PDA

View Full Version : Making your own Gen 2 tabs

Bambamski1
03-14-2014, 04:24 PM
I've been talking with a couple of people with 2013 x-25's.

One of the owners fabricates his own parts and was saying if MC doesn't offer the fix for 2013's for a reasonable price he might just make his own tabs.

It kind of got me thinking. MC was saying you would have to update the software, but really it's just deploying the tabs to 80% or 20% or 100% ,what ever. The software would have more to do with the ease of set up (surf port or surf starboard). For the actual tab, you can control that manually. I'm sure it would be pretty easy to just copy the 2014 tabs and get someone to bang out 10-15 tabs for owners and you'd save a bundle over what MC would sell them for in the future.

For me the surf wake on the x-25 is great. For the right price though it would be nice not to have to overweight the starboard side to get a good surf wake though. I don't care about changing wakes mid surf, being able to weight the boat evenly on both sides would be ok when you had a bunch of people that surf on either side of the boat though...

What do you think? Doable?

Ryan
03-14-2014, 04:29 PM
I've been talking with a couple of people with 2013 x-25's.

One of the owners fabricates his own parts and was saying if MC doesn't offer the fix for 2013's for a reasonable price he might just make his own tabs.

It kind of got me thinking. MC was saying you would have to update the software, but really it's just deploying the tabs to 80% or 20% or 100% ,what ever. The software would have more to do with the ease of set up (surf port or surf starboard). For the actual tab, you can control that manually. I'm sure it would be pretty easy to just copy the 2014 tabs and get someone to bang out 10-15 tabs for owners and you'd save a bundle over what MC would sell them for in the future.

For me the surf wake on the x-25 is great. For the right price though it would be nice not to have to overweight the starboard side to get a good surf wake though. I don't care about changing wakes mid surf, being able to weight the boat evenly on both sides would be ok when you had a bunch of people that surf on either side of the boat though...

What do you think? Doable?

I thought they came out with the 2013 retro kit a few weeks ago. I don't recall the price - it's on here somewhere in a thread started by MC.

Bambamski1
03-14-2014, 04:31 PM
oh really? I didn't see that

Gunford
03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
It is on tt under announcements. It is about $6000 for the retro my.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ttu
03-14-2014, 04:48 PM
oh really? I didn't see that

i would love to see someone start making them for the older x series. i have a 07 x2 and i don't need anything but the tabs, and wiring for manual switches.

no software stuff needed!

Bambamski1
03-14-2014, 04:51 PM
6k? for two tabs? seems a bit extreme. I think i might go with the fabrication...

lentiman
03-14-2014, 04:54 PM
No, the $6K is for two surf tabs, attitude plate, all three actuators, wiring, switches, and labor.

That said, if all it really takes is a different tab I'd be interested to see if the tabs on my 2012 can be swapped out with new fabricated tabs. I think we need to have a larger test group with the Gen2 installed though before getting too excited.

MC25
03-14-2014, 05:07 PM
For the amount of money that was spent on your boat, why not spend a few extra on oem parts and labor? I wouldnt ever buy a boat that someone slapped on their own tabs of some sort.

scott023
03-14-2014, 07:17 PM
For the amount of money that was spent on your boat, why not spend a few extra on oem parts and labor? I wouldnt ever buy a boat that someone slapped on their own tabs of some sort.

Now there's something a person really needs to consider.

Bambamski1
03-14-2014, 08:52 PM
i guess i have a problem with 6000 thousand bucks for a couple of fabricated pieces of stainless steal. Material isn't more than 300 bucks ... software update? cost is nothing. I need an upgrade anyways cause the screen freezes pretty much daily so i have to shut the batteries off and reboot the system.

6k buys a lot of things. too many too list.... can't help but feel like we are getting gouged on this.

CantRepeat
03-14-2014, 08:56 PM
No, the $6K is for two surf tabs, attitude plate, all three actuators, wiring, switches, and labor.

That said, if all it really takes is a different tab I'd be interested to see if the tabs on my 2012 can be swapped out with new fabricated tabs. I think we need to have a larger test group with the Gen2 installed though before getting too excited.

Don't forget that all important software upgrade too.

KnoxX2
03-15-2014, 01:15 AM
i guess i have a problem with 6000 thousand bucks for a couple of fabricated pieces of stainless steal. Material isn't more than 300 bucks ... software update? cost is nothing. I need an upgrade anyways cause the screen freezes pretty much daily so i have to shut the batteries off and reboot the system.

6k buys a lot of things. too many too list.... can't help but feel like we are getting gouged on this.

I can see how you feel this way, however you need to look at this from a business standpoint. MC could have said "Nope you guys with 2013's just need to buy a new boat and get the new system!" However they didn't. They offered it to the currant owners of 2013's at a price that was fair to people who have decided to buy a 2014 with this option. $6000 upgrade or $6000 option on a new boat. Also they have said "We understand that it is winter and you cant get out and test this new system for yourself. So here we will give you a 100% money back guarantee. If you don't like it we will buy it back!" I would say they are confident in their decision on this new surf system. Now days there are not too many company's willing to put their money where their mouth is. I will say this with this move, I am impressed with the leadership at MC for standing behind their product. Yes it is expensive but remember they came out with this after it was an option on a new boat. Just my :twocents:

ttu
03-15-2014, 08:39 AM
I can see how you feel this way, however you need to look at this from a business standpoint. MC could have said "Nope you guys with 2013's just need to buy a new boat and get the new system!" However they didn't. They offered it to the currant owners of 2013's at a price that was fair to people who have decided to buy a 2014 with this option. $6000 upgrade or $6000 option on a new boat. Also they have said "We understand that it is winter and you cant get out and test this new system for yourself. So here we will give you a 100% money back guarantee. If you don't like it we will buy it back!" I would say they are confident in their decision on this new surf system. Now days there are not too many company's willing to put their money where their mouth is. I will say this with this move, I am impressed with the leadership at MC for standing behind their product. Yes it is expensive but remember they came out with this after it was an option on a new boat. Just my :twocents:

agree knox, but wouldn't you enjoy being able to add them to your 08 x2. the hull has not changed in years!

jovoth
03-15-2014, 10:45 AM
i would love to see someone start making them for the older x series. i have a 07 x2 and i don't need anything but the tabs, and wiring for manual switches.

no software stuff needed!

I agree ttu I have 07 X2 as well and would love to be able to possibly make my surf wake better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tr6coug
03-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I agree ttu I have 07 X2 as well and would love to be able to possibly make my surf wake better!!

I'd really like to put some on my '07 X2 also.

Do you really need the wake plate, or just the tabs?

MC25
03-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Now there's something a person really needs to consider.

Hmmm....

cbryan70
03-15-2014, 01:32 PM

Its a money back IF you show that you already have purchased another boat and can prove sales tax and registration of said new boat......

MC25
03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
I think its a bold move by MC on the money back thing. Hope I cam jump on a gen 2 boat and get some reviews, since really only canadians have the gen 2 boats. And we wont hear from them until june! Lol

Nick911
03-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I don't think any of us will really be actually paying MSRP. I'm thinking I'll be 4K all in with OEM install and warranty on said install. Aric makes a great point, who is gonna but a boat with tabs hacked on?

MC25
03-15-2014, 04:15 PM

I see you made your way over to wakeworld to complain also, to a bunch of people who hate MCs. I would suggest going to your dealer to get actual pricing, considering the fact you didn't pay msrp on your boat, I doubt people will be paying 6k for this. They might even give you some lube with it.

jdhart73
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM
If the hacked tabs worked I wouldn't care. Making "replica" tabs and plasma welding them to the bottom of some Bennett's or Lenco's will be the easiest way to do this. You will end up about a grand into the deal after you buy the trim tab kit and then pay someone $$ to cut and bend the "weld ons" to your liking. We will see some this summer I'm sure.

MC25
03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Interesting read

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801412&page=99999

Mastercraftdave
03-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Interesting read

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801412&page=99999

Wakeworld is getting worse and worse each day. I really cant stand the people that post on that site. If you even mention that you have an MC they will call you all kinds of names and like to hide behind a computer screen. Alot of them seem to be drinking the MB and Skiers Choice koolaid. I enjoy TT way more.

On a side note if someone figures out away to make new tabs please let me know as the X45 just left out for the upgrades so im curious to see what you find out.

MC25
03-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Some deserve the lashings though. lol.

ttu
03-17-2014, 08:27 PM
:rolleyes:Wakeworld is getting worse and worse each day. I really cant stand the people that post on that site. If you even mention that you have an MC they will call you all kinds of names and like to hide behind a computer screen. Alot of them seem to be drinking the MB and Skiers Choice koolaid. I enjoy TT way more.

On a side note if someone figures out away to make new tabs please let me know as the X45 just left out for the upgrades so im curious to see what you find out.

agree but don't forget all the "g" dudes over there~! I hardly ever go to that website anymore. you mention the word mc, and let the bashing begin.

FourFourty
03-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Wakeworld is getting worse and worse each day. I really cant stand the people that post on that site. If you even mention that you have an MC they will call you all kinds of names and like to hide behind a computer screen. Alot of them seem to be drinking the MB and Skiers Choice koolaid. I enjoy TT way more.

Oh look, another MC guy whining because he can't accept the fact that his wakes suck, his tower is ugly, and doesn't have a surf system that doesn't actually help above stock ballast anyhow...... Why don't you go back to pulling tubes 24/7, and stop drinkin the MC coolaid, you rich, pretentious, old fart. Do you even know what a wakeboard is, besides a tower ornament?

Oh crap. Thought I was on WW :D

MC25
03-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Oh look, another MC guy whining because he can't accept the fact that his wakes suck, his tower is ugly, and doesn't have a surf system that doesn't actually help above stock ballast anyhow...... Why don't you go back to pulling tubes 24/7, and stop drinkin the MC coolaid, you rich, pretentious, old fart. Do you even know what a wakeboard is, besides a tower ornament?

I thought it was interesting because the thread on WW and this thread is the same OP

Nick911
03-17-2014, 09:04 PM
I try to avoid Wakeworld too but find myself drawn to it sometimes. That guy doesn't give MC owners or Albertans a good name, especially when you post pictures of your expensive cars to prove you can afford Gen 2 tabs.

FourFourty
03-17-2014, 09:05 PM
I thought it was interesting because the thread on WW and this thread is the same OP

The part I loved the best was the "and the thread got deleted on TT, figures...." Or something along those lines....

I love posting in deleted threads

Jerseydave
03-17-2014, 09:06 PM

^Too funny FourFourty!:D

FourFourty
03-17-2014, 09:08 PM
I try to avoid Wakeworld too but find myself drawn to it sometimes. That guy doesn't give MC owners or Albertans a good name, especially when you post pictures of your expensive cars to prove you can afford Gen 2 tabs.

The entertainment value is hard to resist!!

MC certainly gets bagged on pretty bad, but there are others for sure.

Nick911
03-17-2014, 09:09 PM
That Jet Ranger Todd guy is priceless.

MC25
03-17-2014, 09:15 PM
The part I loved the best was the "and the thread got deleted on TT, figures...." Or something along those lines....

I love posting in deleted threads

Posted pics of "his" lambos.... Complaining about 6k when owning an Italian supercar=priceless

FourFourty
03-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Posted pics of "his" lambos.... Complaining about 6k when owning an Italian supercar=priceless

I mean, I think that he may have unlocked a very ingenious idea with that pic. You see, lambos are of a very chiseled shape design. Very similar lines to a gen2 tab. I think, being as he has tons of lambos, he can afford to bolt a couple Lamborghini's to the back of his boat. (Upside down, of course) Poof, Gen2 surf system, baller edition.

Nick911
03-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I mean, I think that he may have unlocked a very ingenious idea with that pic. You see, lambos are of a very chiseled shape design. Very similar lines to a gen2 tab. I think, being as he has tons of lambos, he can afford to bolt a couple Lamborghini's to the back of his boat. (Upside down, of course) Poof, Gen2 surf system, baller edition.

Good thought. A man who would hack up some fabbed tabs and screw them into a 100k boat would also buy a fake Lamborghini or a Lamborghini kit car and act like he was a superstar. His house looks like a 7-800k house in Edmonton or Calgary, less than an average house price in Fort McMurray.

MC25
03-17-2014, 09:31 PM

hahahaha

MC25
03-17-2014, 09:36 PM
having to much fun haha

Mastercraftdave
03-17-2014, 10:25 PM

At first I thought JETRANGER hacked your account. But then I realized that everyone on here has class. How's that boat coming along FourForty? Any more pics?

scott023
03-17-2014, 10:52 PM
He took a lashing over there. Wow

jdhart73
03-18-2014, 12:00 AM
I have literally had tears in my eyes laughing at some of JetRangers posts over there.

Nick911
03-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Wow the Op is still getting trashed on pretty hard over there. I feel bad for him.

Nick911
03-18-2014, 12:26 AM
I have literally had tears in my eyes laughing at some of JetRangers posts over there.

I wonder if he defends MC cause he likes MC or because it gets people upset over there. Maybe both?

MC25
03-18-2014, 12:34 AM
When you go full douche, expect it in return. lol

*Just like my tendencies when i do it... lol

FourFourty
03-18-2014, 08:04 AM
At first I thought JETRANGER hacked your account. But then I realized that everyone on here has class. How's that boat coming along FourForty? Any more pics?

Showed up at the dealer yesterday, Dave!! Going over to check it out today! Should have some pics to add to my build thread later on.