PDA

View Full Version : Put my boat in the water and found a few issues HELP!

elislife
03-22-2014, 08:17 PM
So first off I want to say I am amazed by how well this boat drives and handles. Not a drop of water came into the boat. She went 42 miles an hour with no problem, the new OJ 14.75x15.5 prop drives like a champ.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/utu5u7ez.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/ezu7ajet.jpg

Have a few more pictures will upload soon.
Now for the bad part...

My perfect pass works, I hear it when I push the buttons and when it's on it slows down my boat. The screen however does not, does anybody know how to fix this?

Front bilge shows it's on, but does not pump water out.
Aft bilge won't even turn on.

Yes, there was water in it, my brothers 05 X30 gets no water in it, yet my other brother has an 06 X30 and water does build up inside.
Is this just an 06 thing? Or is there something wrong? He thinks he has a leak somewhere but I doubt that.

When I put the volume up past 20 half of the speakers cut in and out...
I'm thinking it's because there is only one battery and two powerful amplifiers? Need to install Perko switch (already purchased it just don't know how to wire it up)

Other than that, boat is amazing I am beyond happy with my purchase and very happy about listening to you guys on here and buying an X2/200SS. So thanks guys, just need some help figuring these problems out?

Don't mind the guy in the picture lol that's my friend on another friends boat. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/paha8a2a.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/23/9evehuje.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
03-22-2014, 08:21 PM
Sometimes the bilge hose gets clogged up. I put the garden hose to the pump outlet and backflush it. Of course make sure the pump is turning on before bothering to do this.

Duane D
03-22-2014, 08:23 PM
I had the same problem with my PP screen. Perfect Pass admit that year was a poor design with the screen and they will gladly sell you another screen and a new chip for the computer(so the display is not upside down). I did mine last season and if solved that problem.

Sounds like your bilge pumps are burnt up, or stopped up with gunk after sitting. My front one didn't work when I bought my boat and the rear one died last season too, so I just replaced them both.

I can't help with the amp/speakers question, I font know anything about that stuff.

Your boat looks awesome with that flake!

elislife
03-22-2014, 08:31 PM
I had the same problem with my PP screen. Perfect Pass admit that year was a poor design with the screen and they will gladly sell you another screen and a new chip for the computer(so the display is not upside down). I did mine last season and if solved that problem.

Sounds like your bilge pumps are burnt up, or stopped up with gunk after sitting. My front one didn't work when I bought my boat and the rear one died last season too, so I just replaced them both.

I can't help with the amp/speakers question, I font know anything about that stuff.

Your boat looks awesome with that flake!

Wish the flake would be visible in the pictures! On the water it's something else man I love it!

I will most likely replace both pumps and clear the hoses but how much does the Perfect Pass screen and computer run?

kevkan
03-22-2014, 08:53 PM
When my PP is exposed to rain, it won't display. It comes back on when it dries out.

elislife
03-22-2014, 08:55 PM
When my PP is exposed to rain, it won't display. It comes back on when it dries out.

Could be true, cuz if I'm not mistaken I remember it working when I bought the boat.
How long does it usually take?

Duane D
03-22-2014, 09:38 PM

Thus is what mine was doing exactly. I got tired of it not working after a rain so I replaced. I think it was just short of $300 but I would have to check to be sure.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Wish the flake would be visible in the pictures! On the water it's something else man I love it!

I will most likely replace both pumps and clear the hoses but how much does the Perfect Pass screen and computer run?

Flake is very difficult to capture well. You need to have the sun behind you and have just the right angle. Best to practice while it is in your driveway and learn the angles.

mzimme
03-22-2014, 09:56 PM
My PP screen will take a while to come back on as well if I leave the boat out for a night and its humid, and causes condensation. Usually takes a couple hours of the sun beating on it and it comes back to life. Only happens in high humidity situations though.

Regarding your bilge pumps, can you hear the turn on at all? Have you checked fuses? You should be able to hear those run... try turning them on when your boat is sitting on the trailer, you'll hear them if they're working.

elislife
03-22-2014, 10:52 PM
My PP screen will take a while to come back on as well if I leave the boat out for a night and its humid, and causes condensation. Usually takes a couple hours of the sun beating on it and it comes back to life. Only happens in high humidity situations though.

Regarding your bilge pumps, can you hear the turn on at all? Have you checked fuses? You should be able to hear those run... try turning them on when your boat is sitting on the trailer, you'll hear them if they're working.

So the front one turns on I hear it and the switch lights up... The rear one doesn't turn on and the light doesn't either I'm assuming that ones a fuse.

bturner2
03-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Perfect Pass
I went through my Email receipts from PP and saw that after calling PP and explaining my issue they offered me the display for $190 and free shipping. That was back in August of 2011, not sure what their position on the replacement would be now. Great Lakes Skipper is showing a white one on Ebay for $205 with free shipping. I'm told they will deal if you call them directly but I have not personally bought anything from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTERCRAFT-PERFECTPASS-SILVER-MULTI-FUNCTION-BOAT-DIGITAL-DISPLAY-GAUGE-/141022140585?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item20d59318a9&vxp=mtr

Water Intrusion
My 07 X2 leaks too but not that bad and I notice it most after skiing so I'm sure some of it is the water people are bringing into the boat after being in the water. I know we spill a lot of water when filling sacks for surfing however I'm pretty sure the majority still has to be coming from elsewhere.
I've been slowly stemming the flow as I've tracked down the leaks these past couple years. The first one I found was the plastic drain plug in the hull by the front pump. The plastic plug strips fairly easy so I replaced it with the bronze version we've all known and loved from our older MCs. The second was the rudder port. Not sure which rudder port the SS uses but 4 years of pumping grease into mine seems to be helping here. On my rudder box there is a seal you can replace but I've been to lazy to take the time to replace it. Another place to check is the dripless shaft seal on the prop shaft. These can leak if the surfaces of the seal get dirty.

Stereo
Had the same problem with mine when I had a marginal battery. I went to higher capacity Blue Tops and did a dual battery install and haven't had a problem since. Here's the link to my install....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29889

Another thing to look at
Assuming you have ballast tanks, you may want to check how the pumps are mounted. Mine were mounted with the pump over the electric motor. This was changed in later years as if the pump stared leaking it would leak into the electric motor and tear up the bearing causing the entire pump to fail. It's a pretty easy job to flip the rear two pumps and mount the pump assembly with the motors on top of the pump heads. doing so now will same you some buck down the road.
If your pumps are making noise you may be able to rebuild them as one of the members has found and is selling the pump parts on his website.

X25John
03-23-2014, 08:48 AM
I just wish it would get warm enough to even consider boating here. Flake is awesome and you will get many compliments, extremely hard to capture in pictures.

Kweisner
03-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Rear Bilge
First check the circuit breaker. If tripped, naturally it won't run, nor will the switch light up. After resetting, turn on switch and watch it carefully as you do. If it lights up momentarily or a few seconds then at least you know it is getting power. If the light does goes out, that means the breaker is tripped again. In that case, it's often that the motor is either stuck or seized, and that trips the breaker. Stuck motors occur when they haven't operated for a while or there is just debris/gunk that has settled. Could just need to be manually unstuck and then may continue to work just fine after that.

I highly recommend the dual battery install. I use the automatic relay method vs. a manual switch, but they accomplish the same thing. Plenty of accesory power and not getting stuck with a dead cranking battery after floating with the music on!

Beautiful boat--congratulations

elislife
03-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Perfect Pass

I went through my Email receipts from PP and saw that after calling PP and explaining my issue they offered me the display for $190 and free shipping. That was back in August of 2011, not sure what their position on the replacement would be now. Great Lakes Skipper is showing a white one on Ebay for $205 with free shipping. I'm told they will deal if you call them directly but I have not personally bought anything from them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTERCRAFT-PERFECTPASS-SILVER-MULTI-FUNCTION-BOAT-DIGITAL-DISPLAY-GAUGE-/141022140585?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item20d59318a9&vxp=mtr

Water Intrusion

My 07 X2 leaks too but not that bad and I notice it most after skiing so I'm sure some of it is the water people are bringing into the boat after being in the water. I know we spill a lot of water when filling sacks for surfing however I'm pretty sure the majority still has to be coming from elsewhere.

I've been slowly stemming the flow as I've tracked down the leaks these past couple years. The first one I found was the plastic drain plug in the hull by the front pump. The plastic plug strips fairly easy so I replaced it with the bronze version we've all known and loved from our older MCs. The second was the rudder port. Not sure which rudder port the SS uses but 4 years of pumping grease into mine seems to be helping here. On my rudder box there is a seal you can replace but I've been to lazy to take the time to replace it. Another place to check is the dripless shaft seal on the prop shaft. These can leak if the surfaces of the seal get dirty.

Stereo

Had the same problem with mine when I had a marginal battery. I went to higher capacity Blue Tops and did a dual battery install and haven't had a problem since. Here's the link to my install....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29889

Another thing to look at

Assuming you have ballast tanks, you may want to check how the pumps are mounted. Mine were mounted with the pump over the electric motor. This was changed in later years as if the pump stared leaking it would leak into the electric motor and tear up the bearing causing the entire pump to fail. It's a pretty easy job to flip the rear two pumps and mount the pump assembly with the motors on top of the pump heads. doing so now will same you some buck down the road.

If your pumps are making noise you may be able to rebuild them as one of the members has found and is selling the pump parts on his website.

Awesome thanks for all the help dude! I will check all those things when I get back home!

elislife
03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
I just wish it would get warm enough to even consider boating here. Flake is awesome and you will get many compliments, extremely hard to capture in pictures.

Definitely wasn't warm enough yesterday, but it was bearable and my youngest brother did go into the water and surfed. Boat put out an awesome surf wave, could be better once I put in the piggyback setup from wakemakers.

elislife
03-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Rear Bilge
First check the circuit breaker. If tripped, naturally it won't run, nor will the switch light up. After resetting, turn on switch and watch it carefully as you do. If it lights up momentarily or a few seconds then at least you know it is getting power. If the light does goes out, that means the breaker is tripped again. In that case, it's often that the motor is either stuck or seized, and that trips the breaker. Stuck motors occur when they haven't operated for a while or there is just debris/gunk that has settled. Could just need to be manually unstuck and then may continue to work just fine after that.

I highly recommend the dual battery install. I use the automatic relay method vs. a manual switch, but they accomplish the same thing. Plenty of accesory power and not getting stuck with a dead cranking battery after floating with the music on!

Beautiful boat--congratulations

Thanks a lot and I will put in an additional battery this week sometime and have cleared the front motor and that one is fine now. Gotta do the rest and it'll all be fine.

snork
03-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Do you have the under floor ballast tanks?

elislife
03-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Do you have the under floor ballast tanks?

I do. But I don't think they're leaking at all.

Skyskiguy
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Does the leaking boat have a heater? If so, trace supply and return hoses between the engine and the core while the boat is running to be sure no leaks anywhere in the system. First hand experience with that one - my leak was at a hose to barb fitting at the heater core.

elislife
03-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Does the leaking boat have a heater? If so, trace supply and return hoses between the engine and the core while the boat is running to be sure no leaks anywhere in the system. First hand experience with that one - my leak was at a hose to barb fitting at the heater core.

My boat doesnot have a heater, but my brothers boat does.

rgardjr1
03-24-2014, 10:44 AM
I replaced both bilge pumps in mine. I realized neither were working after the first weekend with the boat. Salt water is pretty tough on those pumps.