PDA

View Full Version : GW Invader History

Slinkyredfoot
03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
This boat is obviously not a MasterCraft but we owned one back in the day, made right here in Indiana, and what a blast it was to drive. There might be some oldsters out there that remember this boat and maybe some younger people as well.

For history's sake, just thought it was an interesting read that I ran across over the weekend, and for all of us boating enthusiasts thought you all might think the same.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/G-W_Invader_History

X25John
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
This was my first boat. Same color as this one. Had a ton of fun with it.

MC25
03-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Where can i find one of those...... lol

MCBOC1
03-18-2014, 09:39 AM
A guy up in Wisconsin has some of the larger models that he posts for sale once in a while. I was tempted to go look last year...

Traxx822
03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the post. I do like these old boats. One of my uncles used to own a few of the GW's. ( I grew up in West Lafayette) For the last few years I have been seeing GW Invaders and SwitzerCrafts all over the river here in Chicago. We sure do see a lot of them in our area, very rare nowadays across the country though. SwitzerCraft originated in Crystal Lake, IL.

There are 2 GW's and 3 Switzers sitting on stilts at our marina, and Harry @ Three Rivers has several of each. Too bad they are just rotting away. They all need complete refurbishment.

At big Basin in Channahon every year they do an old boat show. Tons of SwitzerCrafts and a few GW's. Very cool boats. Fast!!

Here is a link from the same site Slinky referenced:
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Switzer

Also a small excerpt I thought was cool:
Switzer Craft still holds two records today, records that they've held since the '60s. Nobody, not even with the advancements of technology, has ever run the round-trip course from Miami to Fort Lauderdale faster than Bob and Dave Switzer (original owners).

Traxx822
03-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Slinky, on a side note, I live in a SW suburb of Chicago but I actually have a home rehab job i'm doing in Chesterton right now. The commute is killing me!!! :cool:

Double D
03-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Some guy I know in Ohio picked one up last year and I saw it at the lake this past summer..

Definitely a GW Invader