PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Prostar Restoration

Wild Bill
03-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Need some helps folks. I am almost finished restoring my baby but need one item! The observer seat back cushion hinges. I have searched high and low and cannot locate a source. Travel quite a bit with my job, have stopped in at a couple of dealers on both coasts with no success. Any ideas on the matter?

Bought the boat as a Christmas present to myself. New skins, engine work including new paint, replaced windshield fastener gasket, new blower and hose, new cooling system hoses -boy were those fun to install! Scrubbed the boat top to bottom. Will send pictures as soon as the sun comes out!

shepherd
03-17-2014, 02:54 PM
From what I've seen on my boats, those appear to be pretty basic hinges. I'd think you'd be able to find something that works at a hardware store(?). Someone here with a similar boat should be able to give you the basic dimensions of the hinges.

If not, I'd try Rambo Marine or Discount Inboard Marine. Also, I've learned on this site that some dealers are more helpful than others in trying to locate hard-to-find parts. Some of them frequent this forum. Maybe one of them can help.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing pics of your project.

Wild Bill
03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks. I just visited both sites and hope to receive a response to my inquiry. The hinges are like nothing I have seen before. Research indicates they are called Knife Hinges.

Jerseydave
03-17-2014, 05:29 PM
From one '93 Prostar owner to another.....WELCOME!

I look forward to some pics of yours. :D

46chief on here has parts from an '01 Prostar. Maybe the seat hinges are the same? Send him a PM.

etduc
03-17-2014, 05:43 PM
My 94 has piano hinges. Does this help. http://tacomarine.com/cat--Continuous-Hinges--cat_piano_hinge.html

thatsmrmastercraft
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Hannays is the source many dealers order miscellaneous marine supplies from. Bonus for me as they are only 15 minutes from my house.

http://catalog.hannaysmarine.com/

2RLAKE
03-18-2014, 03:51 AM
From one '93 Prostar owner to another.....WELCOME!

I look forward to some pics of yours. :D

46chief on here has parts from an '01 Prostar. Maybe the seat hinges are the same? Send him a PM.

I'll second that ..., but we need pictures!

Wild Bill
03-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the greetings! If the sun comes out I'll pull her out and take a few pics! Come on summer! I've gone onto the recommended catalogs and don't see the type hinge which I've seen on other boats.

Wild Bill
03-25-2014, 12:19 PM
My baby is at the trailer shop for the last bit of tweeking. Having the old factory drum brakes taken off and converting over to Disc. Still fighting nasty weather here but hope to put her in the water over the weekend. Will take some pictures and post then.

Different subject matter....i want to take some spare stuffing box packing material. Anyone know what size this boats takes?

Jerseydave
03-25-2014, 04:15 PM
My baby is at the trailer shop for the last bit of tweeking. Having the old factory drum brakes taken off and converting over to Disc. Still fighting nasty weather here but hope to put her in the water over the weekend. Will take some pictures and post then.

Different subject matter....i want to take some spare stuffing box packing material. Anyone know what size this boats takes?

Check www.skidim.com for packing rope. I got mine there for my '93.

broncotw
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the "93" Club bro! I cannot wait to see pictures of this beauty...........

thatsmrmastercraft
03-25-2014, 05:37 PM

Spend the extra couple bucks for the gore-tex version. It came on my boat and works very well.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1118

PineLakeRumble
03-25-2014, 06:28 PM
My 94 has piano hinges. Does this help. http://tacomarine.com/cat--Continuous-Hinges--cat_piano_hinge.html

If you're replacing hinges would you consider going older in style. My '86 has a simple style that allows me to shift the engine box an inch or two to the side and remove the cover completely. Great feature when it comes time to do extended maintenance/repair. Sorry, no picture. I presume S&S boats had the same set up.

Wild Bill
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks,

Wild Bill
03-26-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm sick of cold and rain! Supposed to be nice over the weekend. I am ready to get in the water.