PDA

View Full Version : 197 Battery Box Drainage

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Curious if anyone has a solution to adding a drain to the 197 battery box... Drives me crazy when I wash the carpet or water comes over the bow, it fills the battery box and have to get in there and drain it out with a shammy or towel....

Hammer
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
The point of the box is to contain battery acid if the battery were to leak so a drain is not a good idea. Battery acid and fiberglass are not a good combo.

Hammer
03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
So I would stick with the towel.

CantRepeat
03-31-2014, 09:34 AM
So I would stick with the towel.

^^^^ x10

Table Rocker
03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
I bought a plastic battery box that fit in perfectly and sticks up above the level of the floor by about an inch and a half. The amount of water that can fit between the plastic box and the hole in the floor is minimal and with the lid on, no water gets in the box. I did have to do some minor modifications around the box handles so it would fit all the way down to the floor of the hole.

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
I get that you want to contain battery acid but most people have their spare batteries mounted on a plate on their carpet. I was thinking about putting a drain hole and hose possibly to where it would drain into the bilge. Acid is Acid but it dissipates fairly quickly. Weather its in the battery box, which is fiberglass or in the bilge, seems it will all go to the same place (driveway).

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 11:26 AM
I bought a plastic battery box that fit in perfectly and sticks up above the level of the floor by about an inch and a half. The amount of water that can fit between the plastic box and the hole in the floor is minimal and with the lid on, no water gets in the box. I did have to do some minor modifications around the box handles so it would fit all the way down to the floor of the hole.

Think this might be an option, I want to cut the box I currently have to make its sit higher and wider for two batteries.

Sodar
03-31-2014, 11:39 AM
Be careful drilling the drain hole.

I am pretty sure that it is not a clear drain to the bilge. If I remember correctly, the battery box is adjacent to a chase that runs from the engine compartment to the battery box and then to the dash. Although the chase is open to the bilge, the cutout openings in the bulkheads are substantially higher than the bottom of the bilge and the chase does not drain easily to the bilge. If you use the chase as a drain, you are going to need to drill additional holes to let it drain correctly. You will probably see what I am talking about once you get into it.

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Be careful drilling the drain hole.

I am pretty sure that it is not a clear drain to the bilge. If I remember correctly, the battery box is adjacent to a chase that runs from the engine compartment to the battery box and then to the dash. Although the chase is open to the bilge, the cutout openings in the bulkheads are substantially higher than the bottom of the bilge and the chase does not drain easily to the bilge. If you use the chase as a drain, you are going to need to drill additional holes to let it drain correctly. You will probably see what I am talking about once you get into it.

I was looking at that the other day, I can see down inside of the hull where the battery cables run in. I'd have to cut a hole in the bottom, then plum a hose to the bilge would be the best bet.

Rossterman
03-31-2014, 01:22 PM
Defeating the purpose of the design by draining to bilge. Acid gases are toxic to breathe and creates all kinds of even nastier toxic gases when in contact with various metals. I think you would be taking a huge risk by not containing it in a inert container like battery box...

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 01:47 PM
Am I missing something? My battery box in my boat is fiberglass.. That's it.. No special plastic nothing. It's no different than my bilge. It was a fiberglass box in my 190 as well.

Also I'd breath it whether it was in the battery box or the bilge. At least the bilge has an exhaust fan and drains. The battery box is under the observer seat next to the driver.

Sodar
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure it is just an act of keeping the acid separate from other fluids. It's your boat, do as you wish.

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it is just an act of keeping the acid separate from other fluids. It's your boat, do as you wish.

Thank you.. I understand the risks of getting battery fluid in the bilge.. But the battery submerged in water didn't seem safe either.

I've seriously had the water level flush with the top of the battery..

Sodar
03-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Thank you.. I understand the risks of getting battery fluid in the bilge.. But the battery submerged in water didn't seem safe either.

You seriously need to learn to stop swamping! 8p

thatsmrmastercraft
03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
You seriously need to learn to stop swamping! 8p

Cam says what everyone was thinking. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif.pagespeed.ce.QAghYzd6w_.gif

Hammer
03-31-2014, 03:36 PM
^^^^:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thatsmrmastercraft
03-31-2014, 03:48 PM
On Tay's behalf, a submarine is a boat. :rolleyes:

Rossterman
03-31-2014, 06:57 PM
In our 205v the battery sump is a plastic- similar to what battery boxes are made from (hdpe?) fiberglass probably has fairly good resistance to battery acid so maybe that's why yours is OK. Seems like best solution would be to mount them in a separate battery box that will sit in the sump, that way you can fill the boat pretty full of water and the box will still stay dry

CantRepeat
03-31-2014, 08:57 PM

Then you really need to look at how you are swamping the boat.

Sure it's your boat but drilling out the battery box so you don't have to use towels to get the water out is just a bad idea. You want to break something just so you aren't inconvenienced.

TayMC197
03-31-2014, 10:18 PM
The swamping comes from washing the boat. I've only swamped in the water once. I'll wash all the upholstry and power wash the carpet.. Water can't drain from the box.

I can stop washing my boat but I'd imagine I'd get more crap from that than drilling my battery box.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/8yreqyba.jpg

Not the best picture but shows what I'm working with.. Also boat is under a stereo upgrade at the moment.

Miss Rita
04-01-2014, 09:54 AM
You know, if you sold your boat to me that would fix your problem.

:D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Is there room to epoxy an extension to the inside of the battery box to stick up several inches and provide a lip to keep the water out? There sure has been plenty of lip in this thread already.:rolleyes:

Sodar
04-01-2014, 10:57 AM
The swamping comes from washing the boat. I've only swamped in the water once. I'll wash all the upholstry and power wash the carpet.. Water can't drain from the box.

I can stop washing my boat but I'd imagine I'd get more crap from that than drilling my battery box.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/8yreqyba.jpg

Not the best picture but shows what I'm working with.. Also boat is under a stereo upgrade at the moment.

I got no dog in this fight.

Like I said earlier, its your boat, do as you wish.

Perhaps you lighten up on the water used for your washing techniques? I too am anal about my 197 and I've never had a problem with the battery box filling up. I usually pop the bow cushions out before washing the boat and the water that gets under the bow is only enough to get the carpet wet. It never pools or is enough to flow back to the battery compartment. To each his own.

Tell us more about the stereo install. That looks like an interesting place to put your amps. How are you running your cables? Are the shocks strong enough to hold the observer's seat up? I'd never thought about installing it that way, but I guess it is a great way to save room, if it is functional.

I lost about 6" in width when I installed my amps.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HH3rbRKXtPk/S6A59zfruVI/AAAAAAAADxc/E-CyxX-BPtA/s800/DSC03125.JPG

Sodar
04-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Is there room to epoxy an extension to the inside of the battery box to stick up several inches and provide a lip to keep the water out? There sure has been plenty of lip in this thread already.:rolleyes:

The battery box is carpeted around the lip and actually does have a little slope to it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6PpIxfH71xA/S6A8ixq9wQI/AAAAAAAADz4/niX6WuVLLGI/s800/DSC02817.JPG

TayMC197
04-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Water mostly gets in there when power washing the carpet. Honestly don't have to mess with it often, it just was a thought and was curious if anyone modded it before.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/usaquzed.jpg
I only have power wires ran so far. Just giving a little extra length for cables to pivot at the hinge. I'll finish wiring tonight and post pictures.

Shocks currently aren't strong enough, I'll order stronger ones. Honestly shocks barely held my seat up before. Always opened the observer back cushion to keep it from falling. I temporally have a bungee cord that hooks to tower to hold it up. I want to save room, didn't really put anything under the seat. So figured why not. Also easy to mess with amps this way.

TayMC197
04-01-2014, 02:57 PM
You know, if you sold your boat to me that would fix your problem.

:D

Lol not that large of a problem.

BudmanV24
04-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Interesting amp rack....looks comfortable, lol. You could swap to a sealed battery(s), drill a hole, and never have to worry about battery acid again.

CantRepeat
04-02-2014, 07:37 AM
I agree with sodar on looking at how you are using water. How often are you power washing your carpet? I wouldn't think it would be every weekend. :confused:

TayMC197
04-02-2014, 09:35 AM
About twice a year.. It's not a regularly occurring problem.. Just hate it being wet and having to slide rags I there to drain it out. It's not a major problem, was only curious if someone had performed a mod for this.

TayMC197
04-02-2014, 09:36 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/esehetu8.jpg
Almost finished, going to redo rca's but needed temporary setup to test it out.

TayMC197
04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/02/u2a8yju4.jpg