PDA

View Full Version : Spongex Buoys

bret
04-04-2014, 06:06 AM
If you're looking for Spongex buoys for boat guides, look at some fisherman supply houses, they are much cheaper than what our "general" water sports suppliers have. They are usually 5 x 11 instead of 6 x 14 but are only $6.99 to $7.50, instead of $12.

ProStar Slalom
04-04-2014, 07:46 AM
Do you have a link or website? I've got a course that will need some work later this summer. Thanks.

BrianM
04-04-2014, 08:03 AM
We have found Polyform buoys to hold up the best in the sun and our muddy water.

Www.skiertoskier.com

bret
04-04-2014, 08:56 AM
We are on a COE lake so it's public, we've been fortunate enough that "people are learning" what the slalom course is and our boat guides use 3' of chain: 1 foot in the guide, 2 foot below to the bungee, so anything AIR wise would not hold up for us. The Polyform have been holding up well with the softer attachment point on the bottom better than the solid ones from Overtons or just referring to the color retention throughout the year?

http://www.reddenmarine.com/spongex-bn-1-marker-buoy-6-x-14-x-1-yellow.html

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=1350

http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/spongex-bn1-float-green-orange-red-white-yell.html

ProStar Slalom
04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Great; thanks!

Brian, will certainly use skier-to-skier as well, but what looks to be about 1/2 price for boat guides is hard to beat!

bret
04-04-2014, 10:17 AM
4 buoys @ $61.97 = $15.49 for boat guides, the skier BALLS are $6.47.

I bought 8 spongex from Seattle Marine for $7.06 ea.

jwroblew
04-04-2014, 11:04 AM
What are you going to do with 8, don't you need 12 for boat guides?

bret
04-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Have 6 left over from last year....all are present on the course now but we go through them being on a public lake.

east tx skier
04-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Outstanding! You just saved our club a nice pile of money! Thanks!

BrianM
04-04-2014, 12:23 PM
In our lake we just found that the Spongex do not work as well for us. They more readily collect slime and waterlog. We have been using the specific Polyform boat guides but are now changing over to the standard Polyform round buoy for boat guides.

We used to use buoys from Overtons but a handfull of years back those changed and they did not hold up well at all. We found they would fade horribly in just a matter of weeks and had some other durability issues with them.

The Polyform buoys hold their color really well, seem to resist lake slime and have great over all construction and build.

jwroblew
04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
we have had our boat guides so long I don't even know who made them, i think they were around $15 a piece. They're the inflatable kind. We pull them every fall, acid wash them and paint with yellow Krylon Plastic paint, they look brand new and I can do all 12 with two cans of paint. I may try plasti dip next fall.

bret
04-04-2014, 08:21 PM
I think you have a private lake in Mandeville? I used to know a girl who was an engineer for Shell who skied there, we used to talk about skiing and her club in Mandeville.

With our course on a public lake and the rest of the problems associated with that, we have to have something tough for the boat guides, hence the chain under the guide for the occasional "wally" who brings the stern drive through the course; drives over a third of the boat guides from the skier pulling the stern out of position. Then if he's a really bad driver, he has to take his boat to the shop and ***** about his prop damage from the chain. Then all the techs at the shops (who know all of us) tell them that their boat is NOT meant to go through a slalom course and if we are skiing and they ask nice, "those guys would be more than happy to pull you through there since they have about $1500 dollars in that course".

If ours survive the winter, we usually repaint as well, renew what we need to, and then purchase spares for the year.

east tx skier
04-04-2014, 09:11 PM
With our course on a public lake and the rest of the problems associated with that, we have to have something tough for the boat guides, hence the chain under the guide for the occasional "wally" who brings the stern drive through the course; drives over a third of the boat guides from the skier pulling the stern out of position. Then if he's a really bad driver, he has to take his boat to the shop and ***** about his prop damage from the chain. Then all the techs at the shops (who know all of us) tell them that their boat is NOT meant to go through a slalom course and if we are skiing and they ask nice, "those guys would be more than happy to pull you through there since they have about $1500 dollars in that course".

If ours survive the winter, we usually repaint as well, renew what we need to, and then purchase spares for the year.

This. We usually go through a set of buoys a year, especially if it's inflatable. Just a 100% depreciable club asset.

BrianM
04-05-2014, 08:53 AM
I think you have a private lake in Mandeville? I used to know a girl who was an engineer for Shell who skied there, we used to talk about skiing and her club in Mandeville.

I ski at the private site in Slidell right on the side of I-12.