did you discover this right away or after driving for awhile? Reason I ask is I have a hard time seeing enough water remaining in the entire impeller housing all winter to freeze and push open the cover. I have never seen an impeller housing retain enough water to do so, they usually drain pretty well once the boat is out of the water.

If the cover is just loose and not "peeled back" and bent, I think it is more likely that the screws were not tightened enough and they vibrated loose during the first few minutes of running. With those brass screws it is a fine line between "not tight enough" and "stripped threads".

This has happened to me in the past when I under-tightened the screws, so I always keep a spare impeller, gaskets, and at least 4 of the brass screws on the boat at all times. It can be tough to find the screws in the bilge!