PDA

View Full Version : Prostar 197/X-7: Observer's Seat Heater

Sodar
04-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Does anyone have the factory installed seat heaters for the obsever's seat? I am looking to add the option to my boat, but I want to see a factory install for wire routing and switch panel location.

Can anyone help?

TayMC197
04-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Thats a bad Idea! You realize the battery box is under the seat full of water and battery acid. Add heat to that and your kids will be born naked is all I'm sayin.

I don't have a dog in this fight though, do as you wish with your boat. lol

Sodar
04-01-2014, 03:08 PM
My battery box does not get full of water, nor battery acid, so I am sure it will be a non-issue. :cool:

Like I said in your thread, I could care less what you do to your boat. I really do not see an issue with draining the battery box to the bilge. I never said I did and I even told you how I'd do it. I think I even told you that you could probably get around having to drill by driving and cleaning differently. I did a pretty good job at covering all the bases.

So what's the problem?

corey
04-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Were sold out of 197's but here is the wiring harness with switch panel. The panel screws to the seat base. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/duda5yge.jpg

corey
04-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Here is a close up of the connectors. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/6yze3yne.jpg

Sodar
04-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks Corey! Looks like you've got it. Now I just need to justify the cost. After seeing the quote, it took the wind out of my sails :(

corey
04-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Totally worth it! Well at least in Minnesota!

Per the PM check an auto upholstery shop, they can make quick work of this sans the fancy switch. FWIW just the switch (no aluminum trim piece) is available too it's part 502287A and it's less than $40.

Sodar
04-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Totally worth it! Well at least in Minnesota!

Per the PM check an auto upholstery shop, they can make quick work of this sans the fancy switch. FWIW just the switch (no aluminum trim piece) is available too it's part 502287A and it's less than $40.

OCD is an evil disease! I can't do it unless it looks factory. :rolleyes:

corey
04-01-2014, 03:44 PM
ha ha, I hear that!

TayMC197
04-01-2014, 04:02 PM
My battery box does not get full of water, nor battery acid, so I am sure it will be a non-issue. :cool:

Like I said in your thread, I could care less what you do to your boat. I really do not see an issue with draining the battery box to the bilge. I never said I did and I even told you how I'd do it. I think I even told you that you could probably get around having to drill by driving and cleaning differently. I did a pretty good job at covering all the bases.

So what's the problem?

There isn't a problem, was just making a joke of the posts in my thread. Having fun..

Thought you would find it a little funny but maybe I'm wrong.

snork
04-01-2014, 07:28 PM
WRONG

Dynamite Spike
04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
OCD is an evil disease! I can't do it unless it looks factory. :rolleyes:

What about if it's better than factory? Is that ok? :-)

TayMC197
04-01-2014, 11:23 PM
WRONG

Obviously..

Sodar
04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
There isn't a problem, was just making a joke of the posts in my thread. Having fun..

Thought you would find it a little funny but maybe I'm wrong.

Obviously..

I am actually a pretty nice guy who can take just as many jokes as I can dish. I just played it close to the vest to see where you were coming from.

jkski
04-02-2014, 10:50 AM
FWIW, I have it as installed by the factory in my 08 and I do not know that it is really worth the investment. I like the driver seat heat but rarely have anyone say anything about the passenger seat heat. The heater itself is by far the best investment in terms of staying warm and people always comment on that.

Sodar
04-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks Jeff. We have a heater, too. The wife loves the seater heater in the drivers seat and asked why we did not have it in the observer's seat. I said "it's all wired, I just need to get the pad and the switch. She said "get it". Boss' orders!

When you see your boat next, would you mind firing off a few photos for me?

scott023
04-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Thanks Jeff. We have a heater, too. The wife loves the seater heater in the drivers seat and asked why we did not have it in the observer's seat. I said "it's all wired, I just need to get the pad and the switch. She said "get it". Boss' orders!

Can't be any more straight forward than that. :D

TayMC197
04-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Take the opportunity to order a few more things and just say it was all necessary to make the seat heater work.

Lars
04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Wow, two PS197-targeted threads in a week! :eek3:

Now this is starting to look like my kind of team talk!

jkski
04-02-2014, 02:11 PM

Sure, would be happy to. Let me know any specific pics you would like to see and I will be sure to get shots of that. I can make a trek over to visit her this weekend.

As for the reason for wanting it....say no more, "Happy Wife, Happy Life"!!!

JohnE
04-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Cam we used the seat heat in the observers seat all the time in our X14. Also FWIW, in my 08 there were not separate switches for driver and observer seats. IIRC They were controlled by one switch. Something you could consider.

jkski
04-02-2014, 02:32 PM
On my 08 the driver side is controlled by a switch on the dash and the observer seat is controlled by the switch mounted on the base of the passenger seat (same one pictured earlier in this thread). It is odd that an 08 197 and and 08 X14 would be set up differently from the factory.

Sodar
04-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Sure, would be happy to. Let me know any specific pics you would like to see and I will be sure to get shots of that. I can make a trek over to visit her this weekend.

As for the reason for wanting it....say no more, "Happy Wife, Happy Life"!!!

Pretty much just looking for install method and location of the switch panel. How is the harness mounted to the seat and where the wires are run to/from. Basically, I just want see how the factory did it.

jkski
05-07-2014, 06:48 AM
Cameron
Sorry the days got away from me and I just managed to get my boat out of storage last night and was able to get the following pics for you of the heated passenger seat install. Take a look at the pics and let me know what else you want to see and I can get those taken tonight.
Pretty much though, the switch is mounted to the seat base beside the heater port and the wires run on the backside of the base to the left and then up behind the side cushion and into the wire runs. The wiring from the actual seat heater all runs up and out the backside of the seat backrest in the upper left corner (when looking at the seat in the up position) and then it goes to the left to meet up with the switch wires in the wire runs.

Hope this helps.

TayMC197
05-07-2014, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't mind adding a heater to my 197, there a kit for that? Not the seat heaters, just regular blower heater.

jkski
05-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Yep, check out Maradyne Marine Heaters. The kit they sell is a simple plug and play for the most part as your 197 already has the wiring harness set-up for the heater tucked up under the dash.
Easy install in about 4 hours or so (maybe less) depending on your mechanical abilities.