PDA

View Full Version : Wicomico River Salisbury MD

Ryan
03-18-2014, 09:30 AM
A recruiter contacted me about a job in MD. I see a lot of properties with docks on or with access to the Wicomico river. Is the river skiable?

beef
03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Never skied on it, but that's going to be salt water. I would recommend looking into Lake Lou in Vienna, MD.

shepherd
03-18-2014, 02:14 PM
I really can't speak knowledgeably about the Wicomico, but I grew up skiing on the other side of the Chesapeake on the Western Shore (Potomac and Patuxent Rivers) and I often visit family there on the lower Potomac. I'd expect that you'd be able to find good places to ski in the Salisbury area -- calm water, light traffic. If you venture close to the mouth of the river, you should expect to run into swarms of sea nettles (jellyfish) during the warm months. They are bad enough to keep me out of the water unless I'm wearing a wetsuit. But that can get hot real quick in the middle of summer, and those bastards will still find a way to sting your exposed flesh. :mad: But Salisbury may be far enough upstream to avoid them.

shepherd
03-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Never skied on it, but that's going to be salt water. I would recommend looking into Lake Lou in Vienna, MD.

I think I found that on Google maps. Is it right next to Rte 50? Looks nice. Private ski lake or ski club?

beef
03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Yes, sits right next to 50. Lou was the original owner of the local MC dealership (bought my boat from him). He somehow managed to buy that borrow pit from the state after they dug it to build one of the nearby rt 50 bridges.

It's now a local ski club. I don't have the contact info immediately, but I'm sure I can find some. We ski in MD, but it's NE of Baltimore - quite a hike for your daily fix!

Jerseydave
03-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Yes, sits right next to 50. Lou was the original owner of the local MC dealership (bought my boat from him). He somehow managed to buy that borrow pit from the state after they dug it to build one of the nearby rt 50 bridges.

It's now a local ski club. I don't have the contact info immediately, but I'm sure I can find some. We ski in MD, but it's NE of Baltimore - quite a hike for your daily fix!

NE of Baltimore? Where do you ski?

There is also a good ski spot on the Chester river just north of Chestertown. Also a bit too far from Salisbury I'm sure.

Footin
03-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Suzanne is going to kill you if you move her again.

Ryan
03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Suzanne is going to kill you if you move her again.

LOL! We've come to an understanding. My desire for upward mobility creates some job a little job ADD and she has house ADD.

Thanks for the quick info guys!
This job is off the table already. Not because of the sea nettle, though that sounds obnoxious. I got all excited about living on the water but we quickly figured out Salisbury is more remote than we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beef
03-18-2014, 08:53 PM
NE of Baltimore? Where do you ski?

There is also a good ski spot on the Chester river just north of Chestertown. Also a bit too far from Salisbury I'm sure.

We have a course on the Bird River, far enough up the bay to be fresh water but still subject to tides. Nice little place to hang out most times and not that busy!

shepherd
03-19-2014, 01:17 PM

That brings back memories. I met Lou at his dealership in the early 90s when I was shopping for my first DD ski boat (ended up buying from a private seller instead). He mentioned that he had a private lake over there. Then a couple years later I skied a few times with some guys on their course on the Patuxent who would sometimes go over and get some lessons from him.

Jerseydave
03-19-2014, 08:14 PM
We have a course on the Bird River, far enough up the bay to be fresh water but still subject to tides. Nice little place to hang out most times and not that busy!

I checked googlemaps, looks like a nice spot.
Depending on where you live, you may not be too far from our spot in PA near King of Prussia. What's your home town?

Sorry for the threadjack.

BriEOD
03-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Salisbury is a big college town on the eastern shore. I'm not familiar with the river or location. However, given its southernly location and proximity to the mouth of the Chesapeake, I bet it gets infested with sea nettles (small jelly fish) pretty early in the season. Too, there is a private club on the eastern shore that has a lease to a rock quarry pond that is very popular amongst the clubs.

I'm on the Severn River near Annapolis, and across the Bay from Salisbury. All of the Maryland tributaries are brackish. The further south you go, the higher the salinity and more quickly the nettles show up as the summer moves on. You learn to deal with them (lycra suits), but they are pests. There are tons of ski boats that run all over Maryland's rivers--brackish or not.

beef
03-20-2014, 08:40 AM
I checked googlemaps, looks like a nice spot.
Depending on where you live, you may not be too far from our spot in PA near King of Prussia. What's your home town?

Sorry for the threadjack.

I'm lucky enough to live right on the waterfront of the Bird river. If you're ever planning on being in the area, send me a message if you want a pull!

MarkEngberg
04-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Hi Gang,

I grew up on the Wicomico. It is GREAT for Free Skiing! No sea nettles - fresh to brackish water. Very few boats as compared to other rivers in MD - Severn, South River. It is a well kept secret.

I am happy to take anyone if they are in the area. I have an older Centurion, but it is fun.

I do belong to the ski lake in Vienna, MD and highly recommend joining if anyone is interested. We are negotiating a new Master Craft at this time. It is a GREAT Lake and GREAT people.

Mark Engberg
[email protected]
410-430-8559