PDA

View Full Version : Bad smell

davidstan
04-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Back from bringing her out of storage I smell an almost throw up type smell coming from bilge. 2 questions really, what could it be if not mechanic throw up? And how best to remove a smell like that. Boat runs fine and there is probably a half gallon of liquid through out bilge area which was there before they winterized. Thanks!

Blmeanie
04-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Back from bringing her out of storage I smell an almost throw up type smell coming from bilge. 2 questions really, what could it be if not mechanic throw up? And how best to remove a smell like that. Boat runs fine and there is probably a half gallon of liquid through out bilge area which was there before they winterized. Thanks!

First thing that came to mind was maybe some little critter died somewhere ?

Hammer
04-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Rinse it out good and dump some simple green in there and slosh it around. Should be good to go.

bturner2
04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm going with critter. As in dead critter.

skitilldark
04-03-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm going with critter. As in dead critter.

Yeah I agree. I had that smell. Dead rat in the rear sub housing.

JohnE
04-03-2014, 12:50 PM
Another vote for dead critter. I'd try to find it.

Waterskibum
04-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Just curious; but why did you not drain the bilge and clean it out before storing for the Winter? Water or liquid sitting stagnant for that long in the bilge would probably smell bad and possibly develop into mold or mildew after some time, especially in a sealed area.

CC2MC
04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm doubting that liquid as there before winterization as a typical part of the winterization process is to remove the plug. My vote is a dead critter as well. I would keep everything open so it can air out very good in addition to putting a cleaning agent and sloshing it around. Good luck with that one!

TayMC197
04-03-2014, 01:24 PM
beers left in the floor cooler make for a great spring suprise....

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Another vote for dead critter. I'd try to find it.

You definitely need to find a dead critter. Smell won't go away till it does. Then wash and air.

H2ORidr
04-03-2014, 02:33 PM
You definitely need to find a dead critter. Smell won't go away till it does. Then wash and air.

The stink goes away eventually. Every fall my mom would have a mouse die in her kitchen wall. The stink was unbelievable for a while but it would go away after a week or so. At peak it could gag a maggot. When my brother tore that wall open a few years ago as part of a remodel he found the skeletons of about 30+ mice. :shocked:

davidstan
04-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Initially i looked but will looked thourghly. I bet yall are correct! Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimN
04-03-2014, 03:49 PM

That's called 'Mechanic's Helper' and it keeps boat owners from working on their own boats.

Comes in 6-packs, 12-packs, cases of 24, quarter barrels and half barrels.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-03-2014, 04:05 PM
That's called 'Mechanic's Helper' and it keeps boat owners from working on their own boats.

Comes in 6-packs, 12-packs, cases of 24, quarter barrels and half barrels.

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

SunCoast 83
04-10-2014, 11:34 PM

Are you suggesting your mechanic barffed in the bilge before returning the boat? Air it out with some cleaner and then find a new mechanic. :D

davidstan
04-13-2014, 08:10 AM
No critters. The sour smell was that of the anti freeze used by the local shop here. Hose was not tightened and AF was leaked in bilge and stunk to high heaven. They use a kind of AF that will sour I guess to save money. Anyway they came out and cleaned bilge and a bunch of oil spots they left on my swim platform as if it was a NASCAR pit area. Will I use these guys again? Ha.

scott023
04-13-2014, 09:07 AM
No critters. The sour smell was that of the anti freeze used by the local shop here. Hose was not tightened and AF was leaked in bilge and stunk to high heaven. They use a kind of AF that will sour I guess to save money. Anyway they came out and cleaned bilge and a bunch of oil spots they left on my swim platform as if it was a NASCAR pit area. Will I use these guys again? Ha.

Good to hear you've got the issue fixed. Wonder what kind of af they used that will sour?