PDA

View Full Version : Throttle reversed my boat goes the wrong way!!!

bssteven
03-18-2014, 06:29 PM
I just picked up my 2005 x2 from having the throttle assy and mono valve replaced and the boat goes opposite. When I push the throttle forward it goes in reverse and when I pull the lever backwards the boat goes forwards.
Any ideas what they did wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insequent
03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Gonna through out a wild guess here, but I think they reversed the linkage. As a temporary fix you can always just turn your seat around.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-18-2014, 06:39 PM
That's even worse than when I replaced my helm and steering cable and put the cable in the wrong way:rolleyes:

Give them a call to let them know you are coming back to get it taken care of. Their oops.

JMLVMI
03-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Would this happen if you put a prop on backwards? :-P

CaptainKirk
03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
That could be really dangerous! Imagine the skier's eyes when he says "hit it" and finds you coming straight at them.

Theclarks1111
03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Where did you have that work done?

TruckeeEP
03-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Gonna through out a wild guess here, but I think they reversed the linkage. As a temporary fix you can always just turn your seat around.

I'm not sure how helpful that was, but it definitely was funny!

Jerseydave
03-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Actually it would. Sounds like they messed up the install of the throttle though.

Insequent
03-18-2014, 07:47 PM
I apologize. Must have thought I was on WW.

potsie
03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
got to say best giggle of the day

bssteven
03-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Definately funny.... Was not as funny when I went to back it off the trailer and my wife thought I was trying to park it in the back of the truck.

Table Rocker
03-18-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure putting a prop on backwards wouldn't change the direction of push. Think of it like a threaded nut. If you take it off the bolt and turn it over, it is still right hand threads. Our LH props are still LH even when you flip them.

jgraham37128
03-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Ask them to go back through their experience technicians sales pitch. Which is the reason for the extremely high labor rate.

bssteven
03-18-2014, 08:37 PM
I plan on letting them fix it but I really am curious how it happened. With the TBW the TPS sensor only rotates one way and varies a positive voltage 0 to 5 I think. So what tells the brain it's in fwd or reverse? It runs well but definitely awkward and I'll most likely run over my skier if we don't fix it.

Jerseydave
03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty sure putting a prop on backwards wouldn't change the direction of push. Think of it like a threaded nut. If you take it off the bolt and turn it over, it is still right hand threads. Our LH props are still LH even when you flip them.

Yep your right. I guess in my mind I was thinking of twin engine rigs, swapping props on outdrives to see if the boat handles better with the props spinning inward or outward. Guys have done this and had to remember reverse is forward on one engine and forward is reverse on the other while testing. Scary around the dock for sure. :D

Theclarks1111
03-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Really curious where this was done at? I've had a pretty serious issue at a dealership in the southeast that was their fault...

clrussell
03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
I plan on letting them fix it but I really am curious how it happened. With the TBW the TPS sensor only rotates one way and varies a positive voltage 0 to 5 I think. So what tells the brain it's in fwd or reverse? It runs well but definitely awkward and I'll most likely run over my skier if we don't fix it.

I'd say they got the trans linkage backwards. Since yours is tbw

mcmx2
03-18-2014, 09:39 PM
The TBW is to the engine, you still have a cable to the transmission. It is just pushing the lever on the transmission the wrong way when you put it in gear. Should be a simple fix, just frustrating you paid someone to hook it up backward.

bssteven
03-19-2014, 05:39 AM
Mystery solved... I forgot about the transmission cable.

bturner2
03-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Unless the prop was somehow changed to a right rotation prop the problem is at the helm. The Morse control assembly can be configured to operate in two configurations by changing the connection on the shift bell crank. It's a pretty simple job to fix.

I had one of the few right rotation MCs made in 2003 that was a total cluster from a handling perspective. I had to change the prop and reconfigure the shift cable to return the boat to left rotation.