PDA

View Full Version : X-2 vs X-15

jakewakeboard
04-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between an X-2 and an X-15. How do the wakes compare, engine, gas milage, etc? I owned an 06 X2 and maybe looking at an X15. Is the wake the same?

MC25
04-14-2014, 03:36 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52538

jakewakeboard
04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Thank you!

swatguy
04-14-2014, 05:31 PM
The X15 was ins of he most underrated boats in MC's line. The XStar pretty much took all the glory.

The 15 is humongous inside for its size The cockpit alone is twice the dice of the X2 (well not really double, but you get the idea) Your rear storage compartments won't be much bigger than the X2's as the cut down on the sundeck area to give you that extra cockpit space. The sundeck isn't smaller than the X2 it's close to the same size . You also get ton more storage under the cabin seats than the x2. The bow on the 15 is a wash with the 2. While the superfly bow does open up the x2 the size of the tradition bow area on the 15 is still in par.

The 15 drives much better than the x2. Especially loaded up at wakeboard speeds, You notice a huge tracking difference and it hrs a straight line perfectly. The x2 walks just a bit and strong riders that really pull hard can cause more steering corrections in the x2. The gunwales/freeboard on the 15 make it very comfortable inside and are great for surfing and bigger bodies of water.

As to the wakes. Take every you love about the x2 and just picture it amped up . The shape if both the wakeboard wake and surfwakes are very similar. The wakeboard wake transition is longer on the 15. The amplitude can get bigger with more weight, and it has an ever so harder lip that gives you a nice snap right at the top. Surfwakes again just imagine a longer pocket with a bit more amplitude and push. Not tj mention due to the bigger gunwales/freeboard you can really sac it out and get it leaning.

Ski wakes are a wash because the attitude adjustment plate on both will flatten them out about the same. However driving a skier is heads above behind the wheel if the 15. Again it tracks straighter and requires way less corrections with an advanced skier in tow than the x2.

The 15 is a top level boat that just seemed to get lost in the shuffle with so much focus on pickle forks and marketing. If you want more of everything your x2 offers and don't mind not having the flashy pickle fork "baby XStar" look pull the trigger and don't look back. The MCX is plenty for both when propped right

GoneBoatN
04-14-2014, 08:21 PM
+1 for everything Swatguy said.

I'd also add the the wake for the X-15 seems to spread just a bit faster/wider (more angle) behind the boat than some others. Don't be supprised if you want to add 1 or 2 MPH or pull in the rope a bit to find your sweet spot.

MC25
04-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Swat touches on some good points. It is a huge boat for a 21 footer, fit 14 including myself no issues. The wake is wide, but has a good transition but isn't incredibly lippy. I like a wider wake, as it makes for more air time without having to deal with landing in the flats.

Surf wake wise, I couldnt ever dial the boat in the three years I had it. So I wont comment.

Bottom line is the 15 is a do it all boat, but isnt a do everything great boat. But if you're looking to dab at all water sports and not be really serious about one, perfect boat.

tcmercil
04-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Classic Aric bashing the x15... Looking back to when he got his 2010... he was old enough to drive the boat, but couldn't drive a car... So take it for what it's worth, I'm not out getting a lot of advice from teenagers these days...

501s
04-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Let's settle it with some wake and wave pics :)

I've always liked the X-15.

MC25
04-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Classic jealous adult comment. When I get home ill post wake pictures. By the way, I was old enough to drive a car when my parents bought their 2010 ;) I posted pretty well known comments on the boat, so why the hate? Its not a die hard wake or surf boat in any way shape or form!

GoneBoatN
04-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Let's settle it with some wake and wave pics :)

I've always liked the X-15.

OK. Stock ballast, 24MPH, and 70ft.

Disclaimer - not me unfortunatly

Tristarboarder
04-14-2014, 09:52 PM
^ cool pic

willyt
04-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Classic jealous adult comment.

classic rich kid calling all his dad's toys his?

GoneBoatN
04-14-2014, 10:19 PM
... the 15 drives much better than the x2...

Funny you mention that. I did not realize how much I got use to driving the X-15. I drove someone else's boat recently and it felt about as responsive as a truck with flat tires. I tend to return to a fallen rider with a line straight at him and then turn away when I get relatively near. That way I'm pretty close bringing the line to the rider. A couple of times I had to put the other boat in reverse because it would just not turn at slow speeds and by habit I was aimed straight at him - way too close. I felt like such a dork driving that boat.

MC25
04-14-2014, 10:23 PM
classic rich kid calling all his dad's toys his?

Did you catch the "my parents" and "theirs" ?

MC25
04-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Okay heres the put up or shut up wake pics. love having to defend myself every time this comes up.

Thrall
04-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Funny you mention that. I did not realize how much I got use to driving the X-15. I drove someone else's boat recently and it felt about as responsive as a truck with flat tires. I tend to return to a fallen rider with a line straight at him and then turn away when I get relatively near. That way I'm pretty close bringing the line to the rider. A couple of times I had to put the other boat in reverse because it would just not turn at slow speeds and by habit I was aimed straight at him - way too close. I felt like such a dork driving that boat.

Little, no, a lot over exaggerated.
No way the 15 is "more responsive" at idle.
I've spent almost the same hours in both. Both 06 models with the MCX.
To me, wakeboard wake is the same. 15 is maybe a touch wider but never rode them both back to back with the same rope.
15 is a touch harder to wrench to the side when loading the line. Prolly due to being 4" wider.
15 surfs a little better, both boats loaded up. The 15 will handle a lot more ballast without dippin the nose every time sneeze while turning around to pick up a rider.
And of course size. The 15 fits a couple more people than the 2 obviously.
Other than the size and outward appearance V vs Picklefork, they are VEARY similar in most respects.
Oh the 15 takes rough water a little better too.
Oh yeah, the 15 tows better too behind a half ton. Less tongue weight than a 2 on a tandem trailer.

MC25
04-14-2014, 11:13 PM
There are some really good pictures of the x2 sacked in that thread i posted.

swatguy
04-15-2014, 12:33 AM
What speed and ballast config are in those first few pics,,,,that wake looks terrible in most of those pics. The goofy side one is only one with list and speed and that looks like its starting to shape up niceley. Pics 2,5,6,7 the speed looks way slow and there is no side weight.

I have run 1000lb sac filled to capacity in the starboard or port locker, ibs, and factory kgb with great success at 10-11mph and the wake in the 15 I ride looked nothing like that frothy mess. Wheres the attitude plate at?

GoneBoatN
04-15-2014, 12:59 AM
Little, no, a lot over exaggerated.
No way the 15 is "more responsive" at idle.
I've spent almost the same hours in both. Both 06 models with the MCX.
To me, wakeboard wake is the same. 15 is maybe a touch wider but never rode them both back to back with the same rope.
15 is a touch harder to wrench to the side when loading the line. Prolly due to being 4" wider.
15 surfs a little better, both boats loaded up. The 15 will handle a lot more ballast without dippin the nose every time sneeze while turning around to pick up a rider.
And of course size. The 15 fits a couple more people than the 2 obviously.
Other than the size and outward appearance V vs Picklefork, they are VEARY similar in most respects.
Oh the 15 takes rough water a little better too.
Oh yeah, the 15 tows better too behind a half ton. Less tongue weight than a 2 on a tandem trailer.

Not really over exaggerated. However I should have mentioned the other boat I was comparing the handling against was not an X-2.

GoneBoatN
04-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Have a look in this thread for some X-15 surf wakes: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55579 Make sure you look beyond just the 1st post.

MC25
04-15-2014, 01:17 AM
What speed and ballast config are in those first few pics,,,,that wake looks terrible in most of those pics. The goofy side one is only one with list and speed and that looks like its starting to shape up niceley. Pics 2,5,6,7 the speed looks way slow and there is no side weight.

I have run 1000lb sac filled to capacity in the starboard or port locker, ibs, and factory kgb with great success at 10-11mph and the wake in the 15 I ride looked nothing like that frothy mess. Wheres the attitude plate at?

no attitude plate, just gen one tabs. Tab at 50 percent, stock kgb ballast, port full, two 400s on surf side and 8 people. Speed probably 11.2. Never ran any different set ups, they are all the same ballast set up plus or minus a few people

501s
04-15-2014, 01:39 AM
You had surf tabs, but no center tab? Odd.

MC25
04-15-2014, 02:03 AM
You had surf tabs, but no center tab? Odd.

yep....

*TX MC trailer, not mine. lol

swatguy
04-15-2014, 02:43 AM
i got a feeling that was issue right there. The boat made a great surf wake with just the center attitude plate. No surf tabs. Ballast was worth way more than tabs. I cant comment for sure as I never surfed a 15 with tabs

Thrall
04-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Not really over exaggerated. However I should have mentioned the other boat I was comparing the handling against was not an X-2.

Oh. Presumed it was a X2 since that was the comparo.
That's why I didn't get it. Both boats move around the dock and load up the same other than the extra nose weight on the X2. Makes the 15 a little easier to drive right into the boat buddy.

mzimme
04-15-2014, 01:17 PM
My only experience with an X15 was renting one out on Steamboat Lake... a lake that's about 8000 ft in elevation in the Rocky Mountains. We had 9 people on board, the boat had the MCX, and with a bow sack full, and no rear locker weight for wakeboarding, the thing couldn't even pull me on plane. Surf wave was nice, though that was more towards the beginning of my surf career so I wasn't able to drop the rope. Lots of height and length, however.

As far as never getting on plane, I don't know if it was propped incorrectly (I would hope not as it was a purchase from the Denver MC dealer, and I'd have to imagine they equip boats with a prop that works well in elevation). If it was me, and I lived in elevation, I'd stay far, far away from the MCX in a boat bigger than 20ft.

MC25
04-15-2014, 01:28 PM
I think it was a little bit of both. With 3500lbs of ballast in our 15, it struggled to get on plane. But after messing with the prop and going to a stock x star prop, it gave a lot more holeshot. But burned north of 10gph

Thrall
04-16-2014, 11:49 AM
My only experience with an X15 was renting one out on Steamboat Lake... a lake that's about 8000 ft in elevation in the Rocky Mountains. We had 9 people on board, the boat had the MCX, and with a bow sack full, and no rear locker weight for wakeboarding, the thing couldn't even pull me on plane. Surf wave was nice, though that was more towards the beginning of my surf career so I wasn't able to drop the rope. Lots of height and length, however.

As far as never getting on plane, I don't know if it was propped incorrectly (I would hope not as it was a purchase from the Denver MC dealer, and I'd have to imagine they equip boats with a prop that works well in elevation). If it was me, and I lived in elevation, I'd stay far, far away from the MCX in a boat bigger than 20ft.

It was 100% the prop.
Having run my X2 and lt1 powered Prostar all over the western slope. Blue Mesa, Stagecoach, Reudi (9k ft), I can tell you that with a stock or low altitude prop the X15 or X2 will not get out of their own way unless propped down. 14 pitch on the v drives is a necessity.
Put any of the 14.xx by 14.xx on a 5.7 L X2 or 15 and it will go again. It won't rip your arms off because it's down 30% on power or more but it will plane out fully loaded.
Even my 190 lost over 1000 rpms at those altitudes with the OE 13x13.

davidstan
04-16-2014, 12:20 PM
We slalom quite a bit and the x2 with the heavier bow has a natural better slalom wake than the 15 with both outfitted with center plate. the little bit extra weight of the 15 is in the rear and nothing you can do about that. Before i bought the 2 i came on here and got good advice as we did not want a prostar w/ tower but a boat that could do a lot of stuff well, maybe not great but well.

jakewakeboard
04-17-2014, 01:30 PM
Would you guys think an 07 X-15 would be better than an 09 X-2?

scott023
04-17-2014, 02:38 PM

I'd take a 15 over a 2, but that is personal preference.

neil.anderson63
04-17-2014, 02:45 PM

This is like debating "who brews the best beer" It really depends on your individual needs/wants - You want an all around boat, does everything great - not perfect. Either one fits the bill. X15 has more cabin room, X2 might trailer a bit easier, X15 might win on the surf wake, X2 might have a flatter slalom wake. They are pretty similar in performance for the all-around have fun at the lake family. We looked at both, I REALLY liked the X15, we put money on an 07 with the intent of buying it. Until Mrs. Anderson sat in the bow of the X2 for an afternoon..... We now own a X2. Yes, I love it - I like the X2, it does everything well and Mrs. Anderson is happy. No regrets with the boat choice or Mrs. Anderson.

501s
04-17-2014, 03:25 PM
Personally, X-15 all the way.

zamboniman
04-17-2014, 03:34 PM
X2 because I'm biased... and the cool kids like the way it looks. ;) It's the baby Xstar after all.. . Of course I know it really isn't. :D

wakecumberland
04-17-2014, 03:40 PM
I've owned both and now have an X15. I love both boats, but between the two its a no brainer to me. X15 all day long. I agree with everything swatguy said.