PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a good cover?

VerdiRiverRat
03-24-2014, 10:45 PM
We need a new cover for our 94 Maristar. The one we have now has rips to accommodate for the tower (would rather have this designed into the cover), and over time these rips have gotten worse and now water just runs through the holes.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

ricford
03-25-2014, 02:45 AM
skiboatcovers.com and get the sunbrella option. They will do custom cut outs for the tower, and lots of extra reinforcing at stress points. They also have a water line option that covers the sides of the boat as well.

JohnE
03-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Coversports, especially if you don't have a tower. They don't have a website, they are a small company in Washington State. You can reach them at [email protected] I dealt with Brent, who I believe is the owner. You won't get a better cover at a better price IMO. Many on here can vouch for them, and they should have the pattern for your older boat. I bought mine in November because this is the first time in years my boat needed to spend the winter outdoors. It held up to a tough, snowy winter.

LKGman
03-25-2014, 09:33 AM
I've had two covers from skiboatcovers.com and have been extremely pleased with both. Great company to deal with also.

VerdiRiverRat
03-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the tips!

$500 is creeping up there :-/ but a good cover will save me in the long run Im sure.

east tx skier
03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Coversports, especially if you don't have a tower. They don't have a website, they are a small company in Washington State. You can reach them at [email protected] I dealt with Brent, who I believe is the owner. You won't get a better cover at a better price IMO. Many on here can vouch for them, and they should have the pattern for your older boat. I bought mine in November because this is the first time in years my boat needed to spend the winter outdoors. It held up to a tough, snowy winter.

Especially if you plan to tow with the cover, Coversports covers are incredible.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/w1358-h812-no/IMAG0050.jpg

ncskier
03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Coversports, especially if you don't have a tower. ...

Why? Do towers need to be custom fitted ?

east tx skier
03-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Why? Do towers need to be custom fitted ?

I'm guessing yes since the footprints are likely rarely identical.

ncskier
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm guessing yes since the footprints are likely rarely identical.

OK, thanks. Your cover looks fantastic!

I emailed Cover Sports asking if they have the pattern for mine with a tower.

Whalenjf
03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Another vote for Brent at Coversports! I have the exact same boat as you and I just got my cover from him, I couldn't be happier! Check out my build thread for more pictures http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55218&page=5 , but I'll throw one of the cover on here for reference. I towed the boat with the new cover for the first time last week and it didn't move one bit even on the highway.

Whalenjf
03-25-2014, 12:07 PM
OK, thanks. Your cover looks fantastic!

I emailed Cover Sports asking if they have the pattern for mine with a tower.

When I had mine done a few months ago, Brent sent me the unfinished cover with no holes and had me mark exactly where the tower would poke through. Then I sent it back, he finished it up, and shipped the completed cover to me.

epnault
03-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Especially if you plan to tow with the cover, Coversports covers are incredible.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/w1358-h812-no/IMAG0050.jpg

Doug,
That is a nice cover. Does it use a coupe of rachet straps? Do you need to tent pole it?
Eric

epnault
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I checked out there website. It looks like he only offers for models back to 2009. Did you get yours custom made?

JohnE
03-25-2014, 02:24 PM
Doug,
That is a nice cover. Does it use a coupe of rachet straps? Do you need to tent pole it?
Eric

No poles. Straps cinch in back... Pics aren't great but you'll get the idea

Ironhorse
03-25-2014, 02:51 PM
East Tx - beautiful boat!

VerdiRiverRat
03-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Another vote for Brent at Coversports! I have the exact same boat as you and I just got my cover from him, I couldn't be happier! Check out my build thread for more pictures http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55218&page=5 , but I'll throw one of the cover on here for reference. I towed the boat with the new cover for the first time last week and it didn't move one bit even on the highway.

Very nice! Can I ask how much? (Great build thread btw! Boat turned out nice!!)

epnault
03-26-2014, 03:01 AM

JohnE, wow. That looks awesome. That looks exactly like what I want. Does he build covers for older boats custom? I want to get one for my 95

CantRepeat
03-26-2014, 05:02 AM
skiboatcovers.com with the waterline sides and extended swim step cover. It comes with 3 poles.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/covera.jpg

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/coverb.jpg

east tx skier
03-26-2014, 10:04 AM

That about covers it. Here are a few more pictures of mine. Easy to put on.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/ODaIww7jN8F8WXfaUHBfj0pPa9I8ObwrQObDVXiPg54=w650-h432-no

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j_21q47f-W0/St_WPJ6HR6I/AAAAAAAACfU/HTDrIame_tY/w650-h432-no/Cover2.JPG

There are four large hooks all the way down each side of the cover held fast with industrial strength velcro. There are four hooks on straps at the back and one grab rail strap. When you cinch down the draw string, the cover goes tight like a drum.

I have towed with the cover on through sideways rain and wind (a virtual monsoon). Boat was bone dry when I got home. I wouldn't own anything else at this point.

east tx skier
03-26-2014, 10:07 AM
JohnE, wow. That looks awesome. That looks exactly like what I want. Does he build covers for older boats custom? I want to get one for my 95

Yes. If he doesn't have a pattern, he will work with you based on measurements you take.

c_craig
03-26-2014, 10:10 AM
Brent just did my 93, so he can do older models, if he has the pattern. No poles, very slick, high quality cover.

c_craig
03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Pic attached...

SJ.
03-26-2014, 11:38 AM
Are Brent's covers made out of sunbrella? Mine would be in direct Colorado sun/other harsh conditions for about 5 months each summer.

JohnE
03-26-2014, 12:42 PM

He has patterns for most of the boats up to late 90's. Call or email him. Again I highly recommend their product. I had best communications via email. [email protected] (I assume it is a small "working" shop - they don't always answer the phone)

76S&S
03-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Not to threadjack but, whats everyone's thoughts on taking my current cover to a local shop and having them use it as a pattern for a new cover? And extend it to cover the platform and sides. (boat sits on a covered lift all year)

JPK
03-26-2014, 04:15 PM
www.skiboatcovers.com 10% sale going on until the end of the March.
I ordered mine back in February, custom made custom colors it was ready in 2 days.
Amazing work and it has a waterline option.

east tx skier
03-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Are Brent's covers made out of sunbrella? Mine would be in direct Colorado sun/other harsh conditions for about 5 months each summer.

Yes. Be sure to treat it annually with 303 "Fabric Guard." You might also consider going with a grey or more neutral color that doesn't look as faded when it fades.

VerdiRiverRat
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
So what are the selling points for I should spend $500 on a cover vs $200 or less?

FoggyNogginz
03-27-2014, 11:31 AM
I love my cover from skiboatcovers.com, and I have purchased three of them for three different boats. I prefer their covers because they cover all of the gelcoat on the side and the swim platform, which offers the best protection for a boat that spends a lot of time in the sun.

The argument to be made for a quality cover is simply better protection of your toy, better resale value for when you go buy another toy, and less fading, buffing, compounding, and vinyl replacing in the interim. Also a better cover will simply last longer, which means that you'll buy one cover every ten+ years instead of a new one every four years.

curver900
03-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Looking at a boat cover, all the same sunbrella, with swim platform cover, non waterline, the cost for one from skiboatcvers is $818 deliered, $860 from Brent, $512 from RNR. Does anyone know what the difference between them are? Is there something wrong with the ones from RNR? $300 bills is not something to sneeze at.

As far as I can tell they are all the same 10year warranty, color, specs...:confused:

russlars
03-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Those Coversports covers look awesome. How is the cover secured around the tower legs? Have you had it in a good rain storm? Is it tight enough to prevent pooling of water and does the fabric breathe well?

Whalenjf
03-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Very nice! Can I ask how much? (Great build thread btw! Boat turned out nice!!)

I'll PM you the price. Thank you for the compliment! It's been my favorite toy to date!

One thing I noticed is that my boat is the 225VRS (22' 8") version and looking at your profile picture it looks like you might have the 200VRS (20' ?"), which you would have to check with Brent to see if he has the template.

Those Coversports covers look awesome. How is the cover secured around the tower legs? Have you had it in a good rain storm? Is it tight enough to prevent pooling of water and does the fabric breathe well?

The cover cutouts have an elastic band sewn into them to cinch around the tower legs and then 2 nice zippers per tower leg, 1 horizontal to let the cover go around the tower leg, and 1 vertical to enclose the clip that connects rub rail cinch rope. I can get a better picture of it tonight when I get home haha.

It has held up great since I got it in December, and I feel like all it has done here in Virginia is rain and snow for the last 3 months:mad: I just moved to a new house last week and usually I throw a big tarp over the tower all the way down to the ground in snow storms, just to prevent snow pooling, but I didn't have the tarp with me when 2" of snow came down the other night and it's still bone dry inside :) It's been rained on a ton as well and it just beads up and rolls off. Here's a link to a video I found on another forum for how well the water beads and rolls off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_en6GuGgkU

russlars
03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Tell me about the cinch rope that goes around the rub rail. How do you tighten it? I'm used to the ratcheting cover. Additional pics would be great. Thanks.

JohnE
03-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Tell me about the cinch rope that goes around the rub rail. How do you tighten it? I'm used to the ratcheting cover. Additional pics would be great. Thanks.

I wish I could remember. I covered it 2 months ago and brought it back to the lake house for outdoor storage. What I can remember is that it is such a tight fit that I had to struggle a bit to get the cover over the rub rail at the transom. Once in place it fits like a glove. There were a few straps and connectors back there. I don't think they ratcheted though, but can't remember. someone will be along soon.

JohnE
03-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Looking at a boat cover, all the same sunbrella, with swim platform cover, non waterline, the cost for one from skiboatcvers is $818 deliered, $860 from Brent, $512 from RNR. Does anyone know what the difference between them are? Is there something wrong with the ones from RNR? $300 bills is not something to sneeze at.

As far as I can tell they are all the same 10year warranty, color, specs...:confused:

The one from Brent needs no tent pole and can be trailered. The quality is top notch. I don't know enough about the other two companies to comment.

east tx skier
03-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Okay, how it works is there are 4 to 5 large hooks on either side of the boat that hook under the rub rail. They Velcro to the underside of the cover. In the back, there are 4 hooks to the rub rail that tighten with straps. There is a center transom strap that goes around the grab rail and back to the cover. The cinch rope attaches in the rear to webbing that feeds through a turn buckle.

To put the cover on, start at the nose and roll back. Attach to the grab rail with the center strap. Then, go up and down each side and secure the side hooks under the rub rail. Next, go to the back, secure the four hooks under the rub rail and tighten them with the straps. Then, double check the straps to make sure everything is tight. Lastly, you pull the turnbuckle/ratchet strap attached to the cinch cord super tight, and wrap the loose strap up in the padded pouch. That's it.

russlars
03-27-2014, 10:20 PM
Okay, how it works is there are 4 to 5 large hooks on either side of the boat that hook under the rub rail. They Velcro to the underside of the cover. In the back, there are 4 hooks to the rub rail that tighten with straps. There is a center transom strap that goes around the grab rail and back to the cover. The cinch rope attaches in the rear to webbing that feeds through a turn buckle.

To put the cover on, start at the nose and roll back. Attach to the grab rail with the center strap. Then, go up and down each side and secure the side hooks under the rub rail. Next, go to the back, secure the four hooks under the rub rail and tighten them with the straps. Then, double check the straps to make sure everything is tight. Lastly, you pull the turnbuckle/ratchet strap attached to the cinch cord super tight, and wrap the loose strap up in the padded pouch. That's it.
Awesome. Thanks for the write up. Looks like a great cover. I've already been in touch with Brent and will probably be ordering one soon. Since I live in Washington I will probably take my boat up and have him measure for the tower cut outs.

curver900
03-28-2014, 10:47 AM
Well I am going to experiment and hopefully update my results here. I ordered a cover from RNR, it DOES NOT have tower cut outs, so I called a local canvas shop and was quoted $150 to add the cut outs, just bring in the boat and cover they will measure and then do that bit of work custom. So for $675 I can get a custom cover with swim deck covered as well. Sunbrella material, 10 year warrantee.

I did ask him what a custom cover would be with Sunbrella and he quoted me $950, he even agreed that the above was a pretty good deal.

east tx skier
03-28-2014, 05:19 PM
East Tx - beautiful boat!

Thank you. She turns 16 years old this year. Must remember to throw her a party and keep the boys away. ;)

macattack
05-31-2014, 10:09 PM

Hey Eastie, do you have any pics of the side hooks that attach to the rub rail; trying figure out how they attach without messing up the gelcoat.

Does anyone have this cover on a PS 197; can you eliminate the 3 support poles that come with the OEM cover; that would be a big time saver for daily usage...tks, mac

JohnE
06-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Hey Eastie, do you have any pics of the side hooks that attach to the rub rail; trying figure out how they attach without messing up the gelcoat.

Does anyone have this cover on a PS 197; can you eliminate the 3 support poles that come with the OEM cover; that would be a big time saver for daily usage...tks, mac

they are built into the cover and you just make sure they are under the rub rail before cinching tight so that they grab rub rail for added support. They are plastic and maybe 1/2" long L shape. And if you get this for the 197 it will not need support poles.

east tx skier
06-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Here you go. Mine may be different than John's. They are covered with the soft velcro material, which is how they attach to the cover (makes them adjustable as the cover stretches during its life). Gives them a little give against the gel coat. But the real reason it isn't scratching it is because it isn't moving. You are cinching these covers drum tight.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dpML-OItLUQ/U4tjqAfnuUI/AAAAAAAAHX4/v4ggdiZCZE0/w1358-h766-no/IMAG0118_1.jpg

macattack
06-08-2014, 04:21 PM
@ JohnE and Eastie, thanks for info & pics! mac

LaRue
12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I am looking for an outdoor storage cover that will be waterline for sure and possibly chine skirts. After pricing http://skiboatcovers.thecanvasshoppe.com/mastercraft with tower cutouts I am looking at $1000+. After reading this thread is Coversports still the best alternative. All I need to do is keep the elements off boat.

PineLakeRumble
01-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Anyone have any success with a boat cover manufacturer on the Canadian side of the border?

I need a cover for my 94 Prostar 190. The last cover I bought came from skiboatcovers.com and I loved it. Sadly, the cost of shipping/duty along with a weak Canadian dollar has got me looking for other options. I'm looking for a sunbrella waterline cover as the boat will be sitting on an uncovered lift all summer.

wheelerd
01-23-2015, 12:33 AM
I've purchased two covers -- one Sunbrella and one Sun-Dura -- from Ameri-Brand. Covers are made by Carver. Price is in the $600 range. One had the draw-string: my current one has the ratchet strap like the OEM cover. Great company, good service.