PDA

View Full Version : Marine survey vs lake test?


Retoxtony
03-28-2014, 09:16 PM
So i'm in the process of buying a newer boat and me and the seller are just hammering out the details of a purchase agreement. Its still winter here so a lake test is out of the question for at least a month but i could always take it to a dealer and have it checked out. The boat is currently sitting in his heated garage at his lake house and he would be willing to keep it there until the ice is off and we can lake test it as long as we have a bill of sale made up conditional on a successful lake test and i give him a deposit. I have no issue with this as long as the deposit can be refunded if the lake test is not successful. My other option would be to just take it to a boat dealership and have it inspected and buy it without a lake test. I'm unsure about which way i should go on this and the seller doesnt seem to care either way. He just wants to know its basically sold and its off his plate. The boat is in great condition and i'm not expecting any surprises during the lake test or inspection. So my question is, if you were buying it what would you do? Wait on the lake test, or just do a marine survey? Or both? And its not a MC. I couldnt find one i liked in my price range. Thanks for the help.

mikeg205
03-29-2014, 01:19 AM
what's all included in the marine survey?

Retoxtony
03-29-2014, 01:32 AM
I just used the term Marine Survey for lack of anything better. More like a buyers inspection. Probably a compression test, verify the hours on the computer, just check it all over. I'd probably get a leak down test done too. I'd likely be taking it back to the dealer who originally sold it back in 07.

Rossterman
03-29-2014, 05:50 AM
M/c has a pretty thorough owner transfer inspection that will find most of any issues. I did this in lieu of water test as price was very good and someone would have likely bought it without and I would have missed out on a killer deal. They go over everything with a fine tooth comb, run the engine, do compression, verify hours match ecu. Even reported how much water had been in the bilge by looking at water marks and measuring. Was $225 if I remember correctly and one of the best investments I made (other than buying the boat which has been fantastic:)). If a great deal that someone might snatch up (maybe even for more than you negotiated) I'd get the inspection and complete the deal. If no risk of this, get inspection now, and lake test later before completing the deal.

Using an m/c dealer who is familiar with the boats means they know the trouble spots

JimN
03-29-2014, 08:26 AM
A good marine survey can tell you if the boat should be lake-tested. More than a few boats had a major problem when the lake test began, as my friend found out last hear when he hit the throttle and sent a push rod through the oil pan.

Retoxtony
03-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm tempted to get the marine survey done just so i have the boat and can do the few little things i'll need to do before its ready for the season. I'm planning on replacing the steering cable (its a little stiff), and plumbing in more ballast for surfing. One problem with getting the survey done is i will need to get it rewinterized and that is quite expensive in my area. I've never paid for it before but other TT members in this area have said its upwards of $650 to have it done.

The more i think about it i may wait for the lake test and then get it checked out at the dealer after that. I won't need to winterize again and they can still tell me a few things i'd like to know. The boat is a Tige and the dealer has a pretty good reputation so i think that may be a good option.