PDA

View Full Version : Evolution/Coversports vs Locally Made

chrison600
03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Hi all,

I posted late last year a couple of times looking for advice on a new cover and received some excellent feedback. My original desire was to get an Evolution/Coversports cover, but Evolution didn't have a pattern for a 2001 X-Star and Coversports had the ProStar 205V but not with a tower. I ended up buying a Carver custom cover that was supposed to be made to fit my boat. That turned out to be a disaster.

After several months of back and forth, I've returned that cover and I'm back out looking again. I've reviewed my old posts here on Team Talk and would like to know whether you would advise me to have a local shop (reputable) make up a new cover for me, or work with Evolution or Coversports to make one up.

My holdup on the Evolution/Coversports options is that they do not have actual '01 X-Star patterns. Coversport would have to ship me a 205V and have me mark the tower cutouts. Not too difficult, but not ideal. Similarly, my holdup on the Evolution is that they would have to find a local (Washington state) X-Star or 205V to start with. I'm not even sure they could find one.

The local guy has a good reputation, but would make more of a traditional cover with poles, etc. He also says to have a towable cover I'd need to use Sharkskin not Sunbrella, and I'd rather have a Sunbrella because it's breathable.

I know this is an old boat, so I understand the difficulty in finding a ready to go cover. After the Carver experience I'm not so sure anyone really makes a "custom fit" cover for this boat without actually having it to work on.

Finally, the current cover is equipped with snaps around the rub rail perimeter. I like using them because I don't have to deal with the segmented cinch strap, etc. The local guy doesn't really like snaps, but will reuse them if I want. Should I just give up on not having to deal with a cinch strap regardless of the option I choose? The Evolution/Coversports will require that...

Thanks everyone,

Chris

scott023
03-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi all,

I posted late last year a couple of times looking for advice on a new cover and received some excellent feedback. My original desire was to get an Evolution/Coversports cover, but Evolution didn't have a pattern for a 2001 X-Star and Coversports had the ProStar 205V but not with a tower. I ended up buying a Carver custom cover that was supposed to be made to fit my boat. That turned out to be a disaster.

After several months of back and forth, I've returned that cover and I'm back out looking again. I've reviewed my old posts here on Team Talk and would like to know whether you would advise me to have a local shop (reputable) make up a new cover for me, or work with Evolution or Coversports to make one up.

My holdup on the Evolution/Coversports options is that they do not have actual '01 X-Star patterns. Coversport would have to ship me a 205V and have me mark the tower cutouts. Not too difficult, but not ideal. Similarly, my holdup on the Evolution is that they would have to find a local (Washington state) X-Star or 205V to start with. I'm not even sure they could find one.

The local guy has a good reputation, but would make more of a traditional cover with poles, etc. He also says to have a towable cover I'd need to use Sharkskin not Sunbrella, and I'd rather have a Sunbrella because it's breathable.

I know this is an old boat, so I understand the difficulty in finding a ready to go cover. After the Carver experience I'm not so sure anyone really makes a "custom fit" cover for this boat without actually having it to work on.

Finally, the current cover is equipped with snaps around the rub rail perimeter. I like using them because I don't have to deal with the segmented cinch strap, etc. The local guy doesn't really like snaps, but will reuse them if I want. Should I just give up on not having to deal with a cinch strap regardless of the option I choose? The Evolution/Coversports will require that...

Thanks everyone,

Chris

Local guy, IMO. Take you boat, leave it with them and get exactly what you're looking for. That's what I did, and the new cover is beyond my expectations.

Bruce-ActionWater
03-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Check out skiboatcover.com. I am a dealer for his covers. He has patterns for every MC ever made. He has been making cover for us since the 80's.

CruisinGA
03-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Check out skiboatcover.com. I am a dealer for his covers. He has patterns for every MC ever made. He has been making cover for us since the 80's.

Domain is for sale?

chrison600
03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Domain is for sale?

He forgot the "s". It's skiboatcovers.com

Chris

Bruce-ActionWater
03-21-2014, 02:15 PM
He forgot the "s". It's skiboatcovers.com

Chris

Opps, sorry!! skiboatcovers.com

JohnE
03-21-2014, 02:53 PM
All I can say is that I just bought a coversport and the product is top notch. Granted I don't have a tower. I highly recommend them. If they feel they can do it accurately with you marking the tower cut outs then I would not hesitate to use them.

hondaprlud
03-21-2014, 03:58 PM
I went with a local guy and couldn't be happier. I was apprehensive at first, I even asked on here if anyone had used him, but couldn't get the endorsement I was looking for. After talking to him on the phone, I decided to try him anyway. YMMV but it worked very well for me. Plus if i recall my local guy was a lot cheaper.
I've heard coversports product is great though.

bturner2
03-21-2014, 04:16 PM
X2 on skiboatcovers.com. fourth year still looks great.

east tx skier
03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
If you want a towable cover, go with coversports. If you don't care about towing with it, go local or with skiboatcovers.com.

Indyxc
03-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Pretty much everyone on the malibu forums raves about evolution. The guy is apparently top notch. Downside as you mentioned is he will need to get the pattern.