PDA

View Full Version : "Crowdboating": How much would you charge to rent your MC?

JMLVMI
04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
We're moving more and more into this sharing/crowdfunding economy...this site allows you to rent your boat out. What would you charge?

https://boatbound.co/

scott023
04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
I personally couldn't do it... most people don't show much respect for things that aren't theirs. I have seen 45s being rented for 1000/day up here though. Seems ridiculous.

soccr10star
04-01-2014, 03:19 PM
I don't think I could rent mine out for someone else to take. But for the right price I might include myself as a driver and rent it that way.

Doesn't look like they have too many people signed up yet.

Sodar
04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd never rent mine out, but this is a great way to rent a boat for other uses. I'd love to be able to travel and check out other places by water, but I hate using the cheesy rental boats that scream "I'm a rental!"

Double D
04-01-2014, 03:21 PM
I would not do it, ever. Only people I know and I have seen operate boats, will ever get use of mine. And that has never happened yet...

JamesL
04-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Agreed, to much risk involved. Maybe if I was captain and just towed them around but people would destroy it like they do rental cars

hondaprlud
04-01-2014, 03:35 PM

chevyluv
04-01-2014, 03:39 PM
i have a hard enough time letting people i know come out with me haha

rodltg2
04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
I saw another company doing the same thing at the boat show " get my boat". I don't see this taking off

TxsRiverRat
04-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Kyle is the only one I allow to use my boat without me

Sydney Skier
04-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Agreed, to much risk involved. Maybe if I was captain and just towed them around but people would destroy it like they do rental cars

This is exactly how I used to lease my superkarts. I did all the prep and maintenance. I towed it to the track and spannered all weekend. I had a clause in a small contract that was signed by the leasee before they even entered that any and all damages would incur costs accepted by you on the day. To which everyone agreed to. Lease was $1500 a race meeting + $2000 bond which if the kart was in the same condition at the end of the weeked as it was at the start they would get the whole bond back.

Its a good idea with leasing your boat. But why not just have a ski school setup. people want to come and rent your boat? Great Its $250 p/h comes with a driver and a full tank of fuel and all the safety and ski gear. May aswell try and get some money back out of the thing to cover your running cost for the day.

curver900
04-01-2014, 04:47 PM
hmmmm 4-500 bills a day? and you could rent it out for 10 weeks... I could just buy a new boat after 2 years... Deposit for damage would have to be $3k, but not sure what the cut is to the company, probably $200/day, then not really worth it...

Besides when would I get to use my boat? I guess I would need another one.. :D

IF it was a money maker the manufacturers would be doing it already....

Harley does it with their motorcycles, but I don't think they make all that much on it, and you have to be a HOG member to rent, mc license, insurance, etc...

Rossterman
04-01-2014, 05:10 PM
In California there seems to be some regular Craigslist posts offering early 2000 x-stars, maristars, etc for rent at $400/hr. I would never consider doing this as hard enough for me to keep dock rash and scratches off it and i have had a few white knuckle moments myself! I shudder to see what it would look like after a day of renters behind the wheel!

atihanyi
04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
You couldn't pay me enough !

mikeg205
04-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Most people to dumb to drive a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orbeamlb
04-01-2014, 09:09 PM
You couldn't pay me enough !

Ditto. I would only trust my brother with my MC

OHIOPRO205
04-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Couldn't do it. 99.9% of people wouldn't take care of it like I do.

MC25
04-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I worked for a rental company last summer that rented out the crappiest boats off all time. Proof of why I would NEVER do this.

MC25
04-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Another thing I see a lot is shared ownership. If you can't afford to own your boat, get a cheaper one.

BudmanV24
04-01-2014, 09:34 PM
I worked for a rental company last summer that rented out the crappiest boats off all time. Proof of why I would NEVER do this.

Ive seen worse...

BudmanV24
04-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Not sure if anyone mentioned this but most ppl that rent ski/wakeboard boats out around here include a driver. Be it craigslist or other.

scott023
04-01-2014, 09:36 PM

Holy lick. They drive it into the parking lot and put it beside the trailer???:confused:

atihanyi
04-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Ditto. I would only trust my brother with my MC

Wouldn't trust my brother . The only guys I would let use my boat are the ones I ski with:cool:

Rossterman
04-01-2014, 10:13 PM

That reminded me of my first tournament boat rental on lake Shasta in 2008. Was interested in buying a m/c or malibu so though "why not rent one while at the lake and see how well I liked it?"

Boat was a 2006 model, didn't have a single square inch that wasn't scratched or blemished. Upholstry was stained, carpet thrashed. Ran OK but had driveline vibration. When returning, the rental guy said that they were getting ready to sell them at the end of the season and they could give me a "killer deal". I remember chuckling to myself and thinking they couldn't discount the price enough to take that POS off their hands.

And that's how people take care of rental boats!

ap77
04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't rent out our boat...NEVER!

MC25
04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Holy lick. They drive it into the parking lot and put it beside the trailer???:confused:

No lie, you LITERALLY described what happened.

scott023
04-01-2014, 10:21 PM
No lie, you LITERALLY described what happened.

No other way to explain that kind of damage.

MC25
04-01-2014, 10:24 PM
No other way to explain that kind of damage.

Well it worked like this.

"hey this is our first time driving a boat, its just like driving a car though right?"

"my response would always be "yep! good luck!" lol

these types would usually involve me swimming 50 yards out to the people that had no earthly idea how to put it on a trailer or get remotely close. Needless to say I quit far before the season was over. lol

sand2snow22
04-01-2014, 11:55 PM
IMO, not a good idea. Just bought a boat today, in the owners manual bag I found a 5-6 page lease. There is a reason the seller had to come out of pocket $16k to pay off the boat/trailer and I made sure I was at the bank when seller did this to collect the titles…

Another outfit in town rents boats, wave runners, snowmobiles, etc. Pulled one of their boats off the rocks last year. Great way to ruin a bachelor party. Renters and the owner of the outfit had no idea who had insurance. Nightmare...

nickespi
04-02-2014, 12:17 AM
I have chartered my boat before. I drove and taught the folks how to wakeboard and surf. I charged $300 for the day on a weekday. It got me out on the water, I got to meet some new people, and the boat would have been sitting at the house otherwise. It was an easy $300. Paid for gas for my weekend.

Retoxtony
04-02-2014, 12:33 AM
I've seen a ad here in Alberta to rent a 2008 Malibu VLX for $2500 a week. For some people it probably makes alot sense to rent one but i could never rent out a boat of mine. I just have visions of some half loaded kids beaching my boat on rocks or hammering it into the docks.

I've always wondered do the owners of these boats take them out and show the renters how to launch them, and drive them properly? I just cant imagine handing the keys to a $45000 boat to some people who have never driven one before.

Dylan
04-02-2014, 10:13 AM
That reminded me of my first tournament boat rental on lake Shasta in 2008. Was interested in buying a m/c or malibu so though "why not rent one while at the lake and see how well I liked it?"

Boat was a 2006 model, didn't have a single square inch that wasn't scratched or blemished. Upholstry was stained, carpet thrashed. Ran OK but had driveline vibration. When returning, the rental guy said that they were getting ready to sell them at the end of the season and they could give me a "killer deal". I remember chuckling to myself and thinking they couldn't discount the price enough to take that POS off their hands.

And that's how people take care of rental boats!

Around 1996 I was at Shasta on a houseboat, and remember those rental nautiques. Someone was running it at night wide open and skipped right up the side of an island. I'll never forget the sound of that motor screaming!

pmkkdx
04-02-2014, 11:02 AM
I have seen a number of ads for boat rentals but usually they only offer with a driver & observer ... $400 half day, $600-700 full day plus gas. I would never rent my boat out without me onboard as the driver and my time isn't cheap :D

plus you would need to get some pretty serious insurance mainly due to liability with all the lawsuit happy people these days!

craig3972
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
In Canada, in the past few years they passed a law that all pleasure boat operators pass a written test to obtain a licence to operate a boat or personal watercraft. However if you would like to rent a boat or personal watercraft you do not require any form of certification to operate it.
I believe this was done to continue to allow people to run thier boat/watercraft rental busineses, but effectively it hasn't resolved the problem of the worst boat operators on the water - people who dont have money invested in a boat and little experience operating them.

I would rent my boat out to anyone who would pay the rental fee of a new boat!

MC25
04-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Id do it with a 50k non refundable deposit.

orbeamlb
04-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Wouldn't trust my brother . The only guys I would let use my boat are the ones I ski with:cool:

My brother is as OCD as I am hence the high level of trust in my case. The boat will come back as good as or better than when he borrowed it.

strad
04-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Nope. Would not ever rent anything I own other than real property. I just don't see it being worth the risk and hassle. Besides, the boat is the coolest thing I own (although by far not the most valuable). I just don't see risking it.

mikeg205
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Crowdboating will revoke your MCOCD status.. Any questions?? :D

atihanyi
04-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Crowdboating will revoke your MCOCD status.. Any questions?? :D

AMEN !

jgraham37128
04-02-2014, 08:32 PM
My brother is as OCD as I am hence the high level of trust in my case. The boat will come back as good as or better than when he borrowed it.

Now that's a good brother!

Towboatcapt
04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Most people to dumb to drive a boat

You should see people on the IL river drive... It gets bad.

mikeg205
04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
You should see people on the IL river drive... It gets bad.

Hey now ;) :D :D

MC25
04-02-2014, 09:31 PM
You guys should see texans drive on roads! You'd be afraid to boat! lol

Towboatcapt
04-02-2014, 10:58 PM
You guys should see texans drive on roads! You'd be afraid to boat! lol

I'll find out on Monday/Tuesday driving from Denver to Austin and back.
What's hwy speed limits in TX?

jovoth
04-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Not a chance!!!

MC25
04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
I'll find out on Monday/Tuesday driving from Denver to Austin and back.
What's hwy speed limits in TX?

depends, 70/75

onewheat
04-03-2014, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't even entertain the thought - not even with me driving all day.

AlbertaSurfer
04-03-2014, 01:03 AM
I'd rent mine for $450 a day, no problem. Granted, mine is older than many of the people who responded, but I'd let people take it out. Break it, buy it. It's not a trophy, if I can make moola on the days I'm working, why not? If there was at all a market in my area, I'd rent mine full time and buy the boat I really want. People can bang this one up on rocks all day if I make money from it, it all about your small print.

... The boat I want... It's not MasterCraft, so don't ask...

mikeg205
04-03-2014, 07:48 AM
I'd rent mine for $450 a day, no problem. Granted, mine is older than many of the people who responded, but I'd let people take it out. Break it, buy it. It's not a trophy, if I can make moola on the days I'm working, why not? If there was at all a market in my area, I'd rent mine full time and buy the boat I really want. People can bang this one up on rocks all day if I make money from it, it all about your small print.

... The boat I want... It's not MasterCraft, so don't ask...

81 Searay ... ;) :D

AlbertaSurfer
04-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Shhh! I need there to be some available!

TxsRiverRat
04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
81 Searay ... ;) :D

best (and fastest) boat ever built - just ask my dad.

pmkkdx
04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
depends, 70/75

yep, most state highways are 65-75 depending on how rural the area, US highways usually 70-75 rural, Interstate 55-80 depending on area/traffic, Tollways 75-85. The Texas Highway patrol usually drives black/white vehicles and most will give you 5 mph over before ticketing. Local PD/Sheriff much more anal most of the time (I still wonder if they use a quota system) and drive a variety of colors/types of vehicles.

Also be over cautious if driving highways that go thru smaller towns, as they tend to give little to no warning of dropping speed limit coming into town and will drop very quickly from 70/75 to 55 to 45 to 35 within a half a mile entering towns ... I got busted in Guthrie TX where it did that and I got a 48 in a 35 as I missed the last drop from 45 to 35.

Snipe
04-03-2014, 02:02 PM
MCOCD doesn't allow for boat rentals. :uglyhamme

shepherd
04-03-2014, 02:48 PM
For those who would take people out on their boats for a fee, ICBW but I think that would require a professional captain's license. And there are probably other barriers such as business licenses/regulations, tax implications, and liability insurance concerns. Of course, that's if you want to do it legally... :rolleyes:

JohnE
04-03-2014, 03:59 PM
For those who would take people out on their boats for a fee, ICBW but I think that would require a professional captain's license. And there are probably other barriers such as business licenses/regulations, tax implications, and liability insurance concerns. Of course, that's if you want to do it legally... :rolleyes:

And commercial insurance. My BoatUS policy wouldn't cover anything happening if it were a rental situation. But there is a guy in Maine advertising his '93 205 for $3K a day. For that I'd take a chance.

Towboatcapt
04-03-2014, 04:07 PM

I'll capt a ski boat for a "small" Fee...

Towboatcapt
04-03-2014, 04:08 PM
yep, most state highways are 65-75 depending on how rural the area, US highways usually 70-75 rural, Interstate 55-80 depending on area/traffic, Tollways 75-85. The Texas Highway patrol usually drives black/white vehicles and most will give you 5 mph over before ticketing. Local PD/Sheriff much more anal most of the time (I still wonder if they use a quota system) and drive a variety of colors/types of vehicles.

Also be over cautious if driving highways that go thru smaller towns, as they tend to give little to no warning of dropping speed limit coming into town and will drop very quickly from 70/75 to 55 to 45 to 35 within a half a mile entering towns ... I got busted in Guthrie TX where it did that and I got a 48 in a 35 as I missed the last drop from 45 to 35.

Thanks for this good info!! Are Radar detectors legal?

MC25
04-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks for this good info!! Are Radar detectors legal?

You betcha, running the passport 9500IX. Police can't get me, well except last week... lol

strad
04-03-2014, 05:12 PM
And commercial insurance. My BoatUS policy wouldn't cover anything happening if it were a rental situation. But there is a guy in Maine advertising his '93 205 for $3K a day. For that I'd take a chance.

Lol I don't know about that! If there is an accident involving serious injuries or a fatality, it would be nice to have an insurance company fighting for you. The equipment is not the expensive part of this equation.

pmkkdx
04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
You betcha, running the passport 9500IX. Police can't get me, well except last week... lol

yep, radar and laser detectors are legal, just not jammers (if they catch you :D with it) ... I run a Valentine 1 ... retired my passport after side by side comparison. (edit: my passport it wasn't the 9500ix)

MC25
04-03-2014, 05:56 PM
The gps is what won me over on the 9500IX, they're both great though. Looking at getting a jammer/scrambler installed behind my bumpers, tired of cops!

scott023
04-03-2014, 05:56 PM
yep, radar and laser detectors are legal, just not jammers (if they catch you :D with it) ... I run a Valentine 1 ... retired my passport after side by side comparison.

I was running a Cobra and a Passport before trying the Valentine. No comparison between them, Valentine is hands down better.

MC25
04-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Except for the 18 million false alarms lol

scott023
04-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Except for the 18 million false alarms lol

With Valentine?? Way less than with the competition, and the Valentine tells you where the radar is. No other detector does that.

MC25
04-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Mine pretty much does. Tells you multiple signals that you can tell if you're driving towards or away. Also not to mention the gps lockout feature and redlight cam feature. I rode in a buddies car the other night, and his was giving so many false alarms I wanted to toss it out the window. Lol

Towboatcapt
04-03-2014, 09:56 PM
It really only matters on the way down, the way back I'll be towing a boat.

MC25
04-03-2014, 10:46 PM
You going 2 boats deep now?

Towboatcapt
04-03-2014, 10:50 PM
You going 2 boats deep now?

Yes sir! This one.

cbryan70
04-03-2014, 10:50 PM
The gps is what won me over on the 9500IX, they're both great though. Looking at getting a jammer/scrambler installed behind my bumpers, tired of cops!

Jammers do not work on radar.....only laser.....k40.com best radar detector and laser defusers out there. They will pay for tickets for the first year.....

If radar jammers worked why would we have stealth aircraft.

cbryan70
04-03-2014, 10:53 PM
With Valentine?? Way less than with the competition, and the Valentine tells you where the radar is. No other detector does that.

K40s will tell you front or rear in there nicer units. I believe they also ha e GPS so you can eliminate falses

Also you can not accurately test two radar detectors next to each other the frequencies will interfere with each other in intervals

MC25
04-03-2014, 11:40 PM
Jammers do not work on radar.....only laser.....k40.com best radar detector and laser defusers out there. They will pay for tickets for the first year.....

If radar jammers worked why would we have stealth aircraft.

Sweet, will have to look that up. What works on radar?

scott023
04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
K40s will tell you front or rear in there nicer units. I believe they also ha e GPS so you can eliminate falses

Also you can not accurately test two radar detectors next to each other the frequencies will interfere with each other in intervals

Valentine tells you left, right, rear or in front.

cbryan70
04-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Sweet, will have to look that up. What works on radar?

stealth paint and lots of angles :D

tex
04-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I've said this before....I don't rent out my wife and I for sure don't rent out my Mastercraft!

bhanson
04-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Totally get the idea, though. At least three angles to this concept ...

1) I travel on business quite a bit and would love to get on the water a little bit. I have tried TT and other sites to connect with local riders but seems I inevitably just get pointed to local instructors and wake camps. That is ok, but not really the idea.

2) At $100K+ for a new MC, I see more people forming LLCs for boat-sharing, similar to houseboat timeshares. Not for all you guys with lifts in your backyards, but ideal for folks who have limited time and/or budget, but still want a high-end ride.

3) When we do a family vacation, would be awesome to get the family on the water for a day or two during the week on a REAL wake boat (i.e., not a rental bayliner). I personally am a very responsible boat owner and would treat someone's boat like my own. How could you qualify and vett the renters? Not sure, but if you could then this would be an awesome option. Boat-swap would be ideal, IMO.

sseager
04-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Found this surfing today....http://www.happycharter.com/en/show-boat/yacht/charter-boat/rental/bid/8273/