PDA

View Full Version : X15 Pros and Cons

oz5ks
04-07-2014, 06:22 PM
I have found a 2009 X15 for sale with less than 100 hours for a great price. My family, wife (bad knees and needs a small/low wake for skiing) and three kids love the water and grew up on H2O skis. About four yrs ago, we started boarding and have surfed one time behind a moomba. This X15 has almost every option available including Internal Hull Ballast System plus Fat Sacks, Board Tower, huge Stereo System with 2 amps, Duel Cruise Control, Perfect Pass and GPS, Heated Seats and matching Mastercraft dual axle trailer and boat cover in excellent shape. It also has the MCX 350 MPI.

Now for the question - What are the Pros and Cons of the X15 (we currently ski behind a Larson 206LXI - for sale if we buy the Mastercraft) in a multipurpose role?

Can it be setup to have a small wake for skiing at 22-24 mph?

Thxs for your input in advance!

Larry

scott023
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
I can't comment on the ski speed portion, but the 15 is good for everything. It's not great at any one, but good for surf and wakeboard. Many say it is the best all around boat in the MC lineup. Post up some pics,.chalk of us love to see whats out there.

KnoxX2
04-07-2014, 06:42 PM
That boat is made for wakeboarding. You will not get a small wake out of any V drive wake boat. It just not what it was designed to do. However you can knock the wake down if the boat has an attitude adjustment plate IE center trim tab. This X25 should come with it if it's loaded. My guess is you will get about the same bump skiing as you do on your Larson.
Now as far as the X15 pros are it will do everything very well. Also it will be much safer being an inboard for your family. Great surf boat amazing wakeboard boat and just an all around outstanding family boat. You would be very happy with the X15 as far as quality over your current boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oz5ks
04-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Here are a few pics of the craft.

oz5ks
04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
It does not have the center trim tab. you have any idea of what the cost would be to add the center trim tab?

potsie
04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
great boat family fun at its best, not sure about the skiing thing as not so much of that going on but add a little ballast and its family fun at its best

MC25
04-07-2014, 09:25 PM
Double what scott said. Not really great at anything. But is very capable. Surf wake sucked, but when slammed for wakeboarding it was pretty good. Huge boat, have had 14 in our 15 and it wasnt over done.

tommydbouy
04-07-2014, 09:32 PM
We bought our x15 early last year and love it. We went from a deep v I/O. The ski wake was smaller than our I/o at 30mph with the A plate at 65%. At 23 it will be bigger than 30 but still very manageable for a beginner. The Attitude plate is about $1800 installed by a dealer.

The wakeboard wake will be much better as well. You can vary the size quite a bit with the factory hard tanks.

Some people complain it's not a great surf boat but my wife and I both learned to surf without the rope. There are plenty of posts on tt on how to make the surf wake better.

The cruise control makes driving for all the different sports way easier.

Get it. You won't regret it.

Justin D.
04-07-2014, 10:39 PM
From my personal experience, the center trim tab is necessary for slalom skiing on the X-15. It does a great job of making the wake softer and more manageable. For reference, this is the wake @ +/-28 MPH and 70% trim tab.

blackhawk
04-07-2014, 10:41 PM
I just got my 2006 X15 in September. I was wakeboarding behind an I/O 19.5 foot boat. When I wakeboarded behind the X15, without ballast, the wake was not overwhelming. You will be fine with the X15 wake and no ballast. I also do not have a plate. If you buy the boat, use it for a while before you add a plate. Might find out that you don't need it for your riding.

onewheat
04-07-2014, 11:15 PM
We regularly surfed both sides on our X-15 with only factory ballast and people - never used a fat sack. It wasn't huge like a sacked out boat, but it was plenty for us.

tcmercil
04-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Well I too am a new X15 owner.... after having my X1 for the past 7 years I too was looking for something a bit bigger.... So far I am amazed by the space. I loved my X1 for the wakeboarding wake - loading with around 2100 lbs - and well 1200 for surfing and loved it.... Well it's no x30 - or enzo - but still plenty of fun.... so exciting to get the x15 out and get that dialed in as well. Everyone has an opinion and well as long as you're having fun, family is having fun - then that is all that matters...

GoneBoatN
04-08-2014, 10:49 AM
...Can it be setup to have a small wake for skiing at 22-24 mph?

I have the same boat basically. A 2010 with the center tab however.

For wakeboarding: I had a friend out in mine yesterday. Stock ballast but a Integrated Bow Sac (fat sac) under the bow seats. He thew several inverts (back rolls and tantrums) and quite a few spins without issues. I've seen pics of x-15 wakes on this BB where they added additional ballast and the wake looks much bigger than I would ever need...

For surfing: I don't surf. But again I've seen pics of X-15s wakes on this BB that were set up for surfing and looked pretty decent. Yep, no X-25, X-30 but then again you are not paying that price either.

For skiing: I've only had one skier (single ski) behind my boat. He has an I/O so he thought the X-15 wake was not that bad. Still, looking at wakes from true ski boats on this web site, it's quite a bump to go over. Not a boat in the world that is going to give you the best of all.

What the X-15 does best is offer you a lot of storage space, a nice layout for quite a few people in the interior, a 22` boat that is easy to handle and maybe with a shoe horn fit in a tight garage at a decent price.

GoneBoatN
04-08-2014, 11:13 AM
A pic from yesterday with stock ballast + IBS fat sac wake @ 25MPH:

MC25
04-08-2014, 11:33 AM
heres our wake with stock full, 400s in the back compartments and the ins filled up front. 22.5 mph.

surf wake is stock port, 2 400s on surf side and probably 10 people.