PDA

View Full Version : Cold Snap!

davidstan
03-25-2014, 06:48 PM
In theory I know that a engine block can freeze at 32 degrees if out in that temp long enough. What is the opinion of how cold and for how long will it take to freeze a block that is inside the hull of a boat with the protection of upholstery and such?

Hammer
03-25-2014, 07:02 PM
If the low is 32 it will not freeze in the short period of time its at 32. The mass of the block will take a long time to reach 32. Think of putting a cup of water in the freezer. How long does it take to freeze. Even if has been in the refrigerator how long does it take to freeze. And most freezers are well below 32 degrees.

soacj
03-25-2014, 07:03 PM
I've always heard 2-3 days of constant sub freezing. Never felt inclined to test that theory though!

atihanyi
03-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Not sure if this is right but I have been told that temps in the mid twenties for twenty four hours will freeze a block . At thirty two I would assume it would take a couple days .

CantRepeat
03-25-2014, 07:06 PM
I personally think it takes a few days in single digits or low double digits to even come close to a hard enough freeze to do damage to the motor.

Toss a 40 watt bulb in a drop light and you will be good for a few days easy.

davidstan
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
We have tonight freezing temps for 8 hours but I am not taking any chances but was curious what kind of rule of thumb there was for inboard boats.

Jerseydave
03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Drain the block (remove knock sensor or sensors and/or water jacket pipe plugs)
Drain manifolds (the hoses connect together like a garden hose end)

Should take a whole 10 minutes and you can sleep easy

ski/hunt
03-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Talk about a change of weather!!! In ft lauderdale yesterday morning skiing with McGinnis folks------drive like a "truck driver" to Knoxville---today 38 snow showers!!!! LAME!!108121108122108123108124108125

Stritt
03-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Ski/Hunt....

Guessing you were on spring break too in Florida. We took the boat down to Florida and rolled back to Knoxville on Sunday....I've passed by their ski school many times on the turnpike, nice protected lake.
Where do you ski/boat? If you make it to Dale Hollow let us know, we are there about every weekend starting mid May through 1st of October.

ski/hunt
03-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Ski/Hunt....

Guessing you were on spring break too in Florida. We took the boat down to Florida and rolled back to Knoxville on Sunday....I've passed by their ski school many times on the turnpike, nice protected lake.
Where do you ski/boat? If you make it to Dale Hollow let us know, we are there about every weekend starting mid May through 1st of October.

Ironically I was "working"....I have skied with McGinnis a few times now. Great people!! We ski Melton, watts Barr, and tellico most of the time, but always make one trip a summer to dale hollow. Will be sure to let you know so we can hook up there....just have to remember to contact you before we get there---my cell won't work there....

pmkkdx
03-26-2014, 06:27 PM
my general rule of thumb is more than 24 hours below 32 degrees F. My boat lives in my garage (non-climate control) and when I see a cold snap coming, I put a 40w incandescent drop light on the back of the engine between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold where it doesn't touch or close to any plastic or wiring along with a thermometer and close the cover. It will keep the engine compartment in the upper 40s to low 50s even when the temperature outside drops into the teens, inside the garage likely around the freezing mark or slightly below. Within a few days, the weather will likely be back up into the 60s-80s and its lake time until the next cold snap comes.

davidstan
03-26-2014, 07:42 PM
my general rule of thumb is more than 24 hours below 32 degrees F. My boat lives in my garage (non-climate control) and when I see a cold snap coming, I put a 40w incandescent drop light on the back of the engine between the exhaust manifold and intake manifold where it doesn't touch or close to any plastic or wiring along with a thermometer and close the cover. It will keep the engine compartment in the upper 40s to low 50s even when the temperature outside drops into the teens, inside the garage likely around the freezing mark or slightly below. Within a few days, the weather will likely be back up into the 60s-80s and its lake time until the next cold snap comes.

Here's to hoping there is nothing but cool snaps left in mother nature this spring :rolleyes:

pmkkdx
03-27-2014, 10:17 AM
I think we are done for this year but we usually have a pretty good cold spell right at Easter. But Easter is pretty late this year, April 20? The forecast for tomorrow is high of 88, spring has sprung here in Central Texas :cool: