PDA

View Full Version : Helpful advice for kids first time wakeboading

andersonmc
05-17-2014, 10:23 AM
My four year old has been chomping at the bit to get out wakeboarding. So just bought him a 111 fury setup. So what tips helps for making it enjoyable? My main concern is water temperature. Do they make wetsuits for little kids?

ttu
05-17-2014, 10:53 AM
yes, barts carries them. I bought both of my kids one when they were younger. sold them both to someone on teamtalk when they outgrew them.

this is just like the one I got my kids. they also have springsuits.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog/Wetsuits/Junior_Wetsuits/Body_Guard_Junior_Full_Wetsuit/index.asp

DonB
05-17-2014, 02:33 PM
A boom works great for teaching kids or anyone to get up. Start with hands on the boom, then add a short rope, about one foot past yoke, then go to long rope behind the boat. That's how my & kids both learned as well as friends.

Jeff d
05-17-2014, 03:13 PM
Put on a life jacket like a diaper and then get in the water with him. That way you can hold him in position and comfort him on takeoff. It holds you up a little higher in the water so it's easier to assist them. The most stressful part for my kids is the thought of being left in the water while the boat pulls away.

Also, usually when they're small you can just pull them up by hand. Either from the swim platform or a dock or the shore just get them out there at the end of the rope and you pull them in as fast as you can. That way they can get the feel for poping out of the water without the intimidation of the boat.

Here's my 7 year old daughter. Got up the first time:
http://youtu.be/KfA8SOkZpxc

2RLAKE
05-17-2014, 03:17 PM
One trick I have used successfully is getting them about 50-70 away from the dock and just pulling them to the dock with the wakeboard rope ... Make it fun ... But it gives them a slight feeling for it without the boat

If you have access to a boom that works so well

Also, make sure someone is in the water with them when they start ... Helping to keep the board straight and building confidence

Can't wait to see pictures!

swatguy
05-17-2014, 07:49 PM
I sat on the sundeck, feet on platform w my 7and 5 yr old girls. I held the rope in my hands (ski gloves on) and let them out just past the rooster tail were wake flattens. This way I could talk to them, and they didn't feel to far away from the boat. If I thought they were gonna wipe out I just let go of rope to ease the fall.

They key I've found for kids as well as adults is really use the throttle gradually and have them attempt to stand that way. You only need like 10 mph tops to get them standing. As they got the hang of it I slowly let the rope out further n further til they were comfortable all the way out. By the following day both didn't need me to hold the rope any more.

Just take things slow

H2ORidr
05-17-2014, 09:41 PM
I've taught about 10 kids, little ones too, using my Jet Ski. It is less intimidating than a full boat and my SeaDoo Wake 155 can turn on a dime and be back to them in seconds when they fall. Several kids have commented if feels like the Jet Ski is right there in the water with them.

As others have said have a person in the water with them. Also, I am not a believer in the perpendicular launch and then turn of the board. It just pulls too darn hard. I tell them to let the boat pull them for a few feet slowly, point their dominant foot so the board is going the direction they want to go and then tell the driver to go. They pop right up like on a surfboard that way.

blackhawk
05-17-2014, 10:38 PM
A buddy of mine taught his 8 year old to water ski by letting him set on a tube while he held the tube. He said that it worked great. Not sure if it would work as good with a wakeboard. I guess if they set on the side of the tube with the board parallel to the boat it should work OK.

jafo9
05-18-2014, 03:11 AM
i'll second the waverunner method. works for any type of boarding. great for kids as they don't feel so intimidated and as mentioned above, you can zip right back to them for a quick retry. when our slough is empty, we'll do it right infront of the dock so other adults can be right there for support. once i get them up a few times, they are ready for the boat no problem. i've probably taught 20 or so kids/adults to ski/board this way. usually if its a big guy, they'll have to start behind the boat. i've done most of the above as well as far as pulling them along or to the dock by hand and practicing rolling them up. a great tip i heard somewhere was to tell folks to pull their toes up. as long as they are staying squated, this forces their heels down on the start and will keep them leaned back enough not to catch a front edge.

madcityskier
05-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Dry land first. Get them used to standing on the board with pressure on the rope. We usually do this on the platform.
Put them in the water with the handle. Put the board against the platform and gently pull the rope to show them pressure on the board, and how they should bend knees and start to apply pressure to ankles progressively so that they wont ball up and go out the front.
Then a very short rope off the tower or extended pylon so that the pull is predominately upward. SLOW takeoff and one person on the back where they can talk to them as they are getting up, this is where Nordicron's FAE helps a ton. The way reduced noise makes it easy to communicate, and much less intimidating for young ones.
Once they're comfortable being on the board, let the rope out some and speed up enough to clean up the wake so it's easier to cross, but as slow as reasonably possible.

tex
05-18-2014, 11:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdlcmbuLOA