PDA

View Full Version : New rules in some Texas Counties

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 10:52 AM
If you operate on public waters in Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Fannin, Grayson, Hood, Jack, Kaufman, Montague, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Stephens, Tarrant, Wise, and Young counties or Lake Belton (and I think there is one more), you now have to drain your motor, bilge, etc. on the ramp (before you put the boat in the water and after you pull it out) to prevent the spread of zebra muscles.

Have fun, and please don't bring that stuff this way.

I'm off to invest in quick disconnect futures.

mikeg205
03-29-2014, 10:55 AM
If you operate on public waters in Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Denton, Fannin, Grayson, Hood, Jack, Kaufman, Montague, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Stephens, Tarrant, Wise, and Young counties or Lake Belton (and I think there is one more), you now have to drain your motor, bilge, etc. on the ramp (before you put the boat in the water and after you pull it out) to prevent the spread of zebra muscles.

Funny rule - they need to have a program in place to flush as well as drain. Unfortunately some idiots will be bringing them in. :(

Bob B
03-29-2014, 11:14 AM
If you drain your motor, bilge, etc. on the ramp before you put the boat in the water that water run into the lake.

Indyxc
03-29-2014, 11:18 AM
If you drain your motor, bilge, etc. on the ramp before you put the boat in the water that water run into the lake.

And here is why these programs fail. To succeed you have to be perfect always. For zebras to succeed they can always fail but once.

TayMC197
03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Remember, your motor carries a good bit of water in it. So draining bilge, ballasts, etc. is great but as soon as you fire up the engine, you just put about 2-3 gallons of water into the lake.

No matter what you do, you can't get rid of idiots, if we could we wouldn't have most of the issues with the lakes.

MC25
03-29-2014, 11:30 AM
That's so annoying

Kyle
03-29-2014, 11:39 AM
I'm all for conservation but I'm sorry, I'm not winterizing and sumerizing every trip to the lake. Until science proves the zebras can live in a turned off engine that gets up to 240* roughly with the hatch closed and until it cools over hours then I'm rolling without draining. I doubt that they could survive such a temperature change so fast for so long.

Aquariums are very temperature specific. A lake is just like an aquarium. They should capture some zebras and put them in 220-240* water and see if they survive. I doubt it.

Jerseydave
03-29-2014, 11:46 AM
Better to drain your boat than to have this rule in PA at a private lake.

Any boat that enters through the gate on a trailer has to be sealed to the trailer for a period of at least 7 days and parked. I assume this allows any zebra mussels to die off therefore not causing a threat of infestation.

Kyle
03-29-2014, 11:54 AM

Any boat that enters through the gate on a trailer has to be sealed to the trailer for a period of at least 7 days and parked. I assume this allows any zebra mussels to die off therefore not causing a threat of infestation.

We have that rule too.

If you dump into texoma, you have to wait Xdays before boating like quarantine basically. Wash the bilge, flush the engine, wash the trailer, etc. Thank god I'm only using 2 lakes here in ftw and they feed each other. You can canoe from one lake to the water outlet of the other. If one lake above has them, then it is impossible for the lower lake to not get them.

There is actually a fine given if you get caught breaking the rules.....I'm like how can you prove any boat was in any lake x days prior.

Bob B
03-29-2014, 12:16 PM

That is what many private lakes in my area are doing and BIG fines if you are the one that bring them into the lake.

Also,Car wash close to my lake has just installed this equipment:

Normally the water temperature at a bay nozzle discharge is about 100 to 105 F (104 F water is supposedly good for ZM killing but duration required is 20 minutes - 140 F duration is 10 seconds duration).
The new equipment he has will get 140 F at the nozzle in this particular bay.
He has a sign that will initially read "Truck Wash" at this bay, but he agreed he will put up one that reads "Truck and Boat Wash

blakekrone
03-29-2014, 12:56 PM
We have similar rules up here. Drain plugs have to be pulled while the boat is on a trailer, if you get caught driving with your hull drain plug in big fine. A few of the lakes I go to record your reg numbers on an ipad with a database. They ask you what was the last lake you were in and how many days. One of the lakes even puts a tag on through your bow hook and trailer, if it's still there next visit you don't get interrogated, if it's gone you get questioned. Certain lakes flag you and you are not allowed on.

After and prior to any trip to a lake I always use the fake a lake. This is done prior to a trip to mainly make sure everything is ready to go before hauling to the lake.

onewheat
03-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a PITA - our lake already has them and I don't go anywhere else, so I guess I don't need to worry about it and they don't need to worry about me bringing them anywhere else either.

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 04:31 PM

That was more of a messenger misspeak than the text of the rule. You need to drain on the ramp before you leave. I think it says before you launch or something to that effect.

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Remember, your motor carries a good bit of water in it. So draining bilge, ballasts, etc. is great but as soon as you fire up the engine, you just put about 2-3 gallons of water into the lake.

No matter what you do, you can't get rid of idiots, if we could we wouldn't have most of the issues with the lakes.

Motor is included in things that have to be drained.

JimN
03-29-2014, 04:32 PM

Did they mention checking trailers/bunks and vehicle bumpers? I used to see a lot of mussels on trailers when they first made it to WI.

They really have done a great job of clearing up the water here, although that brings another whole set of issues.

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Did they mention checking trailers/bunks and vehicle bumpers? I used to see a lot of mussels on trailers when they first made it to WI.

They really have done a great job of clearing up the water here, although that brings another whole set of issues.

Not sure. Didn't read the text of the rule. We have a huge problem with giant salvinia at our favorite lake. Just takes one hanging off the trailer. They multiply like crazy and really mess up the lakes. I'm pretty good about checking the trailer and boat. I'd hate to be the douche that dropped that into another lake. The Zebra Muscle rule is a pain, but if I'm in one of those counties, I'll follow it. Same reasoning.

JimN
03-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Not sure. Didn't read the text of the rule. We have a huge problem with giant salvinia at our favorite lake. Just takes one hanging off the trailer. They multiply like crazy and really mess up the lakes. I'm pretty good about checking the trailer and boat. I'd hate to be the douche that dropped that into another lake. The Zebra Muscle rule is a pain, but if I'm in one of those counties, I'll follow it. Same reasoning.

How the H does a plant from SE Brazil get up to the US? I suppose it's the same as Eurasian Millfoil- some dipwad decides that it looks nice for landscaping, so they bring some in illegally, then a flood washes it to a river or lake.

hoosier skier
03-29-2014, 05:27 PM
We had a zebra mussel invasion on our 500 acre lake around 7 years ago caused by the bass tourney a holes that we're dumping their live wells along with the rest of their garbage at days end . The lake board had a meeting and we're considering nukeing the lake with some mixture of god nows what to kill them off . Some old man spoke up and suggested doing nothing and letting them go because he reasoned that they will multiply at a rate faster than their food source and eventually starve . The board followed his advice because it cost nothing and it worked . The first year was the worst but after 3 seasons , they were virtually gone .

JimN
03-29-2014, 05:31 PM
We had a zebra mussel invasion on our 500 acre lake around 7 years ago caused by the bass tourney a holes that we're dumping their live wells along with the rest of their garbage at days end . The lake board had a meeting and we're considering nukeing the lake with some mixture of god nows what to kill them off . Some old man spoke up and suggested doing nothing and letting them go because he reasoned that they will multiply at a rate faster than their food source and eventually starve . The board followed his advice because it cost nothing and it worked . The first year was the worst but after 3 seasons , they were virtually gone .

Some fish eat them, too. I think Lake Michigan has some kind of Goby and the numbers are far lower than before. They eat the algae, their numbers bloom and they really have helped here. Now, we have to worry about Asian Carp.

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 05:59 PM
How the H does a plant from SE Brazil get up to the US? I suppose it's the same as Eurasian Millfoil- some dipwad decides that it looks nice for landscaping, so they bring some in illegally, then a flood washes it to a river or lake.

This is the second time the lake has been hit with it. They got it under control several years ago. All of a sudden, it showed back up at the end of last year. Your theory is probably accurate.

TxsRiverRat
03-29-2014, 06:02 PM
someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you drained everything and then plug it back up every single time you went to the lake, isn't that more wear and tear on your engine starting it up with no water in it every single time for years and years?

I have to agree with Kyle on most of his points... I operate on two bodies of water that's it... I am NOT going to be complying with this rule because I will not be personally spreading Zebras

Rockman
03-29-2014, 06:43 PM
someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you drained everything and then plug it back up every single time you went to the lake, isn't that more wear and tear on your engine starting it up with no water in it every single time for years and years?

I have to agree with Kyle on most of his points... I operate on two bodies of water that's it... I am NOT going to be complying with this rule because I will not be personally spreading Zebras

Yes, but you have to remember, most of the people who make up the rulkes are not affected by them...or at least how I see it when it comes to lake issues, etc.:mad:

If everyone was careful and just used common sense, wait, that will never happen...

Farmer Ted
03-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up Doug, do you have a link to the policy?

A quick review of http://www.texasinvasives.org/zebramussels gives a good overview of what to do and not to do.

Its messed up that you're more likely to get hammered for illegally transporting a mollusk but it's ok to illegally transport a mexican.....

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 07:23 PM

It might be a little more wear on the impeller. But if you change it seasonally, it should be fine.

As long as you don't bring some invasive [email protected] to my lake, I don't care what you do.

east tx skier
03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up Doug, do you have a link to the policy?

Link (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20140320a). More counties added.

MC25
03-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Went on lake Lewisville today. Didnt do that. Lol

X25John
03-30-2014, 08:56 AM
We boat at Norris in TN. Noticed them two years ago. My Hydrohoist was covered. Scraped them off and last year wasn't as bad. Hopefully this year will be better. Not sure how much they weigh a dock down but my lift raised about an inch after they were scraped off. They are a nuisance!

Cobra Rob
04-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I had a long conversation with the border patrol people a year and a half ago when I was going through CA.

I was towing the boat from Portland to Houston for a job change and since it was winter I had the boat completely winterized and wrapped in the heavy white plastic. Completely forgot about the vegetables and plants stop when you go into Ca. He made me pull to the side and wanted me to cut off the wrap I just spent quite a bit of money on for him to inspect the boat. He didn't care that it was like 30deg out and I was not stopping for a boat ride in Ca while on my way to Texas. Took me about 30min to convince him I winterized the boat which flushes the motor with antifreeze and I poured a little bleach into all of the ballast tanks. I think he got tired of arguing with me and let me go finally.

wka40
07-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Ok, so I'm not trying to spread the Zebra mussels to any other lakes, but I just bought my first boat a few months ago and I'm still learning. I've learned a lot by reading all these treads, but haven't found anything about draining or flushing the motor.

Thus far I have only been on Lake Lewisville, but would like to travel to other lakes around Texas. However, I don't know how to drain the water from the engine. Can anyhow explain how to drain the water or flush the engine on a X2?

Also, is there ways to flush out my ballast tanks and hull where the center drain is? After every outting I have probably 2-4" of water at the center drain.

Any other suggestions on cleaning to prevent the spread of the zebra mussels would be appreciated.

mustangtexas
07-01-2014, 11:38 AM
As of today, July 1st, you must drain all water from your boat when pulled from any lake in Texas. New state law.

ChandlerR
07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
OK. I have a place on Possum Kingdom. Normally stays in the lift, but with the water down 15ft, we're trailering to a deep water ramp so I would have to comply. I guarantee that a lot of people, probably most, don't know how to drain/winterize their boats. Might be a good side business for somebody ?? I do, but that's a 30 minute job if you hurry!
Anyway, my question is about the BRA, the governing body of my lake and the lake below it, then to the next, which is a COE lake. The do releases of water all the time. What about that ? Would make my day if they would have to stop releasing water.

Astepatatime
07-01-2014, 07:02 PM
As of today, July 1st, you must drain all water from your boat when pulled from any lake in Texas. New state law.

So this is probably going to increase demand, and accordingly, fees, for slips at marinas, right?

It's going to be a bigger hassle to keep your boat at your house or offsite storage area and trailer to the the lake?

I ask because we're building a house in TX and plan to store the boat instead of pay the outrageous slip fees at Canyon Lake. But sounds like I may need to rethink that plan....

sdinga
07-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Hit us up when you get there..we're at canyon every weekend

MC25
07-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Pretty sure I was in a zebra muscle infomercial being filmed by tx parks and rec this morning. Lol

MC25
07-01-2014, 09:17 PM
Btw the law isnt as bad as you think. First actual day of the year, they sat at the ramp and informed us of the new law. Havent seen them since

jsturvey
07-01-2014, 10:09 PM
I've been running Canyon Lake exclusively for 5 years, usually about every other weekend on average. Always looking for new friends out there as well.

So this is probably going to increase demand, and accordingly, fees, for slips at marinas, right?

It's going to be a bigger hassle to keep your boat at your house or offsite storage area and trailer to the the lake?

I ask because we're building a house in TX and plan to store the boat instead of pay the outrageous slip fees at Canyon Lake. But sounds like I may need to rethink that plan....

Hit us up when you get there..we're at canyon every weekend

Astepatatime
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
I've been running Canyon Lake exclusively for 5 years, usually about every other weekend on average. Always looking for new friends out there as well.

Jsturvey and Sdinga - we're about a year away...still working on designs for a new house to build in New Braunfels. Our older kids are in the greater SA area, so moving back to be closer to them.

So do you guys have slips at either of the two marinas, or trailer in for each trip? I'm thinking we'll look for storage and trailer, but not sure yet.

jsturvey
07-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Jsturvey and Sdinga - we're about a year away...still working on designs for a new house to build in New Braunfels. Our older kids are in the greater SA area, so moving back to be closer to them.

So do you guys have slips at either of the two marinas, or trailer in for each trip? I'm thinking we'll look for storage and trailer, but not sure yet.

I trailer in. Usually launch at Turkey Cove on the southern side of the lake. It's the closest drive for me as it usually takes about 25 minutes to get there from our house. (Going through New Braunfels on the way). Reside in Cibolo which is only a 10 minute jog south fro New Braunfels on IH35. You won't be very far away from me at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdinga
07-02-2014, 07:35 AM
I launch potters creek on north side..storage is 5 minutes away at $125/quarter otherwise I would move to south side and cut my commute in half, but can't beat my price.
Sturvey if you see a white/red/silver x25 come say hi!

jsturvey
07-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I launch potters creek on north side..storage is 5 minutes away at $125/quarter otherwise I would move to south side and cut my commute in half, but can't beat my price.
Sturvey if you see a white/red/silver x25 come say hi!

Likewise! I have a blue and beige maristar 225. I usually hang out near the dam, or the cove opposite comal park.

BudmanV24
07-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Pretty sure I was in a zebra muscle infomercial being filmed by tx parks and rec this morning. Lol
. . . . .

MC25
07-02-2014, 11:28 PM
hahaha so glad you got a pic

east tx skier
07-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Well, I was compliant with my father in law's boat this weekend. Probably could have gotten by with not doing it, but didn't want to risk it on a holiday weekend (would have felt not guilt since he only puts in on one lake).

What a monumental pain. Ordered a set of quick drains for my boat.

Morety
07-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Well, I was compliant with my father in law's boat this weekend. Probably could have gotten by with not doing it, but didn't want to risk it on a holiday weekend (would have felt not guilt since he only puts in on one lake).

What a monumental pain. Ordered a set of quick drains for my boat.

Which drains did you order? I am still not exactly sure what I need to be compliant.

H2ORidr
07-07-2014, 12:11 PM
And here is why these programs fail. To succeed you have to be perfect always. For zebras to succeed they can always fail but once.

I got checked at a local launch here in MN the other day. The woman doing the checking was not hard on the eyes and she was probably a biology major just doing her summer job, but I had plenty of time (long line of boats) so I decided to poke the system and see her response.

So I said, checking boats is fine, but what about ducks and geese and the stuff that clings to their legs? She got a bewildered look on her face and then had the audacity to say "that could not happen." I then laughed and told her the story about my brother and his two, not one but TWO farm ponds he has built in the last 20 years.

Imagine a field with only a wet low area in it and a teeny tiny stream that dries up 6 months of the year. Imagine digging with a D8 dozer a big ~4 acre pond in said field. The pond fills up with natural drainage from springs and the water table. Now imagine 2-3 years later finding bullheads, bass and about 30+ different kinds of aquatic plant life in said pond. NONE of which were put there by humans. Now the first time it happened in the pond my brother built he chalked it up to angry neighbors or some kids putting the fish in the ponds. Afterall bullheads and bass do not exactly walk on land. But 10 years later when he built another pond on another piece of land under the same conditions, he knew it had to come from ducks and geese. His current pond is in his back yard and he knows nobody put stuff in there, yet he has bluegills, sunnies, bass, and bullheads in the pond, just like his first one.

When the lady at the ramp looked more bewildered after hearing about my brother's ponds, I then asked her, how did fish get in all those thousands and thousands of lakes in the northern midwest and Canada if those lakes were all formed by glaciers and are not interconnected? My brother goes fishing way, way up in Canada where the lakes are isolated and not interconnected and yet all of them have fish in them. They did not get there by walking.

Moral of the story is we can stop or slow down transfer with boats, but wildlife is going to do the same transfers and we can't stop them.

mzimme
07-07-2014, 12:21 PM
Hasn't anyone watched The Lion King? This is the circle of life... MAAAHHHHTTSSSENN HENNYAAAAAAAAAA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwSKkKrUzUk

east tx skier
07-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Which drains did you order? I am still not exactly sure what I need to be compliant.

The PCM Quick Drain Kit from Skidim. It has an extra one for the pump housing that the Indmar marnizations don't have. I think if you really wanted to be compliant, you'd pull the hoses, too. I won't be going that far, however. I have always worried about installing these for fear of their getting clogged with bits of rust. But I doubt it's much a bit of wire wouldn't fix.

For compliance, basically, get all the lake water out of your boat and wipe down the hull and trailer. Open the drains before you leave the ramp and before you put back in (assuming you have been to another body of water or otherwise have water in your boat.

east tx skier
07-07-2014, 04:29 PM
I got checked . . . .

. . . .

Moral of the story is we can stop or slow down transfer with boats, but wildlife is going to do the same transfers and we can't stop them.

Same thing happened at my dad's ranch. He dug a stock pond. Ten or so years later, full of bass. Great fishing spot, but the water moccasins were aggressive. Shotguns were handy.

Regulating the carry on luggage of incoming and outgoing duck and geese is a bit outside of Texas Dept. of Parks & Wildlife's jurisdiction. So they just worry about the boats.

MC25
07-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Nothing. I haven't seen the wardens checking since early april. But since we launch from tower bay over by sneaky petes, which isn't terribly high volume..

bud tells me you're a lawyer, need some help. PM at you.

east tx skier
07-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Nothing. I haven't seen the wardens checking since early april. But since we launch from tower bay over by sneaky petes, which isn't terribly high volume..

bud tells me you're a lawyer, need some help. PM at you.

Doing "nothing" doesn't exactly make him compliant. :) It's just betting on lack of enforcement. If he is a lawyer, and already asked about compliance, I doubt he's planning on chancing it. ICBW.

Update, the PCM kit from SkiDim is no go. Would require major surgery to get it to work right on the GT40 (small clearance on the exhaust manifolds). Will probably fabricate my own block quick drains and take the big box wrench along in the truck to quickly empty the exhaust manifolds. Indmar, if I recall, has more room to play. So the skidim stuff may work. But a 1/4" or 3/4" brass nipple and a ball valve will work just fine and will cost less as long as you don't want to direct things in any particular direction.

440brew
07-14-2014, 12:05 AM
they have been doing this for years in Colorado. when you pull your boat out they inspect for the following: live wells, ballasts, anchors that were used, you need to pull the plug, live bait, etc. the boat is then cleared and they run a wire to you boat and trailer so they know were you used it last. once you return they cut the tag and you are off for the day, when you return you do it all over again. it only takes about 2-3 minutes on each end.

MC25
07-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Doing "nothing" doesn't exactly make him compliant. :) It's just betting on lack of enforcement. If he is a lawyer, and already asked about compliance, I doubt he's planning on chancing it. ICBW.

Update, the PCM kit from SkiDim is no go. Would require major surgery to get it to work right on the GT40 (small clearance on the exhaust manifolds). Will probably fabricate my own block quick drains and take the big box wrench along in the truck to quickly empty the exhaust manifolds. Indmar, if I recall, has more room to play. So the skidim stuff may work. But a 1/4" or 3/4" brass nipple and a ball valve will work just fine and will cost less as long as you don't want to direct things in any particular direction.

You know you dont have to drain the block right? Straight out of the game warden and parks and recs mouth. They die in hot water.

east tx skier
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
You know you dont have to drain the block right? Straight out of the game warden and parks and recs mouth. They die in hot water.

I hope that's the case. Do you have a link to that statement from TDP&W? (your game warden is not my game warden). The rule specifically references draining the motor. I put a pair of full port ball valves on my block yesterday and sent the kit back to skidim. I just emailed TDP&W to see if I can get something in writing from them saying we don't have to drain a hot engine block.

General Rules

It is a violation to:

Possess or transport any exotic aquatic plant or animal listed as harmful or potentially harmful. This includes: plants such as hydrilla, water hyacinth, and giant salvinia; fishes such as tilapia and Asian carps (grass, silver, and bighead carp); and zebra mussels.

. . . .

Fail to immediately remove and lawfully dispose of any harmful or potentially harmful aquatic plant that is clinging or attached to a vessel, watercraft, trailer, motor vehicle, or other device used to transport or launch a vessel or watercraft. Illegal transport can result in a fine of $25-$500.

Rules to Prevent Spread of Zebra Mussels

Updated July 1, 2014: In the state’s ongoing effort to combat the spread of invasive zebra mussels, new rules require that all boats operating on public fresh water anywhere in Texas be drained after use.

Persons leaving or approaching public fresh water are required to drain all water from their vessels and on-board receptacles (includes live wells, bilges, motors and any other receptacles or water-intake systems coming into contact with public waters). This rule applies at all sites where boats can be launched and includes all types and sizes of boats whether powered or not, personal watercraft, sailboats, kayaks/canoes, or any other vessel used to travel on public waters . . . .

Link (https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/possession-and-transport-of-exotic-aquatic-species)

east tx skier
07-21-2014, 10:00 PM
No word back from TDP&W yet. But did read an interesting comment about them on ballofspray. The point of the discussion was about flushing the boat and getting it up to temp so they would die. The next statement was interesting though for obvious reasons.

"They are more than happy to live up near your thermostat - found that one out when the boat had been sitting for a few weeks and they had jammed up the thermostat."

Smarten
07-22-2014, 07:21 AM
they have been doing this for years in Colorado. when you pull your boat out they inspect for the following: live wells, ballasts, anchors that were used, you need to pull the plug, live bait, etc. the boat is then cleared and they run a wire to you boat and trailer so they know were you used it last. once you return they cut the tag and you are off for the day, when you return you do it all over again. it only takes about 2-3 minutes on each end.

If you come in from another lake or do not have both paper and seal tag, you have to go up and have engine and bilge flushed out. I go to another lake several times a year; when I get back, I make sure that the anchor and rest are clean and run over one evening during the week. Only takes a couple of minutes to flush and get the seal put on. then I am ready to run next time through. Not that big of a hassle or maybe I have just gotten used to it.:rolleyes:

roadster02
07-22-2014, 10:06 AM
They are rabid about these inpections here in Colorado, but there is no block draining required. Is block draining required in Texas, or any other states?

SJ.
07-22-2014, 10:58 AM
They are rabid about these inpections here in Colorado, but there is no block draining required. Is block draining required in Texas, or any other states?

That actually depends on the lake here in CO. I've had them hook a fake a lake up to mine and had me run it for about a minute to flush the motor.

roadster02
07-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Really, which lake did that? I don't trust fake a lake at all to supply enough cooling H2o.

SJ.
07-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Grand Lake folks did it when I pulled out so I would be cleared back in to Cherry Creek (I moor there). It's sad, because CC didn't do it when they tagged me for clear on the way out of there. I would like to see them flush everyone at all major lakes in CO, and not on the incline on the boat ramp. Dumbest thing I've seen is that, just flush the motor and the bilge right into the lake you are trying to protect.

SJ.
07-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Oh, and with the fake a lake, I stood in the boat, hand on the key, watching my temp gauge. If it started to move up at all the boat was getting shut off.

JimN
07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
That actually depends on the lake here in CO. I've had them hook a fake a lake up to mine and had me run it for about a minute to flush the motor.

That would only flush the raw water intake and mufflers- likely to be good enough, but if immature mussels get into the block and survive, they'll still cause problems.

I would think about installing a large inline water strainer that's easy to clean.

roadster02
07-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I have actually drained my block right after loading the boat for rewinterizing, and that water is hot as hell! How would any mussel larvae even survive? I think block flushing would be a waste of time, but whatever. I also would be monitoring my temp guage.

JimN
07-22-2014, 11:49 AM
I have actually drained my block right after loading the boat for rewinterizing, and that water is hot as hell! How would any mussel larvae even survive? I think block flushing would be a waste of time, but whatever. I also would be monitoring my temp guage.

Hard to say, but if the thermostat is for low temperature opening and the incoming water is cold, they might- not sure of their temperature tolerance.

roadster02
07-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Good point, might be possible before the thermostat. I've got an inline strainer, hopefully that would take care of it.

ProTour X9
07-22-2014, 12:29 PM
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentaries/249354851.html

Interesting.

curver900
07-22-2014, 02:29 PM
unfortunately all the flushing and checking etc... won't stop the spread, it may slow it... those larva can get on ducks, geese, weeds, etc... and of course all your fishing gear can have it as well... and they can live up to 3 days out of the water... 10 days for adults...

Don't get me wrong all for preventative work but it is a loosing battle... unless you eliminate them it is just a matter of time... To many ways for it to spread and there is always a hole... . just like those that let their "pets" go into the ocean or lakes or glades (python).

east tx skier
07-22-2014, 02:48 PM

The rule says must "drain the engine." I have sent a message to our DNR equivilant to ask if this is necessary with a raw water cooled block that would kill any of these organisms that were sucked into it at operating temp (not even considering heat soak after shut down). Still no response.

roadster02
07-22-2014, 03:02 PM
I can see the engine draining for Outboards, or possibly some IO's. I know when I tilt my outboard down after trailering it, a quart of water or so drops out the prop hub, but my MC engine would cook anything left in the block, and manifold water passages. Darn near gave myself a bad burn draining both these right after trailering.