PDA

View Full Version : Tracking fin question

Insequent
03-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Anyone know why MC uses three tracking fins instead of a single larger one? Just curious.

snork
03-16-2014, 06:37 PM
so you can justify spending more money :D
BU screw bolts theirs on so they fall off easily when striking objects
Nauti only has one to save cost
really don't know otherwise

Mastercraft13
03-16-2014, 07:10 PM
I think it boiles down to hull design, mastercraft seems to have a flatter hull then a nautique. The more V hull you have throughout the less you need tracking fins. Fins on the x series is an option not standard equipment now because the x series is more of a v hull design vs a prostar which is more flat. Nautiques are more of a v throughout so it would be in theory as stable with one vs MC with 3

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2014, 07:12 PM
I suspect one longer fin would make turning difficult.

MC25
03-16-2014, 07:44 PM
MC's don't need keels! lol

Ryan
03-16-2014, 09:22 PM
Because boats with one tracking fin (you know the brands) look funny.

I have wondered why no one ever made a hydrofoil towboat. It would totally be designed to have little movement from a skier's pull.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-16-2014, 09:52 PM

I have wondered why no one ever made a hydrofoil towboat. It would totally be designed to have little movement from a skier's pull.

Kinda like the boats with one exhaust:rolleyes:

wheelerd
03-17-2014, 01:45 AM
One fin would look like a shark dorsal fin . . . but upside down!

CC2MC
03-18-2014, 01:46 PM

While I think a hydrofoil boat would be really cool, I would think that using one for a towboat wouldn't work too good. If they are anything like my sky ski, any little movement from the skier would effect the boat. You would probably need some type of computerized stabilizers as they are very sensitive. I can't wait to hit the water with mine!

mikeg205
03-18-2014, 01:51 PM
While I think a hydrofoil boat would be really cool, I would think that using one for a towboat wouldn't work too good. If they are anything like my sky ski, any little movement from the skier would effect the boat. You would probably need some type of computerized stabilizers as they are very sensitive. I can't wait to hit the water with mine!

here we go - a $250 ski boat not made of wood ;)

east tx skier
03-18-2014, 03:29 PM
I suppose we're talking about wake boats. My Correct Craft has 3 tracking fins. So does the SN200.

As for the benefits of thru-bolting them, as someone whose wife "orka'd" one of his fins on a channel marker, I can attest that the screws held up just fine. Any greater impact and I would prefer a stripped screw to something that held on a bit too long and took a piece of the hull with it. Kind of like the benefits of a stainless prop when you hit something.

Screwed on tracking fins are easier to replace, too. Ask me how I know.

The thru-bolted stuff, at least when it comes to tracking fins, is little more than marketing hype in my experience.

TRBenj
03-19-2014, 08:19 AM
I suppose we're talking about wake boats. My Correct Craft has 3 tracking fins. So does the SN200.

As for the benefits of thru-bolting them, as someone whose wife "orka'd" one of his fins on a channel marker, I can attest that the screws held up just fine. Any greater impact and I would prefer a stripped screw to something that held on a bit too long and took a piece of the hull with it. Kind of like the benefits of a stainless prop when you hit something.

Screwed on tracking fins are easier to replace, too. Ask me how I know.

The thru-bolted stuff, at least when it comes to tracking fins, is little more than marketing hype in my experience.
Bingo.

CC has been putting 3 fins on their tournament slalom flagship for a long time (1982). That slalom flagship is now their cheapest boat, so I dont think the reason they put fewer fins on some models has anything to do with "cost savings". My guess is that the fin count is just like the use of screws instead of through bolts on those fins... an engineering analysis was performed and an optimal solution was determined (based on performance).

east tx skier
03-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Bingo.

CC has been putting 3 fins on their tournament slalom flagship for a long time (1982). That slalom flagship is now their cheapest boat, so I dont think the reason they put fewer fins on some models has anything to do with "cost savings". My guess is that the fin count is just like the use of screws instead of through bolts on those fins... an engineering analysis was performed and an optimal solution was determined (based on performance).

It's no Positive Pressure Tracking System, that's for sure. ;)