PDA

View Full Version : Stanger 237 2010

ap77
04-08-2014, 06:08 PM
A friend wanted my opinion on the following boat - Sanger 237 2010, but I know nothing about them and was hoping someone on the forum could give me the goods so I can pass them along.

I am not sure why he is looking at this particular boat, but I'm looking forward to learning about a Sanger 237 so I can give him an intelligent answer.

Thanks in advance...

mwg
04-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Sanger 237???

MC25
04-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Wood stringers.

Done.

mwg
04-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Wood stringers.

Done.

ENCAPSULATED wooden stringers....

Slinkyredfoot
04-08-2014, 07:06 PM
I have a very good friend of mine who owns an older Sanger, 1997 V drive with a Merc Black Scorpion motor. This boat is very spacious on the inside and must say the layout is great. This boat has a decent slalom wake as well and the engine and everything else has been bullet proof. My buddy is very anal about his boat and it is in pristine condition and I must say I like the comfort and layout of his older boat. Not sure about the quality and layout of their newer boats but his is definitely a nice boat wood stringers or not.

KnoxX2
04-08-2014, 09:55 PM
The company that builds Sanger is out of Ca and is called KalCustom Boats. They have a very poor record of customer service. At one time I had a boat from them and had issues with the new boat and they basically told me too bad. I would look at a Supreme 226it is a great boat and made by Fineline. That is the same company that makes Centurion Boats. Last year Fineline took over the Supreme line from KalCustom and told all the dealers they would not carry any warranty on any boat that was made by KalCustom!!!!!!

Please tell your friend to stay far away from this Company. For the price range he is looking at he can get into a new Supreme. I Know a dealer in Ca that will give him more info about these if he wants and about the story about Sanger. Just PM and I will send you his #

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC25
04-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Okay encapsulated or not, any negligence can lead to water getting in these and rotting. Wood floors, no thanks to that also. Small dealer network. Every sanger owner says "I havent seen any issues with the wood stringers yet, but when I do ill just sell it" lol there are better boats to be had.

Retoxtony
04-09-2014, 12:04 AM
They are supposed to be a great surf boat that has a pretty decent wakeboard wake. I was considering a Sanger at one point and did alot of research on them but i've never actually rode behind one. The "wood" stringers are supposed to be some sort of a composite and they carry a lifetime warranty. They seem like nice boats if you don't want all the bling in a more expensive boat. They have a pretty good following over on Wakeworld and most owners seem to be really happy with them. As for what the others here have said about them having horrible customer service, thats the opposite of what i've always been told about them. Any Sanger owner i've talked to has said quality, warranty, and customer service is top notch.

swatguy
04-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Okay encapsulated or not, any negligence can lead to water getting in these and rotting. Wood floors, no thanks to that also. Small dealer network. Every sanger owner says "I havent seen any issues with the wood stringers yet, but when I do ill just sell it" lol there are better boats to be had.

Spoken like someone who has no idea on the build quality or reputation of Sanger. I would put any year Sanger with it's encapsulated wood next to any year MC and will guarantee you see as much rot in that Sanger as the MC has. The track record of structural rigidity and hull quality from them is flawless. Other component issues .......same can't be said. The attention to detail on anyone of their hulls is on par with any top level company. Wood or not They have that perfected. Find me one v drive Sanger you have found to ever need the stringers replaced from wear and tear of normal use. For every one i bet I could find 6 or more non wood boats that failed. It just doesn't happen with Sanger's builds. The wood argument is null and the most over used comment by those with no idea of Sanger history

My gripes with them are low freeboard on some models, low seat bases, vinyl styling along with merc engines . Just not a fan at all of Merc Inboards. Tgey just seem to hit the shop for minor issues a bit more in my experience. Exhaust manifold gaskets seem to be a key issue on them as couple other seals. The vinyl tends to stretch out over the years and gets loose from the foam ocassionally. I can't remember the year they swapped and changed theyr stitching, but before they did their seat bases had a lot of raised piping and intricacies that left you in search I a smooth spot to sit for hours watching riders. It was somewhere around 2008-2009 if I remember correctly.

Wakeboarding wakes are primo as are the surf wakes. It's a great quality boat with one of the smoothest rides out there. Most their boats have nice deep V's that cut through chop like butter. Tgeir structural design also leaves the boat feeling rock solid in that chop. Other benefit due to the deep v is that the boat doesn't need to be slammed with ballast to get the wakes pumping. If it fits his price and needs I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger. The reason you don't see many is their dealer networks are primarily focused on west coast and not very extensive Not because they are crap.
I also echo Rex Their customer service is known to be in the top tier as well.

I worked for Fineline/Centurion for 6 yrs. The warranty comments by Knox have not been echo'd so I am not sure where he got that info as of recent. Maybe a local dealer,but I can assure you any Sanger boat with a warranty is valid as is a Supreme warranty.

bturner2
04-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Sanger was known for their hydro's and drag boats in the 70s and 80s. They were building with end grain balsa layups and doing complex composite builds while many in the industry were using chopper guns to produce their hulls. The company has a storied history of producing some of the most advanced hull designs in racing and were doing "in mold" graphics when most companies were using tape stripes.

My concern with these boats in my area would be in resale due to name recognition. Their ski boats tend to be as Swat states very low freeboard and in the big waters that I boat this can be a big issue. They also tend to have that west coast flair when it comes to styling and colors which in the mid west can be a bit over the top.

I haven't driven one since the 90s but back then I was very impressed with the built quality in comparison to what was available at the time. By comparison to my 89 Tri Star, my boat looked like it had been built by monkeys. There was a great deal more attention to detail on the Sanger and it did not flex or have rough unfinished edges like my boat.

I couldn't tell you how they are now but a good inspection of the boat if you know what to look for should go a long way in determining build quality.

snobinge
04-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Talk to any serious barefooter...Sanger DXII can not be beat in the footin world!

ap77
04-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the input everyone...very much appreciated!;)

MC25
04-09-2014, 12:33 PM
Spoken like someone who has no idea on the build quality or reputation of Sanger. I would put any year Sanger with it's encapsulated wood next to any year MC and will guarantee you see as much rot in that Sanger as the MC has. The track record of structural rigidity and hull quality from them is flawless. Other component issues .......same can't be said. The attention to detail on anyone of their hulls is on par with any top level company. Wood or not They have that perfected. Find me one v drive Sanger you have found to ever need the stringers replaced from wear and tear of normal use. For every one i bet I could find 6 or more non wood boats that failed. It just doesn't happen with Sanger's builds. The wood argument is null and the most over used comment by those with no idea of Sanger history

My gripes with them are low freeboard on some models, low seat bases, vinyl styling along with merc engines . Just not a fan at all of Merc Inboards. Tgey just seem to hit the shop for minor issues a bit more in my experience. Exhaust manifold gaskets seem to be a key issue on them as couple other seals. The vinyl tends to stretch out over the years and gets loose from the foam ocassionally. I can't remember the year they swapped and changed theyr stitching, but before they did their seat bases had a lot of raised piping and intricacies that left you in search I a smooth spot to sit for hours watching riders. It was somewhere around 2008-2009 if I remember correctly.

Wakeboarding wakes are primo as are the surf wakes. It's a great quality boat with one of the smoothest rides out there. Most their boats have nice deep V's that cut through chop like butter. Tgeir structural design also leaves the boat feeling rock solid in that chop. Other benefit due to the deep v is that the boat doesn't need to be slammed with ballast to get the wakes pumping. If it fits his price and needs I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger. The reason you don't see many is their dealer networks are primarily focused on west coast and not very extensive Not because they are crap.
I also echo Rex Their customer service is known to be in the top tier as well.

I worked for Fineline/Centurion for 6 yrs. The warranty comments by Knox have not been echo'd so I am not sure where he got that info as of recent. Maybe a local dealer,but I can assure you any Sanger boat with a warranty is valid as is a Supreme warranty.

Sometimes I wonder how you ended up with an MC. also, please tell me where I could get a Sanger warrantied in TX? Heck, where could I buy one besides the internet? Tell me about Their reputation on anywhere but the west coast, or lack there of. Also, I did say water could get into the wood via NEGLIGENCE. Never said they naturally rot. Over time, you can't tell me wood floors in a boat WONT rot. I don't care if its magic wood or not. Low freeboard, lack of dealer network, my non wood PREFERENCE, and the merc issues like you said would have me looking elsewhere.

swatguy
04-09-2014, 05:06 PM
I mentioned their dealer network is small. The lack of a dealer network is a huge reason they don't have the name recognition or come up in a lot of boat conversation. However that doesn't make them a crap product because their network doesn't have a huge nationwide scale. Nor does having wood like u mention immediately subject them to rot like you say. I understand that's your feeling and that's fine, but it's not fact that it's inferior product because of it. Does wood rot when exposed 100% Yes. Does it rot regularly in a Sanger boat NO! The process they use in their stringers is nothing like anyone in the industry has every used. It is unique to them in the inboard industry. They also don't have wood floors. They are fiberglass. Obviously if there is no dealer around you can't get warranty work done and you will be left at the end of the service line at another mfg's dealership. You also won't probably find one for sale in your area. It would be something I would consider when buying. All well and good for Sanger as a boat for you, but still doesn't change the fact regarding its build quality or performance. The op is in the northwest where I know they have a presence. He's the one asking about quality and performance characteristics of the boat.

I ended up with an MC because at the time I purchased it( and with over 1000hrs of use) it was and is still the one of best built boats with the top performance that fit my every need. I however just don't make blanket statements about other mfg products that have no factual basis nor do I choose to dismiss the quality of other mfg's that don't have the MC name badged on the side. I simply point out the pros and cons of each by facts and years industry experience for those with legitimate questions. Not everyone needs or wants an MC. They would be just as satisfied with a competitor in some cases. Hence the reason there are so many different choices. That is for them to choose. I just put the facts on the table. Sometimes those bad points/cons fall on MC and I am not afraid to say it. Sometimes the facts help another company stand out. It is what it is .......I just don't shuv brand loyalty down people's throats when they ask legitimate questions about other mfg's products. There is no doubt in my mind if you were to stack any comparable MC in the 2010 lineup to that Sanger 237 that you wouldn't immediately see the attention to detail around the interior and the step up of overall bling, gadgetry, vinyl quality, stereo components, and power plant. That still doesn't change the fact Sanger is a quality, very well built boat with above average performance and a great rough water ride.

swatguy
04-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Just in case the ops buddy is still interested. Sanger has gone to a national price point and picked up indmar as of 2013 so the Merc argument is solved. I believe now that means no one is using Merc inboard

KnoxX2
04-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Their customer service is known to be in the top tier as well.

The info I got did come from a dealer and it was a Fineline dealer. It was only to say that they would not cover any warranty on a Supreme from before they took over the line. It had nothing to do with Sanger other than he was alluding to Fineline not trusting KalKustom's quality. Now understand this did not come from Fineline it just came from one of their dealers. As far as their customer service is concerned my post was about KalKustom who I thought built Sanger. However I stand corrected. They distributed the Sanger brand and was not a builder. I am sorry for making this error and I will do more research before I post next time. One thing I will say about Fineline is that they build an very good boat. I was in Ca 2 months ago and took their factory tour. I saw both lines and I will say I was impressed. Rick Lee is the owner and CEO of Fineline and has been around a long time. Both of their lines are well known on the west cost.

KnoxX2
04-10-2014, 12:36 AM
I mentioned their dealer network is small. The lack of a dealer network is a huge reason they don't have the name recognition or come up in a lot of boat conversation. However that doesn't make them a crap product because their network doesn't have a huge nationwide scale. Nor does having wood like u mention immediately subject them to rot like you say. I understand that's your feeling and that's fine, but it's not fact that it's inferior product because of it. Does wood rot when exposed 100% Yes. Does it rot regularly in a Sanger boat NO! The process they use in their stringers is nothing like anyone in the industry has every used. It is unique to them in the inboard industry. They also don't have wood floors. They are fiberglass. Obviously if there is no dealer around you can't get warranty work done and you will be left at the end of the service line at another mfg's dealership. You also won't probably find one for sale in your area. It would be something I would consider when buying. All well and good for Sanger as a boat for you, but still doesn't change the fact regarding its build quality or performance. The op is in the northwest where I know they have a presence. He's the one asking about quality and performance characteristics of the boat.

I ended up with an MC because at the time I purchased it( and with over 1000hrs of use) it was and is still the one of best built boats with the top performance that fit my every need. I however just don't make blanket statements about other mfg products that have no factual basis nor do I choose to dismiss the quality of other mfg's that don't have the MC name badged on the side. I simply point out the pros and cons of each by facts and years industry experience for those with legitimate questions. Not everyone needs or wants an MC. They would be just as satisfied with a competitor in some cases. Hence the reason there are so many different choices. That is for them to choose. I just put the facts on the table. Sometimes those bad points/cons fall on MC and I am not afraid to say it. Sometimes the facts help another company stand out. It is what it is .......I just don't shuv brand loyalty down people's throats when they ask legitimate questions about other mfg's products. There is no doubt in my mind if you were to stack any comparable MC in the 2010 lineup to that Sanger 237 that you wouldn't immediately see the attention to detail around the interior and the step up of overall bling, gadgetry, vinyl quality, stereo components, and power plant. That still doesn't change the fact Sanger is a quality, very well built boat with above average performance and a great rough water ride.

You make some very good points and I think some people tend to forget that just because it is mot an MC does not mean that its not a good product. Everyone has some sort of brand loyalty to one manufacturer or another. Best thing anyone can do is take and objective look at all brands and see for themselves. Would I buy a Sanger.... not at this time in my life. However if you would have asked me that question 12 years ago I would have said yes. The reason is everyone has different situations and not everyone can afford a boat from MC, Malibu or Nau. Listen I love MC just remember we don't know the OP's friend situation. If anyone on here has a chance they should visit as many factory's and take their tours.

sand2snow22
04-10-2014, 01:32 AM
ap, where are you and your friend at in the NW?

ap77
04-10-2014, 01:45 AM
His summer place is in Kelowna.

sand2snow22
04-10-2014, 02:10 AM
Does he live near Vancouver?

swatguy
04-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Yea the Fineline/Kal Kustom debacle is a tough cookie to decipher. They've gone back and forth and I for one am glad Fineline finally took over. Supreme will benefit a ton. Kal's reputation wasn't that great. Rick lee and his company have treated me very well and I have never had a disappointed customer. He's a very value oriented guy and it translates down the line. He was never to busy to pick up the phone for a customer or employee. Les Clark who headed up the east cost side of Centurion falls in that same tier. Two great guys.

Kelowna is a beautiful place, love the summers there