PDA

View Full Version : NXT video

MA190
03-20-2014, 02:28 PM
MasterCraft just released the first pictures of the NXT. I just got the email from the factory.

http://www.mastercraft.com/WHATSNXT

ttu
03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
i just got the email also.

very interesting video.

MC25
03-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Looking pretty sweet!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Sure looks like they are doing this right. :toast:

bjen
03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Zero off, ballast, color screen, 5 year warranty-doesnt seem to be as stripped down as I thought-getting interesting...
not sure about the tower.....

scott023
03-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Some big "pros" there, for sure.

mlawler34
03-20-2014, 05:01 PM
I am in the market they are targeting 100%. I fell into my 04 Xstar at a good price point and I may consider something like this if the price is right and it makes sense.

501s
03-20-2014, 05:33 PM
I can't see a reason to hate on that boat so far. I like a lot about it. And it actually looks pretty good too.

willyt
03-20-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm certainly impressed

LittleFuss
03-20-2014, 06:09 PM
cant wait to see one.

Gunford
03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
They said on Facebook you could offer other towers.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Gunford
03-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Order other towers

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

moleson10
03-20-2014, 07:17 PM
It will be interesting to see how this evolves. It's a smart marketing decision. If the execution is good it will be a big success. I'm skeptical about the $50k price though. I hope its true for the sake of many potential buyers.

lashburn1
03-20-2014, 07:43 PM
I like it. Good for MC for keeping the Name in there....

Ryan
03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised to see a cooler, hinged air dam, MFD vs gauges and TRACKING FINS (nice to see those coming back across the line). Young crew at MC now. The COO looks younger than me.

ttu
03-20-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised to see a cooler, hinged air dam, MFD vs gauges and TRACKING FINS (nice to see those coming back across the line). Young crew at MC now. The COO looks younger than me.

ryan, I will agree with you 100%! I also could not believe the hinged seats and the cooler along with the digital display. love the manual ballast to.

should be a huge seller if the wake is good. oh and the tracking fins, heck my x2 doesn't have them!(((

Mastercraft13
03-20-2014, 08:39 PM
What I would like to know is where are they saving 30K+ vs what we have? You can see a few things but I'm just trying to figure it out.

Nick911
03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
If they keep the price as low as they say, that is, to compete with Moomba, Axis, etc...they will sell a ton of these. And they are right, capture the buyers today then sell them an Xseries in a couple of years.

dt37803
03-20-2014, 09:03 PM
simple upholstery, smaller fiberglass swim, didn't see cupholders , one piece windshield, ss rub rail, glove box, lift off cushions on cooler, there are more differences that we take for granted in our x series boats but still looks like they are trying really hard to meet the market head on.

Ryan
03-20-2014, 09:17 PM
ryan, I will agree with you 100%! I also could not believe the hinged seats and the cooler along with the digital display. love the manual ballast to.

should be a huge seller if the wake is good. oh and the tracking fins, heck my x2 doesn't have them!(((

Good point on the hinged spotter's seat. I suppose I didn't expect that either vs my X1 but have become so accustomed to seeing them.

Ryan
03-20-2014, 09:30 PM
What I would like to know is where are they saving 30K+ vs what we have? You can see a few things but I'm just trying to figure it out.

I think it's all about options and through-put.

Here's where I see COGS savings of things in the spendy X boats:
Tower hardware (springs, clamping racks) much more complex touch screen hardware & software in the MFD & assoc wiring harnesses, labor for custom gel/setup time/more time in mold, chopper gun means lower labor (unconfirmed but fine with me) , flipping rear seat hardware, billet glove box lid, steering wheel, trailer details, & more surely to come. That feels like $30k to me with a little margin tug to make up in volume.

I suspect there are more option costs that haven't been shown yet that come standard on a X boat.

snork
03-20-2014, 09:39 PM
chopper gun glass hull is whats rumored, that'll save a few bucks
stereo, swivel racks, two color hull, gen2, tower speakers, bimini. trailer are extra
$70-75K for optioned out NXT

MC25
03-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Aerator pumps for ballast also

TN X-45
03-20-2014, 09:49 PM
All of the billet too

TN X-45
03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Surprised they went with the display and not analog gauges!

Jerseydave
03-20-2014, 09:54 PM
chopper gun glass hull is whats rumored, that'll save a few bucks
stereo, swivel racks, two color hull, gen2, tower speakers, bimini. trailer are extra
$70-75K for optioned out NXT

Well I hope they don't use a chopper gun like Bayliner, that would make no sense. Perhaps less layers of glass but still laid by hand?
With options and a trailer like you listed above that seems reasonable, and I hope it's true otherwise our used X-series boats won't hold their value as before.

Supra and Malibu have their entry level line, glad MC has one now too.
(Heck, even Mercedes and BMW have entry level models)

atihanyi
03-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Nice to see its got a dashboard in it now

gweaver
03-20-2014, 11:42 PM
I like everything they've shown in the video, although I'd prefer a traditional set of gauges rather than the digital display. In my mind, I think the digital dash should be an option while the trailer and/or bimini should be standard. Or at least I'd be willing to trade the dash for one of the above. I'm really looking forward to seeing what features are standard and what's optional. I'd like a very basic boat, with just a few comforts added in. I don't need a booming stereo, so I'd just do my own thing with 4-6 cabin speakers, an amp and head unit (depending on what MC would charge), I'd need a basic tandem trailer and a bimini, and that's probably about it as far as accessories. Maybe a cover, too.

Retoxtony
03-21-2014, 12:02 AM
I like the fact thats it doesnt have all the complex electronics that so many of the newer boats have. That should really help keep the cost down as well as there being a lot less stuff to go wrong. Looks like they still managed to make it a pretty nice boat with decent upholstery and other things you'd expect from MC. I think they'll do well in selling this boat as long as they really do keep the price down. On that, i'm very skeptical. I can't help but think this will still end up being a 80-90k boat in Canada by the time you add a few options and our taxes. Even if its 65-70k that puts you into reach of some pretty nice used boats like X25's or 30's.

sand2snow22
03-21-2014, 02:38 AM
I like it, is the beam really 5" less than the prostar?

g-mantrix
03-21-2014, 03:41 AM
So I'm told we will see two dealer NXT boats at our Melbourne boat show in June, will definitely be keen to see, and what 50k converts to landed here in Aus.
Only bummer for me is the beam dimension of 91", but I will reserve my opinion until I see one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g-mantrix
03-21-2014, 04:09 AM
But I think it looks great and I like it

dt37803
03-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Surprised they went with the display and not analog gauges!

Younger generation grew up with electronics. It would be there generations expectation to have an electronic display , everything in their lives was electronic from coffee pots to watches to phones and tv.;)

Retoxtony
03-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Younger generation grew up with electronics. It would be there generations expectation to have an electronic display , everything in their lives was electronic from coffee pots to watches to phones and tv.;)

Personally i'd rather see it with normal analog guages. Keep the cost down and easier/cheaper to fix. I'd think on a "budget" boat they would make a touchscreen an option, not standard.

I missed the part about the boat having a 91" beam. Thats pretty small, and a little disappointing.

soacj
03-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Personally i'd rather see it with normal analog guages. Keep the cost down and easier/cheaper to fix. I'd think on a "budget" boat they would make a touchscreen an option, not standard.

I missed the part about the boat having a 91" beam. Thats pretty small, and a little disappointing.

I bet we're at the point where that digital display (doesn't appear to be a touchscreen) is as cheap, if not cheaper, than a full set of analog gauges.

That being said, I think I'd also prefer analog gauges.

Ryan
03-21-2014, 08:45 AM

I'm not sure servo driven analog gauges would be a cost savings vs that simple display. Mechanical and air gauges like the early 90's boats, maybe but that's off target.

mzimme
03-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I think it looks great. The only complaint I'd have at this point is the 91" beam. That's going to get pretty tight if you're out with a full crew of 11 people. My boat's beam is a 95" beam, and with 10 people and a cooler, it's tight. It's doable, but that's a pretty narrow boat... almost like the 205v (not sure the exact width of that boat). I know they're probably making as much use of the space as possible, by having thinner gunwales and all of that, but why not make it at least an 8' beam?

Are there any other modern wakeboats that are that skinny?

MC25
03-21-2014, 10:38 AM
From a wakeboarding standpoint, I like the narrow beam. Easier to slam, easier to store, and cheaper to run. Also, getting the x15 in and out of storage was a bit*h because of the strange width on the trailer. Also, don't like going out with a lot of people, so a small boat would solve that problem quick.

For someone graduating college next year, I am very excited about this boat being in my realm of possibility within a few years. With all that is standard, I am very excited about this boat.

moleson10
03-21-2014, 11:31 AM
I bet we're at the point where that digital display (doesn't appear to be a touchscreen) is as cheap, if not cheaper, than a full set of analog gauges.

That being said, I think I'd also prefer analog gauges.

I'm thinking the same thing. The cost of flat screens is so low now that it's cheaper than individual gauges.

91" beam takes me back to my ski boat days. It will probably feel wider inside but man, that's small. I hope its a Cadillac ATS and not a Cimarron.

Retoxtony
03-21-2014, 11:57 AM
So if its a 20' boat with a 91" beam i don't understand why they wouldnt just bring back the old 205 hull. I believe thats 20'7" long and 90" wide so its pretty similar in size. Its still one of the best crossover hulls out there and i'm sure it would sell like hotcakes. I don't know how many times i've heard on this site they should bring it back, so this would have been a great opportunity. Plus they could have saved a pile of R&D money by using a old proven hull, thus keeping the cost down even more.

snork
03-21-2014, 12:40 PM
The X1 was discontinued due to Ilmor having trouble fitting in the engine bay so MC says
MC had offered the X1 as an entry level, low cost budget boat but there was little interest in it
Out with the old and in with the new

bobx1
03-21-2014, 01:40 PM
The X1 was discontinued due to Ilmor having trouble fitting in the engine bay so MC says
MC had offered the X1 as an entry level, low cost budget boat but there was little interest in it
Out with the old and in with the new

I could be wrong but....

1. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51751

Not sure the story on the above but does not look like a shade tree guy shoved it in there.

2. When they discontinued the X1, it was pushing $65k+ nicely equipped plus the great recession was in full swing.

Not arguing with your assessment/comments.....

Am curious as to the financial and marketing thought process of coming out with the NXT vs. bringing the X1 hull out of retirement. Maybe they will come out with more NXT models?

02ProstarSammyD
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
So if its a 20' boat with a 91" beam i don't understand why they wouldnt just bring back the old 205 hull. I believe thats 20'7" long and 90" wide so its pretty similar in size. Its still one of the best crossover hulls out there and i'm sure it would sell like hotcakes. I don't know how many times i've heard on this site they should bring it back, so this would have been a great opportunity. Plus they could have saved a pile of R&D money by using a old proven hull, thus keeping the cost down even more.

agree but wasn't the rumor that the new hull was a new prostar failure hull? Wouldn't be as much r&d anyways

MC25
03-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Im guessing there will be other sizes of the boat, since it says "nxt 20" on the side. Well at least im hoping!

mikeg205
03-22-2014, 11:13 AM
nice way to bring back manual controls.... next we need the NXT Prostar ;)

Jerseydave
03-22-2014, 08:34 PM
nice way to bring back manual controls.... next we need the NXT Prostar ;)

They already came out with it.....it's called a '94 Prostar 190 powerslot! :D

Jerseydave
03-22-2014, 08:39 PM
See, here it is! 107939

Ryan
03-22-2014, 10:56 PM
See, here it is! 107939

Clever wrap! Who made that?

JMLVMI
03-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Clever wrap! Who made that?

Not a wrap, it was auto paint + clear. The guy who did it commented on Facebook.

MC25
03-23-2014, 12:39 AM
agree but wasn't the rumor that the new hull was a new prostar failure hull? Wouldn't be as much r&d anyways

No, completely new design. I at least never heard that one

Ryan
03-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Not a wrap, it was auto paint + clear. The guy who did it commented on Facebook.

Looks like a great option for some of color trends that were more popular back then than they are now :)

Tristar Racing
03-24-2014, 11:23 PM

I read/heard that too. Easiest way to back up that rumor? The 91" beam that is more similar to a ski boat design than a modern wakeboarding design...

As an x1 owner, I really like what I see out of the nxt thus far.

Ryan
03-25-2014, 07:57 AM
I read/heard that too. Easiest way to back up that rumor? The 91" beam that is more similar to a ski boat design than a modern wakeboarding design...

As an x1 owner, I really like what I see out of the nxt thus far.

Once upon a time many people favored narrow hulls because those boats took less weight to get good wakes. Perhaps there is reason to the narrow madness that people seem shocked by. I do hope MC put a lot into wake development on this boat.

craig3972
03-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Maybe be thats why my 2006 xstar transom below the water line looks like a big box was tacked onto the hull - it looks like a 1998 slalom boat down down there.

MC25
03-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Once upon a time many people favored narrow hulls because those boats took less weight to get good wakes. Perhaps there is reason to the narrow madness that people seem shocked by. I do hope MC put a lot into wake development on this boat.

Agree. I don't have very many friends anyways, so narrow doesn't bother me. Lol

g-mantrix
05-04-2014, 04:57 AM
Update from MC Australia on FB
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/uha7e7ag.jpg

WakeRider107
05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Has no one addressed the claim that their base 5.7L 320 hp engine is 30 hp more than competitors? Who runs a 290hp engine?

FourFourty
05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Has no one addressed the claim that their base 5.7L 320 hp engine is 30 hp more than competitors? Who runs a 290hp engine?

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2013/sime/u-w-011-0059.pdf

210kw is only about 280hp.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2013/sime/u-w-018-0010-1.pdf

Indmar and PCM rate engines in test trim. Ilmore rates following SAE guidelines. (All belt drivin accessories installed and cat manifolds) C.A.R.B reviews engines following SAE guidelines. The others are technically overrated if basing on SAE guidelines.

WakeRider107
05-04-2014, 06:20 PM
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2013/sime/u-w-011-0059.pdf

210kw is only about 280hp.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/eo/2013/sime/u-w-018-0010-1.pdf

Indmar and PCM rate engines in test trim. Ilmore rates following SAE guidelines. (All belt drivin accessories installed and cat manifolds) C.A.R.B reviews engines following SAE guidelines. The others are technically overrated if basing on SAE guidelines.

That's pretty much what I figured. But even car manufactures advertise brake horsepower, wonder why ilmor doesn't

FourFourty
05-04-2014, 06:37 PM
That's pretty much what I figured. But even car manufactures advertise brake horsepower, wonder why ilmor doesn't

Car companies rate on brake horsepower following SAE guidelines as well. Same way as Ilmore. Indmar, PCM, etc. measure brake horsepower without running any belt driven accessories (alternator, water pump, raw water pump etc), and also use tubular manifolds without cats. This was the common practice of all marine engine manufacturers since the beginning. Car manufacturers used to do it as well, until SAE set up guidelines for rating in the auto industry. They don't have to rate at the wheels, but they have to rate with all the belt driven equipment and correct exhaust in place at the time of testing bhp.

WakeRider107
05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Car companies rate on brake horsepower following SAE guidelines as well. Same way as Ilmore. Indmar, PCM, etc. measure brake horsepower without running any belt driven accessories (alternator, water pump, raw water pump etc), and also use tubular manifolds without cats. This was the common practice of all marine engine manufacturers since the beginning. Car manufacturers used to do it as well, until SAE set up guidelines for rating in the auto industry. They don't have to rate at the wheels, but they have to rate with all the belt driven equipment and correct exhaust in place at the time of testing bhp.

Thanks for the clarification!

gweaver
05-05-2014, 12:22 PM
Update from MC Australia on FB
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/uha7e7ag.jpg

WOW!! I really like the blue/grey and orange/grey color schemes!! Can't see much of the interior, but I have a feeling the interior will look pretty good as well. I like!!
G

Morety
05-05-2014, 02:15 PM
On Facebook Mastercraft just posted that it will be officially released tomorrow at 11am Eastern.

Jeff d
05-05-2014, 04:08 PM
I like that this "starting at $50k" boat is designed for those who "don't have much disposable income". Ha! I wish I had so little disposable income that I could get a $50k boat!

I agree on the "analog" gauges. I'm 34 and very tech savvy and simple is better for these types of things especially when there's no real functionality gained by integrating and making everything electronic. You can get a decent 6 gauge set in the aftermarket for $170 and that's retail. MasterCraft could get them cheaper so I'm sure they cannot buy an integrated touch screen "digital dash" for less than that.

Make the hull and the interior materials high end like any MasterCraft product so it looks modern but go back to the basics for everything else and use common, off the shelf, hardware wherever possible to lower both manufacturing and maintenance costs. I need a boat to buy used in 2025 and I don't want it to have a computer that controls everything that has failed and is also discontinued.

Ryan
07-21-2014, 11:08 PM
Here's a new video from Redline of the ski, wb and surf wakes. Slalom doesn't look too far off from my X1, but not as good as Zane made it sound.

http://youtu.be/2hguZbTXihE