PDA

View Full Version : MC bring back the outboard !!!!

Sydney Skier
04-15-2014, 11:30 PM
As some of the MC employees get on here and join in the converations I was wondering why in todays market MC doesnt bring back a sporty outboard? or even a stern Drive? After looking around and spending good office hours searching the NET for MC outboards and other companies Alike it just seems they are missing out on so much market share within the industry. After reading a thread on a fellow who just sold his four winns for an MC and raves about it, I wonder just how many others are in his situation? I got very lucky with my MC i was in the right place at the right time Imagine how many other people would SERIOUSLY consider an updated, sportier, faster version of the BF 200 over a dirty old SEAPOO jet boat or a four winns for example.

Just curious to find out and here from anyone with some info. Like Ive mentioned previously since getting my MC and people seeing it I could have sold it 10 over by now. But I know I wont find another one Like it for the same Cash!!!!

mikeg205
04-15-2014, 11:40 PM
Never I hope... Our tugs are designed for just that... towing.. for barefoot you need all out speed. Can't beat a good ski behind a good tug... Lot's of I/O's out there for everyone... Inboards are a step up... :) IMO

MC25
04-15-2014, 11:51 PM
is there really any market share for an outboard ski boat right now?

mikeg205
04-15-2014, 11:57 PM

Fish and Ski Aric ;) :D :D - 1981 bayliner still the best ski boat ever made... :)

Sodar
04-16-2014, 12:03 AM

Probably not, but I can say that outboards are making a huge comeback on a lot more than bass boats. Reliability, torque, fuel economy and interior room saved are all huge pluses and have helped gain a lot of market share.

Personally, my next boat will be an outboard, but it will compliment the MC, rather than replace it.

mikeg205
04-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Probably not, but I can say that outboard are making a huge comeback on a lot more than bass boats. Reliability, torque, fuel economy and interior room saved are all huge pluses and have helped gain a lot of market share.

Personally, my next boat will be an outboard, but it will compliment the MC, rather than replace it.

Gonna be spending more time in the boat Cam? Next you'll be getting a fishin' hat ;)

MC25
04-16-2014, 12:06 AM
My parents have an outboard motor on their tender that i can't get started for the life of me!!!! lol

Sodar
04-16-2014, 12:15 AM
No hat needed, Mike. It would probably fly off, anyway! ;)

MC25
04-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Probably not, but I can say that outboards are making a huge comeback on a lot more than bass boats. Reliability, torque, fuel economy and interior room saved are all huge pluses and have helped gain a lot of market share.

I would take the Sea Ray Sundancer 370 Venture all day!

Sodar
04-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Not my jam, but a great example of innovation using the latest OB technology for their advantages.

MC25
04-16-2014, 01:01 AM
Not that I would choose it over the normal 370, but it is a sweet boat!

Sydney Skier
04-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Some good feed back here guys keep it coming. Truthfully im an inboard BBC man myself. But after parking the race boat for 12 months and getting the OB I wont lie the amount of room inside is second to none. I reckon we all have multiple boats. I miss the early morning first fire of the BBC with dry exhausts but the simplicity of the outboards has me thinking

Rockman
04-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Never I hope... Our tugs are designed for just that... towing.. for barefoot you need all out speed. Can't beat a good ski behind a good tug... Lot's of I/O's out there for everyone... Inboards are a step up... :) IMO

Wish I had the BF200 running Mike, you have a lot to learn about the BF200 and what it can do ;)...it is a great boat..."tug" sounds like a big ole closed cabin Bayliner...:rolleyes:

mikeg205
04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Wish I had the BF200 running Mike, you have a lot to learn about the BF200 and what it can do ;)...it is a great boat..."tug" sounds like a big ole closed cabin Bayliner...:rolleyes:

I am always ready for class - never to old to learn :)

duckguy
04-16-2014, 09:54 AM
The BF200 was a great boat. Frugal on fuel, speedy for cruising, the ability to trim for shallows and open area in the middle with lots of storage. Not to mention a barefoot focused wake that we don't see today.

JohnE
04-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I agree the BF 200 is a great boat. But given that the factory is pretty much producing as much as they can/ want I don't see them bringing back a boat that surely won't be as profitable as the ones currently being produced. If they did, they would need to price it more than the market would likely bear.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
The only way I could see MC making any money on an outboard boat would be if they went after the Dyna-Ski market of show ski boats to get the volume. the problem with that is these are bare bones boats and I'm sure margins aren't up to MC desire. Certainly MC could make a better looking boat than the old Dyna-Ski / Hydrodyne boat.

FoggyNogginz
04-16-2014, 10:41 AM
I agree the BF 200 is a great boat. But given that the factory is pretty much producing as much as they can/ want I don't see them bringing back a boat that surely won't be as profitable as the ones currently being produced. If they did, they would need to price it more than the market would likely bear.

Another approach would be to sell something well built and go for volume instead of profit per boat to improve overall revenue. The $100K boat prices are killing me.

mzimme
04-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Just get a '14 prostar with the 6.2.... you'll go all kinds of fast. Re prop it if you must. :D

FoggyNogginz
04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Just get a '14 prostar with the 6.2.... you'll go all kinds of fast. Re prop it if you must. :D

Those things are wicked cool. I'm dying to ski behind one.

TxsRiverRat
04-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Fish and Ski Aric ;) :D :D - 1981 bayliner still the best ski boat ever made... :)

BLASPHEMY!

You know damn well it's 2nd best... :D

kyfooter
04-16-2014, 11:50 AM
I think the chances of MC bringing back an outboard are slim to none. As mentioned, when margins are so great on the current line of boats, why dedicate resources to a boat that would likely sell at less than 50 units/year (that may be generous)? Those of us who still like 3-event boats are lucky there still is a direct drive boat in their lineup!

On the other hand, perhaps a more realistic opportunity may be for one of the lesser known boat builders to buy some of the old outboard molds to manufacture a few. Note that Sanger still has their outboard mold, and I believe just a few years ago they built 1-2...but at a price that wasn't too far off the inboard boat price. When you only make a few, it's too hard to get to the desired consumer price range with an acceptable margin.

Considering at one time MC, Malibu, Sanger, Centurion, and maybe a few others manufactured tournament outboards, and now none of them do, I think we've seen the last mass-production outboards from the bigger manufacturers...unless you want the offshore fishing boats with (3) 300h.p. outboards.

Someone can check my memory, but I thought I saw a photo at the factory where offshore outboards were in process at the MC factory???

EricB
04-16-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm contemplating switching to an OB. Looking for the early 80's style hull (Prostar 200) not the newer late 80's style.
I want to ski behind one first, but my resons are room, trimability and ease of winterization. But before I would switch I want to see how well they hold against an aggressive slalom skier. My boat driver need to approve too.

Rockman
04-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Waterskiing in general as a sport has changed since the Prostar 200 came about. Back then, manufacturers were trying to make a boat with the least amount of wake for slalom skiing and barefooting.

As slalom skiing is still pretty popular and the number of true barefooters has lessened over the years, the turn to focus on boats that produce the biggest wake for the more popular sports such as wakeboarding and surfing has taken over. Is what it is...

The demand for boats today include more horsepower, more interior room, alot more bells and whistles...compare a new X55 to my 1995 BF200...not even close in any comparison. Boaters today also want a bigger boat to better accomodate taking a group of friends out for the day...

You have to also look at the production requirements and costs to make a boat totaly different than all of your current production...

As much as I would want to see a new barefoot outboard, made by any manufacturer, I will be happy to have an old barefoot boat with a new motor and a secondary boat for everything else.

Mike, I will work on the new motor, you just make sure all your yard work is done...:D

mikeg205
04-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Waterskiing in general as a sport has changed since the Prostar 200 came about. Back then, manufacturers were trying to make a boat with the least amount of wake for slalom skiing and barefooting.

As slalom skiing is still pretty popular and the number of true barefooters has lessened over the years, the turn to focus on boats that produce the biggest wake for the more popular sports such as wakeboarding and surfing has taken over. Is what it is...

The demand for boats today include more horsepower, more interior room, alot more bells and whistles...compare a new X55 to my 1995 BF200...not even close in any comparison. Boaters today also want a bigger boat to better accomodate taking a group of friends out for the day...

You have to also look at the production requirements and costs to make a boat totaly different than all of your current production...

As much as I would want to see a new barefoot outboard, made by any manufacturer, I will be happy to have an old barefoot boat with a new motor and a secondary boat for everything else.

Mike, I will work on the new motor, you just make sure all your yard work is done...:D

Will be done this week Rockman... :D :D

Rockman
04-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Will be done this week Rockman... :D :D

Get ready! Water is getting warm and the mosquitos will soon be out!;)

soacj
04-16-2014, 01:36 PM
New MC outboard? Not going to happen unless MC departs from focusing on towboat performance or there is a major upswing in the 'footing market (which seems unlikely--sorry bf fans...)

As noted, MC has the HydraSports line. Those boats are the current domain of the outboard motor.

Sodar
04-16-2014, 01:43 PM
MasterCraft no longer owns the Hydra-Sport line. Hydra-Sports was bought by Plantation Boat Mart and is now called Hydra-Sports Custom. MasterCraft builds and rigs the hulls, but has no ownership.

Read more here: http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2012/09/south-florida-dealership-buys-hydra-sports-boat-co/

soacj
04-16-2014, 02:00 PM
MasterCraft no longer owns the Hydra-Sport line. Hydra-Sports was bought by Plantation Boat Mart and is now called Hydra-Sports Custom. MasterCraft builds and rigs the hulls, but has no ownership.

Read more here: http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2012/09/south-florida-dealership-buys-hydra-sports-boat-co/

Guess I do remember seeing that now.

Point still stands--center console fishing type boats are the growing market for outboards in my opinion.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-16-2014, 02:08 PM

Point still stands--center console fishing type boats are the growing market for outboards in my opinion.

They are appreciating the power to weight ratio and the great fuel economy they are coming up with.

mikeg205
04-16-2014, 02:22 PM
This has been an interesting thread...

soacj
04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
They are appreciating the power to weight ratio and the great fuel economy they are coming up with.

Definitely.

And I'm going to continue to appreciate the sweet engine note, ability to surf, and heritage of my inboard:)

Rockman
04-16-2014, 06:04 PM

Ya, but they SUCK to foot behind! :rolleyes:

Sent KSO an email asking if he has any intention about switching to center console boats at his training center...:rolleyes:

Sydney Skier
04-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Guys this has been a great thread. Now Ill reveal why I asked. A person who isnt a member here that is in australia (and make no mistake the person i refer to I have nothing to do with) Is asking around at boat ramps why each outboard driver choose that specific boat. The results have been astounding. Over here we have a quite a few dedicated outboard hull builders that play also in the stern drive market. These hulls INclude Force Boats Bullet Boats, Connelly Carft, Haines Hunter, Kaos, Millenium Just to name a few. Its very interesting to see the difference in the industry from Aus to USA. Over here Your "One of the cool Kids" If your running a 21 foot + out board with a 250 - 300 hp outboard on a nice stainless wrapped trailer. (http://www.forceboats.com/) One of these Boats Will set you back Around $120K AUD and theres a 24 month wait and from what I have been told its 25% upfront at the time of purchase. These boats with a 300 XS mercury will run just on 100mph in race trim yet be social enough to tow kids on the aqau plane and a tube and do it without being cranky. It just intregues me how the markets are so Different. On the force site have a look at the F23 social Boat. If I had the cash the MC would be sold and the F23 would be in its place.

MC25
04-16-2014, 07:52 PM
120k for a outboard mid 20 ft boat???? Yikes.... very different market for sure

soacj
04-16-2014, 08:57 PM
New MC outboard? Not going to happen unless MC departs from focusing on towboat performance or there is a major upswing in the 'footing market (which seems unlikely--sorry bf fans...)

As noted, MC has the HydraSports line. Those boats are the current domain of the outboard motor.

Ya, but they SUCK to foot behind! :rolleyes:

Sent KSO an email asking if he has any intention about switching to center console boats at his training center...:rolleyes:

Thanks for keeping me in the know, but I believe I covered that (see above.)8p

Sodar
04-16-2014, 10:48 PM
We have plenty of Connellys, Cyclones(now Nordics), Bernicos, Forces, and Bullets over here. I personally run with a group of friends that do a lot of ski racing.