PDA

View Full Version : Transom Tie Down Straps & Gen 2 Tabs

Jonb1822
04-12-2014, 10:53 PM
Is anyone else having issues with your transom straps resting against the Gen 2 Tabs?

What's straps are y'all using if you didn't get the factory ones?

KnoxX2
04-13-2014, 02:01 AM
I have never used them. That boat is so heavy, it will not go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stefan
04-13-2014, 02:15 AM
No problem at all, but I have a custom german trailer with the boat buckles added

MC25
04-13-2014, 02:39 AM
Any pics of your boat on your german trailer? intrigued to see what that big beast looks like on one.

JDK
04-13-2014, 03:11 AM

This guy used to think so too.

501s
04-13-2014, 10:55 AM
No offense, but I would never drive around without the straps on. It's a $100k boat and with boat buckles we are literally talking about 30 seconds worth if time. Not good advice if you ask me.

KnoxX2
04-13-2014, 11:07 AM
To each his own. This has just been my experience. I'm not saying something can't happen in a crash. Just under normal conditions the boat will not move.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Heavier still, yet secured.;)

Jonb1822
04-13-2014, 11:58 AM
I have always used them, but now with the Gen 2 tabs the place to hook on the trailer should really be moved further down on the trailer or the hooks on the boat moved further in.

MC25
04-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I also never used the tie down straps, and I towed the boat a few thousand miles. to each his own.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-13-2014, 12:17 PM
In reality, if nothing goes wrong, there is no need for the bow strap either once the bunk carpet dries. Ever try to re-position your boat?

GoneBoatN
04-13-2014, 12:56 PM
No offense, but I would never drive around without the straps on. It's a $100k boat and with boat buckles we are literally talking about 30 seconds worth if time. Not good advice if you ask me.

+1. Even if not a $100k boat.

Nick911
04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Would insurance cover you in an accident if they found out the boat was not tied down?

Nick911
04-13-2014, 01:35 PM
Not to mention your own safety.

DemolitionMan
04-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Heavier still, yet secured.;)

Hopefully he has a chain on the boom. The d.o.t.man will give you a ticket if its not chained down.

GoneBoatN
04-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Anyone ever follow a boat/trailer down a not so smooth road and watch the two smack each other repeatedly?

Tis the reason I also have an additional strap to pull the bow down to the roller/buddy and hold it secure.

Oh, and as far as the "heavy" argument, that just means the boat is definitely going to slide forward if you need to get on the brakes hard.

The expression "playing with fire" comes to mind.

Interesting how we got on this track. The OP was not questioning the use of straps but rather how to strap with the Gen2 Tabs. I take it that they are getting in the way of the standard strap connection. If you bought both boat and trailer from a dealer new, I would take it back to them and kindly request that it be fixed/corrected.

Otherwise, if Boat Buckle like suggested prior is not a direction you want to take, maybe something like the following positioned such that they do not interfere with your Gen2 tabs. You could even have them welded in place and re-paint to match your trailer.

Jonb1822
04-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Anyone ever follow a boat/trailer down a not so smooth road and watch the two smack each other repeatedly?

Tis the reason I also have an additional strap to pull the bow down to the roller/buddy and hold it secure.

Oh, and as far as the "heavy" argument, that just means the boat is definitely going to slide forward if you need to get on the brakes hard.

The expression "playing with fire" comes to mind.

Interesting how we got on this track. The OP was not questioning the use of straps but rather how to strap with the Gen2 Tabs. I take it that they are getting in the way of the standard strap connection. If you bought both boat and trailer from a dealer new, I would take it back to them and kindly request that it be fixed/corrected.

Otherwise, if Boat Buckle like suggested prior is not a direction you want to take, maybe something like the following positioned such that they do not interfere with your Gen2 tabs. You could even have them welded in place and re-paint to match your trailer.

Is anyone using these adapters for Boat Buckles?

Welding might be the best option. Thanks for the idea.

Stefan
04-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Any pics of your boat on your german trailer? intrigued to see what that big beast looks like on one.

Your wish, shall...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=989&pictureid=6222

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=989&pictureid=6221

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=989&pictureid=6223

Sorry for the low quality, will do more pictures of the boat once I get them together

MC25
04-13-2014, 04:44 PM
WOW.. your boat is gorgeous!!!

KahunaCraft
04-13-2014, 05:10 PM
That looks awesome.

CaptainKirk
04-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Sweet Ride!

JDK
04-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Would insurance cover you in an accident if they found out the boat was not tied down?

If you were involved in an accident around here and the cops had anything to do with it -- the first thing that would happen is you'd get an 'improperly secured load' ticket..... even if you had nothing to do with the cause of the original incident.

Above is best case scenario -- if you caused the original accident and your 'strapless' boat made the situation worse for whomever else was involved (or some bystander) .... I'd say your probably going to become familiar with the legal system pretty quickly.

501s
04-13-2014, 07:55 PM
All that or spend 30 seconds securing your valued possession. Doesn't seem like a tough decision.

If you were involved in an accident around here and the cops had anything to do with it -- the first thing that would happen is you'd get an 'improperly secured load' ticket..... even if you had nothing to do with the cause of the original incident.

Above is best case scenario -- if you caused the original accident and your 'strapless' boat made the situation worse for whomever else was involved (or some bystander) .... I'd say your probably going to become familiar with the legal system pretty quickly.

MC25
04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
I think were all exaggerating a little here.

Jonb1822
04-13-2014, 08:36 PM
I think were all exaggerating a little here.

Yea this thread became pointless. Lol

Except for the nice pics of the X46

texasjet
04-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Not sure if exaggeration is the point. But if you have ever had your boat move on the trailer, that is just an awful feeling and well worth the time to put on the tie down straps.

Just one of those things where you never want to say. " why didn't I take the time to ....."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nick911
04-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Doesn't the trailer say as well that the bow strap is not a rated anchoring device? I have a tie down to connect the bow eye to that hook below it on the trailer. Off topic I know.

CantRepeat
04-14-2014, 11:59 AM
MC should probably look at welding on some new tabs so you can attach boat buckles in a location that won't have issues with gen2 tabs. I would have thought that would have been part of the design part.

Short of that, get a welder to add some tabs in a better location.

dt37803
04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
109248My X 2 tabs don't seem to be a problem

Morety
04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
It's not an issue on my X10 with Gen2 tabs and Boat Buckles on a Boatmate trailer.

Jonb1822
04-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Yea looks like I need to install boat buckles.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2014, 12:44 PM

Really nice addition if you launch a lot.

CantRepeat
04-14-2014, 01:52 PM

The order is for a pair, not a single so don't order two of them.

willyt
04-14-2014, 03:13 PM
seriously guys? some of you are not using transom tie downs?

Aric - 'in your experience' have you ever been in an accident towing the boat? the tie downs didn't do a thing then?

I'm not sure about other states, but in Ohio and Kentucky its state law that you have to have 3 points of connection between the boat and trailer.

reminds me of one of those things that's not important until its REALLY important.

Jonb1822
04-14-2014, 05:16 PM
The order is for a pair, not a single so don't order two of them.

Thanks for the heads up!

scott023
04-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Off original topic, but I have never towed my boat (including the mile drive from the lake to my house) without transom tie downs in place. Just too many things can happen to make a minor incident into a nightmare. JMO

MC25
04-14-2014, 06:19 PM
seriously guys? some of you are not using transom tie downs?

Aric - 'in your experience' have you ever been in an accident towing the boat? the tie downs didn't do a thing then?

I'm not sure about other states, but in Ohio and Kentucky its state law that you have to have 3 points of connection between the boat and trailer.

reminds me of one of those things that's not important until its REALLY important.

Do you really think those small straps are going to do anything to a 4500 pound boat? Someone rear ended my neighbors boat without transom tie downs. You think his boat flew through his back window? Nope. If you're in an accident where the boat is going to fall off the trailer, I would rather it fall then take the truck and trailer with it. Towing the boat, I never had any problems with it moving driving round trip 160 miles every weekend and probably 30 miles during the week. If you're driving like a d*ck and swerving in and out of traffic, maybe you'll need them. Maybe your boat trailer slides off an steep shoulder and the boat slides off, but you and your family is untouched because the boat didn't drag them down with it? There are many sides that could support both arguments. There are many variables to these images of boats sitting on the freeway than just not having transom tie downs.

In other words, do what you want.

Sodar
04-14-2014, 06:25 PM
This summer, I am mounting the GoPro to the trailer to show that tie-downs help. If nothing more, they keep the trailer attached to be boat... not the other way around. If you all like your boats smacking the trailer while you drive, that's your business!

CruisinGA
04-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Do you really think those small straps are going to do anything to a 4500 pound boat? Someone rear ended my neighbors boat without transom tie downs. You think his boat flew through his back window? Nope. If you're in an accident where the boat is going to fall off the trailer, I would rather it fall then take the truck and trailer with it. Towing the boat, I never had any problems with it moving driving round trip 160 miles every weekend and probably 30 miles during the week. If you're driving like a d*ck and swerving in and out of traffic, maybe you'll need them. Maybe your boat trailer slides off an steep shoulder and the boat slides off, but you and your family is untouched because the boat didn't drag them down with it? There are many sides that could support both arguments. There are many variables to these images of boats sitting on the freeway than just not having transom tie downs.

In other words, do what you want.

I guess I should stop properly strapping down my 4000lb Land Cruiser on the car trailer when I tow it to go rock crawling so that it my save my family?

I have to disagree that less secure attachment between the boat and trailer is safer in nearly any instance.

MC25
04-14-2014, 08:45 PM
It was an example to add sides to the argument. By the way, uhaul trailers only strap down the fronts of the cars and I dont think they have problems.

A car with an active suspension (and a soft one like your crawler) is a complete different ball game in terms of potential and kinetic energy. So not apples to apples comparison.

501s
04-14-2014, 09:30 PM
I just don't see the reason to keep debating whether or not to strap down your boat to your trailer. WHAT advantage can there possibly be other than saving 30 seconds? Just the thought of something happening and than having to say "Ya I could have strapped it down but that would have taken almost a minute and I can't spare the time" seems like reason enough to do it. Is this really something anyone would want to be proven wrong about? There are a million different precautions we take in life everyday, it seems like maybe there are others things you could skip to save that valuable time.

scott023
04-14-2014, 09:48 PM
I just don't see the reason to keep debating whether or not to strap down your boat to your trailer. WHAT advantage can there possibly be other than saving 30 seconds? Just the thought of something happening and than having to say "Ya I could have strapped it down but that would have taken almost a minute and I can't spare the time" seems like reason enough to do it. Is this really something anyone would want to be proven wrong about? There are a million different precautions we take in life everyday, it seems like maybe there are others things you could skip to save that valuable time.

Very well stated Levi. I echo this thought process exactly.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-14-2014, 10:15 PM

Very well stated Levi. I echo this thought process exactly.

I'm with you guys on this.