PDA

View Full Version : Need Maintenance Help 93 Prostar

1993bluestarsnstripes
04-07-2014, 06:44 AM
I bought a 93 prostar that hasn't been started in 2 years. I need advice on what I should check out B-4 I take it on its maiden voyage. After I change the oil and summerize it, What else would be smart? I appreciate your help!

mgs96ps
04-07-2014, 06:50 AM
I would change or at least check the impeller and thermostat.

bturner2
04-07-2014, 07:58 AM
What have you done so far? Have you started it?

The basics would be....
Check condition of all hoses ,clamps, belts and fittings. Anything that can allow water in the boat should be double checked for condition and to make sure it's water tight.
Check operation of steering from the steering wheel to the rudder.
Check all electrical connections for condition (frayed, loose wires, corrosion).
Check operation of blower and bilge pump(s).
Replace fuel filter.
While in the water but still at the dock ensure the boat will change from forward, neutral and reverse smoothly without noise.
I personally would have drained the fuel tank and put fresh gas in. If you haven't I'd take several fuel filters and a container to catch the fuel if you have to change the filter in the boat. Avoid this if possible as the chance for a disaster grows when dealing with gas.
Make sure you have all required safety gear and be prepared for an inspection. Have all state required safety gear and documentation. Spring is when the local authorities like to fleece the boating public in the name of safety. After saying that I will admit that some people are really stupid and go out without any basic equipment.
If the local authorities offer a safety check, take it. It will verify the condition of your boat and maybe pick up something you missed before you have trouble or get a ticket.

Other suggestions for the first trip would be.....
If possible see if a friend that has a boat will go out with his boat as a chase boat. This would guarantee you a tow in and support in case something goes sideways.
Pick a smaller lake on a low traffic, sunny, calm day for the test run. No need to battle wind, wave and boat traffic if you don't have to.
Make sure someone knows where you plan to be and when you plan to be back in case you run into trouble.
Take at least a cell phone and have all your insurance and towing information on the boat in case you help.
Take as many spare parts and tools as you think you may possibly need, then find some that you don't think you may need and take them too.

1993bluestarsnstripes
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Great advice guys. Anyone else have anything to add? Thank so much!

prostar205er
04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
An obvious one, but make sure your battery is good. And since you are out of the routine, don't forget to put in your plug. ;)

Double D
04-07-2014, 02:01 PM
I bought a 93 prostar that hasn't been started in 2 years. I need advice on what I should check out B-4 I take it on its maiden voyage. After I change the oil and summerize it, What else would be smart? I appreciate your help!

How about some pictures and a background story on why it sat for 2 years? We LOVE pictures! :rolleyes:

GKinTN
04-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Lots of great advice already here! That said I own a very similar boat and here's are a couple things I thought of.

I'd pull the rear floor panel and take a good look at the steering components. I bought a 1991 Prostar 190 last fall that was very clean and had very little corrosion anywhere. That said, the steering cable L bracket was rusted to about 1/2 it's original thickness down near the elbow of the L. The L bracket would flex quite a bit. The paint had somehow eroded and the rust was quite bad on this part, surprising considering the boat and trailer were so clean otherwise. I had a member of this forum CNC me a new L bracket out of aluminum which is also a little thicker than the original steel one ever was. I'm good to go now, and out of a bunch of little restorations projects I've done on my boat this was a safety concern for sure.

Another oddity I found on my boat were both transmission lines had cracked brass fittings. They didn't leak but the brass fittings were cracked so badly it was only a matter of time a hose might simply break loose. These lines run the transmission fluid over to the transmission cooler (on the water pickup hose) and back to the transmission. A break in the line or a hose simply falling off on one end would not be good if you were driving it... Though the stress cracks may have been from a tech over tightening them at some point, they could have been over tightened at the factory and that, plus years of heat and cold cycling could have caused the issue. Who knows, but the hoses were fairly affordable to replace.

I also agree with the prior post of installing a new impeller.