PDA

View Full Version : Slalom ski input

lentiman
03-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Hey all, I'd like to pick up a new or used slalom ski. I don't slalom ski, but want to give it a go. So I don't need a $2000 Radar but would like something quality up to intermediate level. Either dual boots or a front boot with a back slip in. I'm 6'3" and go up to 180 lbs and I wouldn't likely have anyone over 200 lbs on the ski ever. Anyone got a ski they want to sell me or can you give me buying advice?

This one is up for sale locally and seems like a good deal. But communication to pick it up has been a pain. They seem like they're doing me a favor to let me buy it. I don't like that.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/for/4381300530.html

Is this a decent ski or will it be too big. Thanks for the advice.

hos505
03-24-2014, 07:36 PM
You don't need a ski that long, go see Darren Wiley at Wileys in Seattle if you're near there and he will give you all the advise you need and a great ski.

atihanyi
03-24-2014, 07:37 PM
that's way too big .I have an 08 connelly concept with a front stoker boot and rear toe plate that is 67 inches long with large bindings I would sell you for 150.00 plus shipping . I would look for something like that or an H O triumph if mine doesn't interest you . E-bay is always a good source

hos505
03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Another great source for excellent new or used slalom skis and gear is ski-it-again.com

Hammer
03-24-2014, 07:42 PM
I think that ski would be fine for a beginner to intermediate recreational ski. If you progress further it would make a good "Boat" ski also. Be sure to check out Ski it again. Lots of used and new skies there to choose from. There are a few other places to check I have heard about for new like ski warehouse.

waterlogged882
03-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Hey all, I'd like to pick up a new or used slalom ski. I don't slalom ski, but want to give it a go. So I don't need a $2000 Radar but would like something quality up to intermediate level. Either dual boots or a front boot with a back slip in. I'm 6'3" and go up to 180 lbs and I wouldn't likely have anyone over 200 lbs on the ski ever. Anyone got a ski they want to sell me or can you give me buying advice?

This one is up for sale locally and seems like a good deal. But communication to pick it up has been a pain. They seem like they're doing me a favor to let me buy it. I don't like that.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/for/4381300530.html

Is this a decent ski or will it be too big. Thanks for the advice.As stated... too long... May be the deal you're looking for but a 71" ski will only hinder your skiing....You're looking for a 67" ski at 180 lbs.

lentiman
03-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. Atihanyi, can you shoot me some pics of the ski? Does it have a bag to go with it? I'll also check out that website but your Concept sounds pretty good to me.

that's way too big .I have an 08 connelly concept with a front stoker boot and rear toe plate that is 67 inches long with large bindings I would sell you for 150.00 plus shipping . I would look for something like that or an H O triumph if mine doesn't interest you . E-bay is always a good source

atihanyi
03-24-2014, 09:52 PM
I will get a picture tomorrow . I do have case for it

ColoradoSkier
03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
If you're looking for something new, you can get into a pretty basic ski and boot package for around $400-500. I decided to retire my old HO CDX and get a HO Freeride and Attack boot setup. All in for around $500 for something that is state of the art that I'll enjoy for the next 5-10 years. I'm looking forward to skiing this winter more than I have in 15 years.

ncsucarjock88
03-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Look in the waterski forum. I just got a brand new ski and bindings from Wakehouse.com for under $500. And the ski is a Radar Theory - supposed to be a good to great intermediate ski... Also got full bindings front and rear...

They were a lot cheaper than ski-it-again...

davidstan
03-25-2014, 06:00 AM
I am putting my Radar P6 on Ski it Again soon for 95.00 plus shipping. It is a 2010 that I bought new in 2012 used one season and moved up to a F1x. It is a beg/intermed level ski. 69 inches long no bindings included. PM if interested. David

bturner2
03-25-2014, 06:41 AM
That Radar P6 above is a great ski at a killer price. Might be a bit long but for a beginner it certainly wouldn't hurt for deep water starts. The trend these days is going back to the longer skis even in the professional circuit. IMO at 180 - 190 the 67 is the sweet spot, at 200 being a beginner you'd probably be more comfortable with the 69.

Only bad part about buying used skis is the shipping. Moving large boxes across the country can be cost prohibitive.

RadarDad
03-25-2014, 07:27 AM
First thing, Radar's high end skies are still cheaper than everyone else. That being said go with the Theory level ski. If you look in the water sports section a new skier got a new set up for a great price. The most important thing is to go skiing and love it like the rest of us.

Roger

JohnE
03-25-2014, 07:31 AM
Another vote to call Wiley's. The will get you on the right ski, and you can get their bindings which are just what you'll want IMO.

SpokaneSkier
03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Go to Wileys....the right ski and an education on why. Worth the extra time and the new appreciation for waterskiing! They will take great care of you.

lentiman
03-25-2014, 11:15 AM
I have a difficult time making it to Wiley's due to their location and hours of operation, even though when I drive in to work I basically pass them. It's a great shop for sure and I've been there before. It always seems weird to see skis in other parts of the country with Wiley bindings.