PDA

View Full Version : Let the season begin! Goals for the year...

JMLVMI
04-12-2014, 12:08 AM
So psyched to begin season 2 of our MC journey. Successfully de-winterized the boat (thanks to Eastie for the checklists) and we're set for the shakedown cruise tomorrow morning! Still have to detail it and clean up the teak, but I'll do that soon.

Goals for the year:

* Run the course
* Get my wife slaloming again
* Get my 2 year old to ride behind the boat on his trainer/tube without screaming
* Teach at least 10 friends and their kids about the joy of waterskiing!

skitilldark
04-12-2014, 12:15 AM
So psyched to begin season 2 of our MC journey. Successfully de-winterized the boat (thanks to Eastie for the checklists) and we're set for the shakedown cruise tomorrow morning! Still have to detail it and clean up the teak, but I'll do that soon.

Goals for the year:

* Run the course
* Get my 2 year old to ride behind the boat on his trainer/tube without screaming

Pictures please. For those of us who still have a month to go.

mzimme
04-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Invert.

Lose 30 lbs??? :(

JMLVMI
04-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Pictures please. For those of us who still have a month to go.

You got it...but there will be no going in the water! 65* is my limit and we're only at 60.

CaptainKirk
04-12-2014, 12:39 AM

Goals for the year:

* Run the course

Awesome! I can't wait to get out with the kids.

MC25
04-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Stop sucking at wake boarding. roll to blind is the goal. banish surfing. lol

GoneBoatN
04-12-2014, 02:22 AM
Invert.

Lose 30 lbs??? :(

I have the same goals but I have the reverse order thinking life will be easier that way. Or at least less hurt-full. :D

epnault
04-12-2014, 04:43 AM
You got it...but there will be no going in the water! 65* is my limit and we're only at 60.

Dont wait. Get a full wetsuit so you can enjoy your boat and skiiing early and late in the season. I finally broke down and got one last year. 45 degrees is my start but unfortunatley my lake is still solid.

I have a goal this year like yours, ski the course.

H2ORidr
04-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Not specifically boat related, but my boat helped me get to this point so I am ready to advance. Be self-sufficient kite surfing. Enter the water at a beach and go upwind enough to come back out at the same place and avoid "the walk of shame." I'm heading to South Padre Island, Texas next week to try to make this happen.

Lose 30-35 pounds and I am half way there (I eat nothing white and it is working).
Teach both my girls to slalomn. They almost have it but not quite.
Learn to jump wake to wake on a board at my old age.
Get up on a board with my youngest on my shoulders.
Find someone that can teach my youngest how to do a backflip on her board.
Learn to surf behind the boat and teach my girls the same.
Oh and teach my oldest girl to ride a wakeboard and a kiteboard. She can't ride one stick right now.

clrussell
04-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Not break anything will be a good start!

Hope to go invert this year! Maybe this week :D

Teach as many people to surf as possible. I see it being a huge fun factor for everyone on board.

Spend many hours behind the boat. My goal is 100 hours!

BudmanV24
04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
....not hit any tree stumps

2RLAKE
04-12-2014, 09:02 AM
getting up longline backwards again ...

mikeg205
04-12-2014, 09:39 AM
6 at @15off 28-30

ski my tail off this year....

jump wake to wake on my wakeboard... not a big deal for most... but only wakeboard a handful of times a year and usually after I have been slaloming...

scott023
04-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I really want to hit 360s surfing this year.

JasterCraft
04-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Put at least 50 hrs on the boat (might seem like an easy goal, but we have a 14 month old and a ton of summer traveling to do).

I figure if I do that, everything else will fall into place.

CaptainKirk
04-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I just want to drive the boat!

MC25
04-12-2014, 11:04 AM
....not hit any tree stumps

Don't let Jeff drive lol

MI_Corey
04-12-2014, 11:24 AM
In no particular order:
At least two new inverts
Start grabbing inverts
Handle pass 360's
At least man up enough to try raleys
Get my wife to be more comfortable with driving the boat

501s
04-12-2014, 11:37 AM
My plans are to get my 5 year old (soon to be 6) doing wake jumps and 180s, get my daughter up and wakeboarding/surfing by herself for the first time, and keep my wife interested and into surfing.

I'd like to learn: grabbed back rolls and Tantrums, and I'd like to try a HS front flip. I'd also like to get TS Front Rolls, HS BS360's and grabbed BS180s consistent. But as long as we can get another 100 hours on the boat I will be happy.

craig3972
04-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Raleys at age 48
toe side backroll
dont get hurt!

Hammer
04-12-2014, 12:44 PM
35 off.
NO INJURIES! !!!!!!!
Surfing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GoneBoatN
04-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Primary goal - wakeboard my brains out. Doing good so far.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

GoneBoatN
04-12-2014, 06:20 PM

atihanyi
04-12-2014, 06:38 PM
28/34 and I believe I can get there

geordie-wake
04-12-2014, 06:42 PM
My 22yr old son wants to learn to wakeboard at last after several years of hints. I want to recover enough from last years back injury so I can get on the board again and fully enjoy our MC wake since its been a long road to own one, but until then a lazy surf is looking possible according to my chiropractor. So my main goal this year is learn to surf and no more injuries.

supreme112279
04-12-2014, 08:03 PM
I want to actually land an invert. And just ski a whole lot

JMLVMI
04-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Got my 3-month old out on the boat for the first time today. She liked it...as long as we were moving! I left the bimini off and that was a mistake... the stuff that goes on your boat with two kids under 2 is quite different from a day skiing with the guys!

TN X-45
04-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Got my 3-month old out on the boat for the first time today. She liked it...as long as we were moving! I left the bimini off and that was a mistake... the stuff that goes on your boat with two kids under 2 is quite different from a day skiing with the guys!

Try a neoprene life vest. That will help immensely! Beautiful family and boat!

MI_Corey
04-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Both of our boys were under 2 last year so I understand! The amount of stuff we had on board was crazy but luckily both of them love it. I'm hoping this year will be a little easier with them turning 2 and 3 in the fall.

SunCoast 83
04-13-2014, 11:19 PM
To use my boat a lot more than last year. Only got out 7 trips in 2013

Tristarboarder
04-13-2014, 11:36 PM
I have a 7 month old. And a new-to-me xstar. Never even been on a launch with it yet, killing me.... Do you think it is remotely possible to get him out on the boat safely without too much hassle or discomfort for him? Anyone taken an infant that young out for a day of wake boarding? That's my goal....take the new boat out, but my entire family will go (6year old, and wife also). Break in my new ballast bags, break in my new Ronix board and Parks bindings....I even bought a surf board, never tried....might be a slow Summer

MC25
04-13-2014, 11:57 PM
did you get the 2014 parks camber?

Tristarboarder
04-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Naw, I found a smokin' deal on some '13 Parks Space Silver/The Juice. They match my black Ronix Mana perfectly...dying to try it, and the boots fit great, nice features

JMLVMI
04-14-2014, 01:56 AM
I have a 7 month old. And a new-to-me xstar. Never even been on a launch with it yet, killing me.... Do you think it is remotely possible to get him out on the boat safely without too much hassle or discomfort for him? Anyone taken an infant that young out for a day of wake boarding? That's my goal....take the new boat out, but my entire family will go (6year old, and wife also). Break in my new ballast bags, break in my new Ronix board and Parks bindings....I even bought a surf board, never tried....might be a slow Summer

All depends on the kid. You've got to factor in naptime, diapers, feeding, etc. We never did a full day with him (and still don't now, but it's due to me being a water snob and only going skiing on weekday evenings and early weekend mornings :cool:) Wish you the best of luck, but sometimes those amazing kids can get in the way!

02ProstarSammyD
04-14-2014, 06:54 AM
You mean the lake is 67!

http://www.ncsu.edu/wq/RTRM/dp12/dp12cc.html

MI_Corey
04-14-2014, 07:21 AM

We did with both of ours at that age. Mainly we just had to make sure it wouldn't be too hot that day because you can't get little ones enough water at that age. Over cast days were good though and we brought his little swing seat thing that fit in the bow walkway. With that, they mainly just slept all day.

tlukens
04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Colsac Skiers Goal. 500 skiers behind our new boat. We got an early start (for Wisconsin) this weekend pulling for Jan's Fans, a fundraiser for Multiple Sclerosis.

TxsRiverRat
04-14-2014, 11:41 AM
1. I want to run 28 off
2. I want to get my GF her 1st 15í off pass around red buoys

3. More than anything, I want to run the best Slalom Ski League MSC has ever seen...

This is the 3rd season for me to run it, and this is the 2nd year in a row it is SOLD OUT... It got so popular that I had to extend it to 10 weeks, and I will have 2 teams of 9 skiers. The skiers will be competing against each other and collectively versus the other team, all on opposite weeks... It is going to be a blast, and itís the 1st year the ski league staff will compete it it (me, Kyle and Phntmski)...

Iíll probably have a thread on here once it starts

JasterCraft
04-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Our son was on the boat at one month old and several times after last summer. He'll be 14 months tomorrow and we were just out yesterday. Funny, but he was most calm when sitting on the lap of whoever was driving...made things easy for my wife when I was skiing.

As another poster mentioned, you just have to factor things like naps, diapers, feeding into the day. When we take Breck with us on the boat, my priorities are definitely different than when it used to be just me and my wife. Now, I'm just happy that we are spending family time on the water and if I get to ski, it's a bonus (and I usually do). I'm equally happy that we are not one of those families who put their boat up for sale and claim they won't be using it "now that the baby is here."

Lastly, I would highly recommend a life vest like the one you see pictured. It's the best I've found for this age. It was a little big for him last summer but he wasn't cannon-balling off the side of the boat either. It's a perfect fit for him now.

JasterCraft
04-14-2014, 11:57 AM

Love it! The bimini is mandatory with kids.

JamesL
04-14-2014, 12:07 PM
not to hurt myself and be out for another season and put 100 hours on the boat

ncsucarjock88
04-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Learn how to ski well.

Got up yesterday for the first time behind my (new to me) boat. Water was still *way* too cold, and I had an inexperienced MC driver at the helm - took me a few tries to get up (more throttle, please...). New ski feels odd to me, and turns if you breathe. That's pretty different.

I can tell I have a steep learning curve. I need the water to get warmer (so I don't get hypothermia), put the boom on, and go play around with this new ski a bit.

Then it's all form, drills, and becoming truly proficient. Maybe by the end of the season I'll be ready to ski a course - I've never done that...

GoneBoatN
04-14-2014, 02:28 PM

I ran into a couple guys who just had kids and are avid wakeboarders. Theirs are around the 7-9 month range. They time the trips out around nap time if possible. Have blankets for the cooler temps and keep them in the shade of the bimini. They try to keep the kid in a carrier which in my opinion is a good idea as it provide good support for a little bumpy ride. They keep a infant PFD handy but not on while in the carrier. While laws required the PFD to be on, it's not exactly comfortable for the kid while in the carrier. Someone is holding the carrier in place at all times while the boat is in motion. Seems like the kid goes to sleep from the vibration of the engine. A little care and some common sense and you should be fine.

JMLVMI
04-14-2014, 03:05 PM
Learn how to ski well.

Got up yesterday for the first time behind my (new to me) boat. Water was still *way* too cold, and I had an inexperienced MC driver at the helm - took me a few tries to get up (more throttle, please...). New ski feels odd to me, and turns if you breathe. That's pretty different.

I can tell I have a steep learning curve. I need the water to get warmer (so I don't get hypothermia), put the boom on, and go play around with this new ski a bit.

Then it's all form, drills, and becoming truly proficient. Maybe by the end of the season I'll be ready to ski a course - I've never done that...

Shame the weather is going to be so bad this week... :mad:

Tristarboarder
04-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice...its gonna be an adventure for sure. The very first thing I bought for my star was a Bimini for that very reason. The carrier idea sounds like the best bet. He always falls asleep from the vibration if the car on even short trips...

skitilldark
04-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Wear ear plugs if you're going to try the roll to blind. I blasted an ear drum out attempting that.

ST

ncsucarjock88
04-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Shame the weather is going to be so bad this week... :mad:

Yeah...well... that water has to warm up *significantly* before I'm getting in again. I don't care what the RDU temp gauge says... that water wasn't 60*F. More like 50*F. 20 minutes in, and I was feeling like the beginning stages of hypothermia... No thanks. Spent and hour to get warm...when I got back in the truck I turned on the heat. It was 80* outside...

They'll be plenty of summer ahead. No point in going crazy right now. Besides... I think the boom needs to come out, and I need to learn this ski...

Thomas21
04-14-2014, 11:28 PM
I want to teach my wife to back the trailer in the water without freaking out or jack knifing or both. She does ok as long as the ramp is not busy.

Tristarboarder
04-14-2014, 11:44 PM
^ HA!!! We all (well, most of us) wish our other half's (gf or wifes) could do that successfully with the above mentioned concerns. No way for me, all though she expressed great interest, not the best coordination :D

MC25
04-15-2014, 12:26 AM
Wear ear plugs if you're going to try the roll to blind. I blasted an ear drum out attempting that.

ST

I broke the baseplates off some ronix boots on my old parks board when trying them. Knocked me stone cold out!

MC25
04-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice...its gonna be an adventure for sure. The very first thing I bought for my star was a Bimini for that very reason. The carrier idea sounds like the best bet. He always falls asleep from the vibration if the car on even short trips...

No idea how old i am in this pic, but we were rocking a PS 190!

JMLVMI
04-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Yeah...well... that water has to warm up *significantly* before I'm getting in again. I don't care what the RDU temp gauge says... that water wasn't 60*F. More like 50*F. 20 minutes in, and I was feeling like the beginning stages of hypothermia... No thanks. Spent and hour to get warm...when I got back in the truck I turned on the heat. It was 80* outside...

They'll be plenty of summer ahead. No point in going crazy right now. Besides... I think the boom needs to come out, and I need to learn this ski...

I've got a spring wetsuit (2mm/1mm, long sleeves w/ shorts) and I haven't gotten in yet. Not sure what this crap week is going to do w/ water temps, but I'm hoping to get in to the water in April for sure. I am going to bring along a small cooler filled with warm water to dump into my suit before I go out there.

I know the northerner guys are either 1) laughing at us b/c we are such wimps or 2) cursing us b/c their lakes are still under a foot of ice or more!

Let me know if you want to head out with another TTer, my schedule's usually pretty busy but the wife may let me go out to help a MC brother in need! :cool:

GoneBoatN
05-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Well so far, 4 trips out on my boat (14.3 hours added to the hour meter), 5 trips out on a friends boat, 4 trips to the cable park. This is since about middle of March. Still not enough!

Wakerider16
05-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Primary goal this year is to actually wakeboard behind the new boat (teaching the wife how to drive is the biggest obstacle).

Also would like to be able to nail a wake to wake transition cleanly (last boat I was behind was an outboard fishing boat so jumps were not feasible there)

Also would like to try and get setup surfing this year with my x-mas gift (CWB surfboard). We shall see how well that goes.

06MCX15
05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
I want to get my now 8 year old son out on a wakeboard. I have been dreaming about it since he was 4! I finally think he is ready (fingers crossed)....

He has also been a boater since about 5 weeks old, and his sister since 4 weeks. You can never start them too young! Every time we go out, you can see the excitement in thier eyes....

GoneBoatN
05-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I want to get my now 8 year old son out on a wakeboard. I have been dreaming about it since he was 4! I finally think he is ready (fingers crossed)....

He has also been a boater since about 5 weeks old, and his sister since 4 weeks. You can never start them too young! Every time we go out, you can see the excitement in thier eyes....

Very cool picture.

06MCX15
05-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks GoneBoaN! I have patiently waited for him to say he wants to ride behind the boat on a wakeboard, and this is the year. Now if it would only get warm around here. It actually snowed out this morning. Uggggh.....

FoggyNogginz
05-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Lose 15, and get back to 6 @ 22 off/32mph. Oh, and I wanna surf a lot and drink sweet tea and rum drinks.

jovoth
05-16-2014, 06:30 PM
100 hrs on boat. Land tantrum and h.s. back roll. Get kids up on HO Sure Shot ski trainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex
05-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Teach my son to drive, heli, barefoot long line, and anything else I can think of!

GoneBoatN
08-25-2014, 01:43 AM

I'm so with you on that one but I try to keep my mouth shut about it on this forum... :D

GoneBoatN
08-25-2014, 02:11 AM

I'm doing pretty good on this one so far. For example, the past two weeks I was on the water 4 times each week (3 boat to 1 cable). Not every week has been that much but not that far off either. :):):)

At the cable park, I've learnt to do 180's off the kickers and I can hit all the features including multi-level slider on the outside which was last week's "new item". Outside features with the counter clockwise rotation are more difficult for me. But I learnt to just go into them switch. I'm at a point where I have to think hard as to which way is switch for me (at the cable park, freaking boat riding reminds me with ease). I made a commitment to myself that when I go to the cable park I must accomplish one new thing each trip. I think the next time I go I'm ready for a toe side front roll - it will be my first invert ever. I need to adhere to that same commitment for boat riding.

As far as boat, I finally made w2w on toe side. Yes, I cheated and shortened the rope a bit but I'm still counting it. I've got one wake 180's down pretty good. I have a new board that I really like. I can ride it with the .6 fins which means it is loose on the water when I want it to be. When I set it on edge it really bits in so much better for me to track to the top of the wake on edge. It is also a full 3-stage with an abrupt rocker line so it has plenty of lift off the wake.

Now if only I had actually lost some of that 30 lbs I wanted to get rid of... :mad:

This week is going to suck a bit as I travel to San Antonio, Tx for work Mon-Wed (although I see there is a cable park along the way on my drive between Austin and SA). That leaves only Thursday as an opportunity to do me some boarding as I will not go on the water on holiday weekends.

H2ORidr
08-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Not specifically boat related, but my boat helped me get to this point so I am ready to advance. Be self-sufficient kite surfing. Enter the water at a beach and go upwind enough to come back out at the same place and avoid "the walk of shame." I'm heading to South Padre Island, Texas next week to try to make this happen.

Lose 30-35 pounds and I am half way there (I eat nothing white and it is working).
Teach both my girls to slalomn. They almost have it but not quite.
Learn to jump wake to wake on a board at my old age.
Get up on a board with my youngest on my shoulders.
Find someone that can teach my youngest how to do a backflip on her board.
Learn to surf behind the boat and teach my girls the same.
Oh and teach my oldest girl to ride a wakeboard and a kiteboard. She can't ride one stick right now.

Year is almost over because it will get cold here pretty quickly. The summer started out lousy and we lost the entire month of June due to rain. The kids and I got out on our SeaDoo jet ski a lot and that helped, but the MC stayed parked until July.

Weight loss stalled, but I am getting serious about that again.
Both my kids can slalom and they can both start out on one ski. No more hunting for dropped skis.
I still can't jump yet. I can cut into the wake like a monster but every time I chicken out and do just a tiny little hop. A friend says if I ever get over my fear I am going to sail like a bird based on how well I attack the wave. I just need to get over my fear.
Never got a chance (yet) to try monkey riding my daughter on my shoulders on a wake board.
My youngest (11 yr old) did not learn to do a backflip, but she did learn to barefoot and she loves it. So I'll swap backflips for barefooting.
Never got out to learn to surf. Too many more fun things to learn than going slow. 8p
My oldest learned to wakeboard and wakeskate. She learned pretty quickly which was surprising.

Bonus points:
Got my wife up on skis and she loves it.
My oldest daughter (14 yrs old) got her boat license and she is a champ at driving the boat. Her experience of 2 years with our PWC really paid off. To watch her launch and drive away at the boat ramp and more importantly watch the people at the launch watch her is priceless. She really knows what to do and we are the fastest people launching and landing our boat at the ramp. We are like the Indy 500 Pit crews. :D
Local water ski show was a big success and I was able to get 8 kids up on skis in less than 90 minutes the first night of practice. Also taught a teenager to ski this summer and she loves it.
I learned to drive the boat a lot better. I thought I was good, but I had a lot to learn. I was able to get a row of 10 kids up at once behind the boat, and I was able to get 4 pairs of doubles off the dock without anyone falling. Even drove for a 3/2/1 pyramid. Several kids at the water ski show said I was better than the old guard guy that has been doing it for a million years. :D Next year I am going to knock it out of the park because I am upgrading my PP to GPS based and I will be able to hold rock solid speeds for the big acts.

It is not 100% over, but so far it has been a good year.

GoneBoatN
09-13-2014, 11:57 PM
So I started doing behind the boat what I've been doing when I go to the cable park - I must try and hopefully accomplish some new thing each outing (no matter how trivial, it counts).

So recently, I've added the following to my ability:
Riding Cuff,
Back side board slide (both sides)
One wake 180 (both sides, I go from switch to regular)
W2W toe side.

For a bonus, I was attempting practicing toe side W2W, but I also practice switch riding quite a bit. I forgot I flipped to switch when I went for what I though was a toe side W2W. Since this was before I was clearing Toe Side W2W (admittedly with a very short rope), I was rather surprised that I cleared the wake. Then I also realized I was facing chest towards the boat when I landed, so I had just done a switch heel side W2W.

Finally, I'm out of the rut I've been stuck in (for quite some time) and in addition I'm declaring myself no longer a Heel-Side-Hero. This has turned out to be a fantastic season for this 53 year old man. Yet another reason I think I'm just going year round this year.

My next "one new thing" will be to go one wake 180 (regular to switch). This is actually more difficult for me behind the boat (opposed to switch back to regular).

What I'm finding is that doing these simple "on new thing"s is increasing my overall riding ability.

GoneBoatN
01-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Well my season began March 15th'ish so I'm not considering it as ended until March 14th of this year.

I actually made quite a bit of progress this year. Solid w2w toe-side. Half-cab. Much improved height on HS w2w, hitting really stupid-big features at the cable park, etc. Yesterday I finally went decently inverted (intentionally). I'm starting to practice for a backroll. I slowed the boat to 19.6, pulled the rope in to 54ft. I did the "one wake low impact" where I was trying to go upside down but not actually fully around by drifting out just a few feet and making a hard but short cut at the wake. 1st attempt I landed on my shoulders - board in the air, but in the air, lower back in the air - not bad. Second attempt my buddies said I made it around to 2 o'clock position - I was stoked about that. It was the end of our day and I did this on the way back in. I accomplished even more than what I wanted which was to get to at least the 12 o'clock position. Now I have something I can work with.

Next steps: Continue working on getting use to that flipping (load and release) feeling. Get the roll completion to around the 4-5 o'clock position or where ever I start to feel the board dig into the water. At that point I will add a little speed to the boat, make a wider cut, grow a pair and go for it. Maybe start with a couple beers and a monster drink right before said attempt.

MC25
01-22-2015, 12:09 PM
thats quite the leap! Progression at its finest! I would focus on getting a little more air on your w2w before diving into your HS BR. Makes a world of difference when youre spotting your ladings.. Ive taken plenty of nasty diggers at BR attempts due to landing short on the top of the wake.

Roman
01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
My goals

Bigger air HS w2w grabs
Learn TS w2w
Learn HS 180
Learn HS 360
Improve HS and TS 360 spins on flats
Improve Ollie on flats
Improve switch riding

wakesurf...need to learn basic spins

GF Goals

Rope less wakesurf
HS w2w
A flatland trick like Ollie

Boat hours goals
Hit 100 hours this season

GoneBoatN
01-22-2015, 12:19 PM
thats quite the leap! Progression at its finest! I would focus on getting a little more air on your w2w before diving into your HS BR. Makes a world of difference when youre spotting your ladings.. Ive taken plenty of nasty diggers at BR attempts due to landing short on the top of the wake.

I found the "miracle of the short rope". You can't help but clear it when you ride in the spot where the wakes are just about one. LoL. Seriously, using a short rope and slower speed to learn and then let the rope out as you get comfortable has helped me vastly this year.

GoneBoatN
07-13-2015, 09:09 PM
So I have a really solid TS W2W jump. It actually is at the point where I'm stronger on TS than HS jumps getting more height.

Behind the boat:
1) I've been doing a Half Cab for a while now but they are getting higher as I can hold a more solid edge up the wake.
2) TS FS 180 - I do this pretty solid
3) HS FS 180 - this was a little illusive for me but I started nailing it this past weekend.
4) Beginning grabs, mostly HS

At the cable park, I hit every feature including:
1) round stuff - turns out it's not so hard.
2) the wavy rail - first time I went at it with way too much speed, that was interesting.
3) the high rail that is adjoining a wide box. Sliding off the rail and landing onto the box rather than into the water was interesting.

Now I have to figure out what to work on next, boat and cable...

clrussell
07-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Sounds like your making solid progression! Mine has went backwards the last month. I've barely been able to get behind the boat.

I've got an hour scheduled with Kirby liesmann in early August. Hopefully he can help me out. Although without ride time I'm not going to get any better

tex
07-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Teach my son to drive, heli, barefoot long line, and anything else I can think of!

Will have time now that I'm out for the season!

Rockman
07-14-2015, 01:25 PM
Will have time now that I'm out for the season!

What the hell?

tex
07-14-2015, 01:46 PM
What the hell?

I tore my hamstring shoe skiing last week. Retracted 9cm's....getting cut on Thursday! I have had a terrible run!

CheeseSteak1
07-28-2015, 09:55 PM
Finally brave enough to start trying a backroll. The wipeouts are nowhere near as bad as I imagined. I hit a few that were close but this is the only one on video. Sorry for the lens finger

sparkymoffett
07-29-2015, 09:57 AM
wake to wake on the wakeboard (toe and heelside) and getting more comfy with the surface 180's.
i'm only on my 6th time riding.

H2ORidr
07-29-2015, 04:21 PM
wake to wake on the wakeboard (toe and heelside) and getting more comfy with the surface 180's.

6th time riding and you can do those tricks? Can I hate you now? :(

tkemperdc
07-29-2015, 05:07 PM
What......I must be old hard to teach an old dog

sparkymoffett
07-29-2015, 05:09 PM
6th time riding and you can do those tricks? Can I hate you now? :(

I"ve landed one w/w heelside and did one successful surface 180. (which was really cool because then i was switch heelside and accidentally hit the wake and did a small half cab! freaked me out.)
I have skateboarded for 20+ years and snowboard here in colorado...so kind of comfy on the board BUT the biggest thing is what to do with my hands!! That is constantly messing me up.

GoneBoatN
07-30-2015, 11:49 AM
What......I must be old hard to teach an old dog

Me too. But yesterday I finally learned to really stomp on my HS FS 180. I have been having a hard time doing the complete 180 and transitioning to the new foot.

Advice from a friend was to go in a bit more front foot heavy as this becomes your new rear foot and helps with getting it weighted correctly (not landing too much front foot heavy).

The second thing that helped was to really pull in on the handle as you leave the wake. Then, and only then, stuff the handle to your hip/back-pocket. This is something I do habitually at the cable park going off kickers as it makes the landings so much easier.

After I started doing both the above, every one on my FS HS 180s were completely around, landed with great balance, got so much pop I took a couple out into the flats (and since they felt so good I did not freak out when that happened). Nice to ride those away with a good looking TS edging form rather than that bent over butt out looks like crxp style.

It's always nice to just have things "click". A shame it does not happen more often or faster for me. Oh well, sometimes I enjoy crashing behind the boat just as much. I can say that learning to fall correctly is one of the most useful wakeboarding skills. :D

Me thinks that those two items above may also be the key to me getting that last 1/4 rotation on my backroll that I continually come up short on...

sparkymoffett
07-30-2015, 12:07 PM
NICE!!!! haven't tried the jumping 180's yet..but, i'll keep those tips in mind!

tkemperdc
07-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Me too. But yesterday I finally learned to really stomp on my HS FS 180. I have been having a hard time doing the complete 180 and transitioning to the new foot.

Advice from a friend was to go in a bit more front foot heavy as this becomes your new rear foot and helps with getting it weighted correctly (not landing too much front foot heavy).

The second thing that helped was to really pull in on the handle as you leave the wake. Then, and only then, stuff the handle to your hip/back-pocket. This is something I do habitually at the cable park going off kickers as it makes the landings so much easier.

After I started doing both the above, every one on my FS HS 180s were completely around, landed with great balance, got so much pop I took a couple out into the flats (and since they felt so good I did not freak out when that happened). Nice to ride those away with a good looking TS edging form rather than that bent over butt out looks like crxp style.

It's always nice to just have things "click". A shame it does not happen more often or faster for me. Oh well, sometimes I enjoy crashing behind the boat just as much. I can say that learning to fall correctly is one of the most useful wakeboarding skills. :D

Me thinks that those two items above may also be the key to me getting that last 1/4 rotation on my backroll that I continually come up short on...

Thanks, this is good info. I am progressing but always good to have more tips.

tkemperdc
07-30-2015, 12:10 PM
I"ve landed one w/w heelside and did one successful surface 180. (which was really cool because then i was switch heelside and accidentally hit the wake and did a small half cab! freaked me out.)
I have skateboarded for 20+ years and snowboard here in colorado...so kind of comfy on the board BUT the biggest thing is what to do with my hands!! That is constantly messing me up.

Yes, sounds like you are used to being on a board. Have you wake skated yet, you may have fun with that. We just do it to launch ourselves and crash.

sparkymoffett
07-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes, sounds like you are used to being on a board. Have you wake skated yet, you may have fun with that. We just do it to launch ourselves and crash.

Not yet. But i'd like to. Need to get a board first! get up the same as a wakeboard right? and the boat goes slower?

tkemperdc
07-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Not yet. But i'd like to. Need to get a board first! get up the same as a wakeboard right? and the boat goes slower?

Well we go about 21mph depends on the boat we like to have a clean lip, but yes, about similar distance on the rope to wakeboarding and just like getting up on the wakeboard just no bindings. I bet you would have a great time, knowing to skateboard.

sparkymoffett
07-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Well we go about 21mph depends on the boat we like to have a clean lip, but yes, about similar distance on the rope to wakeboarding and just like getting up on the wakeboard just no bindings. I bet you would have a great time, knowing to skateboard.

I think my biggest thing would be the speed. Definitely don't do arouns 21mph on the skateboard! HA!

tkemperdc
07-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Now I want to get the wakesake out..... adjust the speed per the boat, I know we have gone 18mph but my Star 18 is washy, 19 or better or a crisp lip.

sparkymoffett
07-30-2015, 12:41 PM
Now I want to get the wakesake out..... adjust the speed per the boat, I know we have gone 18mph but my Star 18 is washy, 19 or better or a crisp lip.

very cool. now i just need to get my hands on one..

GoneBoatN
07-30-2015, 12:51 PM

That's a great sign that you are comfortable/natural riding switch. Practice switch a lot - helps make everything else feel easier. Now start doing oli 180's; first behind the boat; then out in the flats, then over 1 wake; keep taking it farther across one wake. Next thing you know you will be doing w2w 180's

Oh, get this:
http://www.thebookdvd.com/dvds/mobile.htm

Walks you through the progression. Will be the best money you ever spent.

clrussell
07-30-2015, 01:07 PM

Ha we wakeskate at 22 😂😂

sparkymoffett
07-30-2015, 01:16 PM
I will have to check that out! Here, I thought I had seen all there is to see on youtube!

sparkymoffett
08-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Well, got a really good w/w HS jump last night. Felt good. Still working on the surface 180's. Going switch just freaks me out.
I can't seem to do the "stand up" at the wake to get the pop. I'm guessing it's just 20+ years of skateboarding that has me olleying off of the top of the wake and sucking my knees up.
Oh well. There's still a bit more of the season left.