PDA

View Full Version : Prone Position Paddleboards

CBRENT
03-31-2014, 11:06 AM
Hello everyone.

Does anyone use or have any insight into these style of boards? Thinking about getting into this for pleasure and exercise.

I've used SUP but I want something a bit more aggressive and quicker.

Thanks!

Bruce-ActionWater
04-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Check out the Connelly Arrow board. We stock them. connellyskis.com

I use one every morning, works really good!!

CBRENT
04-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Hey Bruce! Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a board that is specific to the kneeling/laying down position. That board looks nice but would not fit my needs. Just tough to find one around here. Not popular and I like that but is a pain when you want one, ha.

Looking for something like these:

http://www.joebarkpaddleboards.com/boards/view/8/CT+Stock

http://shop.surftech.com/Bark_3/120-Bark-Commander-Prone?utm_source=A+Date+with+the+Strait&utm_campaign=Date+with+the+strait&utm_medium=email

Bruce-ActionWater
04-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Hey Bruce! Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for a board that is specific to the kneeling/laying down position. That board looks nice but would not fit my needs. Just tough to find one around here. Not popular and I like that but is a pain when you want one, ha.

Looking for something like these:

http://www.joebarkpaddleboards.com/boards/view/8/CT+Stock

http://shop.surftech.com/Bark_3/120-Bark-Commander-Prone?utm_source=A+Date+with+the+Strait&utm_campaign=Date+with+the+strait&utm_medium=email

I kneel on mine and it works pretty good.

AlbertaSurfer
04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
CBRENT, are you at all familiar with SurfTech and what they do?

CBRENT
04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
@ AlbertaSurfer - I know who they are only by doing research online. I know they are the production arm for non-custom BARK boards. Including the one I'm most interested in, the Commander. I know that they have their own line of boards... I've spoken with them on the phone, nice people, and they have hooked me up with a company in Holland MI, 2.5 hours away from me. They have the board I'm looking for in stock. Going to schedule a demo with them later this month.

Their website: http://www.hollandoutpost.com/

Curious why you ask?

AlbertaSurfer
04-03-2014, 12:38 PM
I wasn't speaking ill on them. They build EPX or epoxy versions of other people boards. For the general user, it's a much better, more cost effective choice. They obtain the license to mock up the shape and build using different materials. I'm a travelling surfer, living in Canada and all, so EPX suits me better. Stuffing a glassie into a board bag and putting it on a plane is a quick way to ruin a surf trip, so a less expensive but more durable epoxy fits the bill perfectly.

I only asked because you posted the original board, and the SurfTech copy of it. Definitely pull the trigger on the SurfTech, especially on a kneeboard like that. It's gonna stand the test of time.

I'm backing SurfTech for sure. My EPX Ozzie Wrong was literally half the cost of the glass version. After one surf trip to Hawaii, my glassie Arakawa is a wall hanger, and the Ozzie has been on several trips all over the place.

CBRENT
04-03-2014, 04:55 PM
@ AlbertaSurfer - I think it's awesome that you are giving me honest and experienced feedback on SurfTech. Thanks for that!

I was not trying to insinuate anything by my asking the, "why you ask" question. Wanted to make sure you didn't know something that I didn't kind of thing.

Yeah I posted both just to get the point across to those that could help or try to help. I'd love to hear more about your travels. Pics and the like!

The owner of the shop I mentioned above was very open about the board I'm looking at and gave me all the ins and outs of the company and how they work with BARK and others for that matter. Which speaks volumes about the type of people they are.

Have you done any prone boarding? If so got any input for someone like me just starting out.

Thanks for your posts.

AlbertaSurfer
04-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Never tried one, but last time I was in Australia, tons of Aussies were into it. They would hammer out past the break, round a Bouy, and hammer back in. There were big groups gathering in the mornings and just lapping. What a workout!

I've never paddled around on a board like that, but I do paddle around prone while surfing of course. I can definitely see the benefits of a shape like that, when you aren't looking to catch a wave. The kneeling looks a little tougher than I'd like, but I could get into cruising on my stomach.

To keep in shape for surf trips, I lane swim every other day. Maybe I should get one of these for the lake instead of my paddle board too!

CBRENT
04-04-2014, 09:24 AM
@ AlbertaSurfer - I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how the demo goes. Yeah I think it will be a great workout. Esp for the upper body. I'd think that this type of board and workout would really help in prep for surfing. Strongly mimics the paddle out to the wave and into the wave.

You have any vids or photos of you surfing?

AlbertaSurfer
04-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Naw.

I mean, I have a few pics of me on the computer at home I could dig up, and some very unflattering face shots from having a GoPro filming while paddling out. I think a person should be able to get money back from GoPro when you film yourself and realize your only a small percentage as cool as you figured you were...

CBRENT
04-07-2014, 11:00 AM
That is def one of the funniest things I've heard!

It's so true! You/we always feel so much cooler and feel like you looked so pro, until you see the vid or pic.