PDA

View Full Version : Guide Pole Covers

orbeamlb
03-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Considering adding Guide Pole Covers to my trailer so I dropped by my local MC Dealer and found the two styles they carry have a 2.5" inner diameter and wouldn't work on mine.

I have a '88 MC Trailer with aluminum guide poles (39" high and diameter of 1.75" at the black rollers) Anyone running covers on the same type/size poles? I would like to get the heavy duty MC 36" covers if they would stay put.

Here's a couple of photos.

Thanks,

Mike B

MC25
03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
I would for sure spring for the heavy duty ones! They should fit nice as they have elastic on the bottoms to hold em down. Theyre also idiot proof!!! (Which is a must for me) lol

mikeg205
03-15-2014, 02:19 PM
you're not tying your boat down to the fiberglass fender -right?

Quick
03-15-2014, 02:20 PM
My 91 Prostar trailer has the same guide poles. I put the heavy duty ones it and they do not fit tight even with the elastic. I just loosely zip tied them to the pole and it worked for me all last year even when traveling on the highway. Not the best solution but I ordered mine online and couldn't return them.

orbeamlb
03-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Yes, (just kidding). The u-bolt passes through the fiberglass fender and is secured to the steel perimeter frame that the fender secures to.

Mike B

orbeamlb
03-15-2014, 02:29 PM
My 91 Prostar trailer has the same guide poles. I put the heavy duty ones it and they do not fit tight even with the elastic. I just loosely zip tied them to the pole and it worked for me all last year even when traveling on the highway. Not the best solution but I ordered mine online and couldn't return them.

Thanks, that was my concern given the diameter of my guide poles.

Mike B

Covi
03-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Actually I believe that hook on the fender Is for a strap that hooks to one side over the gunwales of the boat and to the other side. Original tie down. I still have the original strap from MC that is use for this purpose.

TOO-TALL
03-15-2014, 03:12 PM
I had same problem last year.ended up putting pvc piping over the guide pole and secureing it with pop rivets.then slide the heavy duty covers over the pvc...I'll get pics this afternoon

mikeg205
03-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Actually I believe that hook on the fender Is for a strap that hooks to one side over the gunwales of the boat and to the other side. Original tie down. I still have the original strap from MC that is use for this purpose.

I have those too - but that angle steel does not seem so strong to me... cool show a pic of that strap...

orbeamlb
03-15-2014, 03:30 PM

Right. There aren't any tie downs on the rear of the trailer. My boat came with the gunwale strap.

orbeamlb
03-15-2014, 03:31 PM
I had same problem last year.ended up putting pvc piping over the guide pole and secureing it with pop rivets.then slide the heavy duty covers over the pvc...I'll get pics this afternoon

Please do. Thanks.

Covi
03-15-2014, 04:54 PM
I'll take a pic next time I'm at the barn. Straps old funny thing I never use it. A lot of people would freak. But, knock on wood never had a problem. Wait and see I just jinxed myself. Sorry for the thread jack.

I have those too - but that angle steel does not seem so strong to me... cool show a pic of that strap...

TOO-TALL
03-15-2014, 06:38 PM
2 inch inside dia pvc..

orbeamlb
03-16-2014, 10:19 AM
2 inch inside dia pvc..

Thanks for the photos. Love the yellow.

Mike B

SunCoast 83
03-16-2014, 10:49 PM
When u get the MC Foam Covers, rotate them periodically as the boat tends to ride the starboard one heavier when backing off the trailer. I rotate mine every 4-5 launches. Like rotating tires they wear evenly.