PDA

View Full Version : Bow filler cusion?

Hammer
04-05-2014, 11:50 PM
How are these done? Is the base separate from the cushion? On the X45 the channel goes under the front seat several inches, does the panel go all the way, or just stop? Is it curved at the front to follow the cushion, or straight across? I'm making the base to take to the upholstery shop. Was just going to wing it, but why reinvent the wheel. :cool:

MattsCraft
04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
It is a totally separate base that sits in the channel on the gel coat. The cushion then sits on the base. The base is the same hard plastic as the other seat bases, just 2 pieces.

davidstan
04-06-2014, 09:00 AM
I went the easy route and got one from the dealer but expensive. Mine is 2 piece and the board is 3/4 in thick and fits on a ledge underneath the other cushions. Worth it's weight in gold for comfort in the bow.

Hammer
04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Anyone have pictures? Especially the 45. Maybe even the board not installed would be great.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

scott023
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
It is rounded at the front and goes under the seat at the front as well. I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

Hammer
04-06-2014, 11:36 AM
It is rounded at the front and goes under the seat at the front as well. I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

I appreciate that. But going to the upholstery shop in the morning. I will see if I can wing it. The problem is I have the 3/4 inch Starboard and it does not fit under the front cushion. It actually holds the front two seats up slightly also. Was considering routing a groove around the outside to make it 1/2 inch around the edges. Also does the curve at the front follow the contour of the seat cushion or is it just rounded. Does the cushion snap down or is it just tension fit? So many questions so little time.

scott023
04-06-2014, 11:54 AM
I appreciate that. But going to the upholstery shop in the morning. I will see if I can wing it. The problem is I have the 3/4 inch Starboard and it does not fit under the front cushion. It actually holds the front two seats up slightly also. Was considering routing a groove around the outside to make it 1/2 inch around the edges. Also does the curve at the front follow the contour of the seat cushion or is it just rounded. Does the cushion snap down or is it just tension fit? So many questions so little time.

Tension fit, squeeze in between the seats. I'm not near the boat today, or I'd grab one right away. The curve at the front is the exact same shape as the seats around. It is a snug for, needs to be pushed down and forward

bhanson
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Not "OEM", but when upholstery shop built my bowfiller for 2001 X30 they made it all one peice. Plastic base fits in the groove, they mounted the foam/vinyl to a smaller piece of plastic, then bolted the two together. Very sturdy, and one piece is easy to stow when not in use.

One piece, two pieces, probably personal preference. Would definitely route the Starboard to fit under the cushions. Have never seen a snap-in cushion in bowfiller, just size it nice and tight and it will not move around.

davidstan
04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/vu4y2u5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/e5ahypu7.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/etemaza5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/jupyty8u.jpg

A few views hope it helps. OEM part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

501s
04-06-2014, 01:30 PM
On my new X30 the bow filler is 2 separate pieces as well. The design works fine but I always wondered why it wasn't just a single filler cushion like above. I think I'd prefer the single design especially for storage.

scott023
04-06-2014, 02:07 PM
That's not out of a 45 though. Shape is completely different.

There is an advantage to having two pieces, you have more flexibility storing the pieces when not in use. Just my opinion.

501s
04-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Here are the reasons I don't love the 2 piece design:

The actual cushion feels kind of cheap. It's very light.
There is a chance that the cushion can blow away on the highway. It's very light.
The white plastic piece scratches the gel coat easily.
The cushion can move around while in place
There are two pieces to store instead of one

If I was having one made, it would be a one piece no question. My friend has a Moomba with one and I much prefer it.

davidstan
04-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Mine is attached with Velcro but could have used 3m marine adhesive to make it one piece. Velcro allows me a little more option for cleaning. Boat is dirty cause we are having our pollen season and I wait till that is over so excuse the grime.

scott023
04-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Here are the reasons I don't love the 2 piece design:

The actual cushion feels kind of cheap. It's very light.
There is a chance that the cushion can blow away on the highway. It's very light.
The white plastic piece scratches the gel coat easily.
The cushion can move around while in place
There are two pieces to store instead of one

If I was having one made, it would be a one piece no question. My friend has a Moomba with one and I much prefer it.

Those are all great points Levi. Although my cushion doesn't feel cheap, and I put the cushion under the seats when traveling. In our boat, it would be much harder to get the cushion and plastic board under any of the seats if it were one piece.

Hammer
04-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Here is what I have so far. I did not cut the front off yet. Should I just cut on the line I have drawn?

scott023
04-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Here is what I have so far. I did not cut the front off yet. Should I just cut on the line I have drawn?

That looks almost exactly right Hammer. I think you'd be safe to roll with that.