PDA

View Full Version : Steel Ballast Bags for Canadians

Colbray
05-16-2014, 12:58 PM
As a newbie to MC, a wakesurf junkie and now the onset of MCOCD I have been watching posts on how to set up our boat for surfing. There are quite a few poeple using lead as ballast to provide part of the weight.

I have tried to source a supplier of lead bags who is either in Canada or would ship to Canada. I came up empty handed and decided to improvise and thought I would share with the members of this forum who want to do the same that either live in Canada or near Edmonton where we reside.

Instead of recreating the wheel, I contacted Jared Cutler (Lead Wake in the USA) and he was very helpful. He sent me the bags they use to put lead in. I would highly recommend contacting Jared as he sent me eight of his bags (empty) that carry 50lbs of lead and he was outstanding to deal with. These are very well made and a great product!

I then contacted a local company who focus on blast equipment (Manus Abrasive Systems) who sell steel shot in 50lb bags. This 50lb bag of steel shot fits perfectly in the Lead Wake bag and was easy to fill. I then took the bags to an industrial sewing company (Coliseum Sports Repair) to sew the small opening shut.

I have attached a picture of the bags. They turned out great. Weather permitting (ugh) I will put these in our X30 and shoot some pics and vids of our wave that I will post on the appropriate forum.

If anyone wants to do the same and has any questions please feel free to ask. The costs to do what I did was about 50% more than what they cost to buy from Lead Wake without any shipping or duties.

Rob

GoneBoatN
05-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Nicely done. Being in the USA I just got mine from PoP-Products.com. Could be a new side business for you in Canada.

Did you put the steel shot inside of a sealed plastic bag/container before putting them into the carrying bags? I noticed the bags I just got were that way.

snork
05-16-2014, 01:39 PM
those bags would easily weigh 100lbs if it was lead shot

DHPRO
05-16-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm in! Hook me up pls?

Colbray
05-16-2014, 01:43 PM
Nicely done. Being in the USA I just got mine from PoP-Products.com. Could be a new side business for you in Canada.

Did you put the steel shot inside of a sealed plastic bag/container before putting them into the carrying bags? I noticed the bags I just got were that way.
The bags from Lead Wake have a waterproof liner so I just poured the steel shot in. The Lead Wake bags are very well constructed.

Colbray
05-16-2014, 01:50 PM
DHPRO, If you are in the USA, which I think you are, I would just buy from Lead Wake: Jared Cutler phone (626) 353-0340, [email protected] If you are in Canada I can help you out.

DHPRO
05-16-2014, 01:59 PM
I just went and bot 400lbs! Thnx guys

craig3972
05-16-2014, 03:35 PM
lead is 1.45x the weight of steel

jdhart73
05-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Agree'd on the service and quality from Jared at Leadwake. I bought 400lbs and they were at my door about 3 days later. Nicely constructed with a handle for easy moving around and sealed so no worry about getting wet etc.

DHPRO
06-26-2014, 11:17 AM
so I ordered 400lbs from Pop-Products back on 5/16...still no lead delivered! Not getting any response to emails, its been crickets. These guys reliable?

GoneBoatN
06-26-2014, 12:45 PM
so I ordered 400lbs from Pop-Products back on 5/16...still no lead delivered! Not getting any response to emails, its been crickets. These guys reliable?

They were reliable for me but yes, slow to respond. I finally called Troy and left a message that I would be cancelling my order if I did not get a response. I had my ballast in hand shortly thereafter.

EA2010
06-26-2014, 01:17 PM
As a fellow Albertan, I did the exact same thing. I'm taking the empty LeadWake bags out to the Okanagan (where the boat lives) this weekend and will find a similar company to buy the steel shot from. Thanks for posting!

gt23
09-02-2015, 10:46 PM
I've been checking out which bags to get as well. Bomb wake looks like they make the best manufactured bag with the best materials. Worth a few extra bucks for longevity I think.

Has anyone tried these bags though. Don't feel like ordering 400lbs of bags without some feedback.

BombWake http://www.bombwake.com/index_files/bombsacks.htm

gt23
09-02-2015, 10:49 PM
They were reliable for me but yes, slow to respond. I finally called Troy and left a message that I would be cancelling my order if I did not get a response. I had my ballast in hand shortly thereafter.

How do you set up your surf wave GoneBoatN; do you have tabs?

Gunford
09-02-2015, 11:22 PM
I ordered from bomb wake last year and am very happy with the bags. The lead is in two heavy plastic bags and then a bag with zipper and handle. I had free shipping to Montana and had a friend bring them back to Calgary.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

DHPRO
09-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Local tire shop usually has buckets of used weights...just buy the bags, or put them in ABS pipe.