PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a 2012 X30 knowing you can't install Gen 2?

jdhart73
03-12-2014, 08:28 PM
If a moderator wants to put all 3 or 4 of my OCD threads together that's fine with me!

So my dilemma is that I've found a number of 2012 X30's for a decent price with low hours
and options I want. I'm apprehensive to pull the trigger because I worry I will want the Gen 2 tabs and as of now they have no intention of allowing them on 2012's.

My budget prohibits the 2013's and the few it doesn't I hate the colors.
Would you guys just say piss on it and buy a 2012 because Gen 2 is hype or would I be buyijg outdated non-upgradable technology if I did that?

Should I just be patient and wait a month or two and hope a 13 pops up that fits the bill.

Thanks for all your feedback, it's been helpful.
I try to put a lot of thought and gather opinions before
pulling triggers!

KnoxX2
03-12-2014, 08:53 PM
Seems like I always post in your threads.......

I have been looking at X30's myself. I think it would come down to price for me. If a 2012 came up and it was a color I liked with the right options and a great deal I would get it. The Gen2 will either be great or its going to be all hype. Either way the X30 is a great surf boat with or without the Gen2. I know this to be a fact.

One side note I'm not sure I would get a 12 with the big screen.

I know its hard to pull the trigger in the winter with a lot of uncertainty but I think now is the time to get a good deal on a 12. As summer gets closer it will become harder to get dealers to want to deal.

jafo9
03-12-2014, 08:55 PM
sounds like the story of any new technology. my guess is that the gen 2 system of the 13-14's has depressed the price of the 12's a bit. it's still a great hull that can be surfed, boarded, etc. you just have to add some extra bags. they are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things. if the deal was good enough, i wouldn't worry about the surf system.

jdhart73
03-12-2014, 09:06 PM
I believe the big screen issue was with the perfect pass and if the boat has Zero Off then there are no issues but I could be wrong?

Was the standard warranty for a boat on 2012 3 years?
Transferrable I assume?

Nick911
03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Dealer told me the Gen 2 on X30 never really improved the wake that much. I'd say go for it.

KnoxX2
03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Yes 3 years and transferable

BlakeEatmon
03-12-2014, 09:46 PM
I own a 2012 X-30 and I have no regrets. Surf wake is absolutely incredible. Pull the trigger!

jdhart73
03-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Knox does it cost anything to transfer?

jdhart73
03-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Was also warned of 2012 electronics?

Scott
03-13-2014, 07:00 AM
been alot of threads and comments about the medallion electronics. I have a 12, with no surf tabs. The only issue that I have had was perfect pass related and I now have zero off. I have had the other updates and have had no problems with medallion. I would buy another one..

Mastercraftdave
03-13-2014, 09:19 AM
A lot of people in here keep telling you to stay away from a 2012 but probably half of them didn't own a 2012. I have a 2012 x45 with the medallion system and after all the updates my boat works great. I put 80 hours on it last summer with the new update and I had zero problems with the big screen as I do have the zero off speed control. Don't have much experience with an x30 but I wouldn't let the big system scare you away.

jdhart73
03-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Is the software pretty simple to run?
Had heard some complaints of if just being fiddlesome and
not as clean as others.

swatguy
03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
I would not touch a 2012 boat. Their electronics were a nightmare with the software. Not to mention now even going to take more of a hit in resale with the addition of gen 2 surf.

While gen 2 surf isn't necessarily a deal breaker for those who don't surf the electronic issues alone would keep me clear of any 2012. Lots of "little" issues. It's cumbersome and choppy. I have a family member with a 2012 X 25. Boat was a complete electronic nightmare for over yr.

bcd
03-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Is the software pretty simple to run?
Had heard some complaints of if just being fiddlesome and
not as clean as others.

If you don't have the big screen, it's a little confusing. Especially when you are trying to wakeboard and have someone drive the boat that's not used to the system. I set everything up before I get in the water, but if the key gets turned off, everything resets. That's when it's the biggest hassle.

AZX46OD
03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
I owned a 2012 X45 with the big screen and now a 2013 X30. I definitely prefer the 2013 functionality, but the 2012 was very workable. If I still had the 2012 I would make sure I had a remote for the stereo controls mounted on the dash, that was the biggest hassle for me was changing screens to adjust volume, etc. Yes the 2013+ electronics are better, but as always it comes down to price. I would by another 2012 if the price was right. If the difference were less than 5K I'd go with the 2013, but if we are talking 10-15K I'd go with the 2012.

Scott
03-13-2014, 04:22 PM
original poster said a 13 is cost prohibitive and were talking about a x30, not another model. Surf tabs werent recommended, on the 30, because they didnt add a justifiable addition to the wake... several on here, will agree..even if gen 2 has the hype that "surf gate" did, it is still not an option, since price is an issue.. If price isnt an issue, i figure this thread would have never started..

Mastercraftdave
03-13-2014, 04:44 PM
original poster said a 13 is cost prohibitive and were talking about a x30, not another model. Surf tabs werent recommended, on the 30, because they didnt add a justifiable addition to the wake... several on here, will agree..even if gen 2 has the hype that "surf gate" did, it is still not an option, since price is an issue.. If price isnt an issue, i figure this thread would have never started..

Great insight from a great x30 owner......

Even though I don't have an x30 I have a 2012 with the big screen and it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. If you can get a better deal on a 2012 and you like the boat then why not pull the trigger. You will find on these forums that everyone has an opinion and thinks they know what's right. At the end of the day it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I have read many post where people said the tabs didn't make a differnce on an x30 but yet a lot of people have them on their boat so it must do something. So what does that tell you?

Adding an extra stereo remote by the driver side make a world of difference in using the screen atleast it did for me because you won't have to switch to the differnce screens as much you can just leave it on the cruise control screen. Good luck with the purchase either way.

KnoxX2
03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Great insight from a great x30 owner......

Even though I don't have an x30 I have a 2012 with the big screen and it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. If you can get a better deal on a 2012 and you like the boat then why not pull the trigger. You will find on these forums that everyone has an opinion and thinks they know what's right. At the end of the day it comes down to what you feel comfortable with. I have read many post where people said the tabs didn't make a differnce on an x30 but yet a lot of people have them on their boat so it must do something. So what does that tell you?

Adding an extra stereo remote by the driver side make a world of difference in using the screen atleast it did for me because you won't have to switch to the differnce screens as much you can just leave it on the cruise control screen. Good luck with the purchase either way.

That is solid advice Dave.

scottsx2
03-13-2014, 05:14 PM
As long as the updates are done including ZERO OFF, don't be worried about a 2012. The stereo remote at the helm would be nice though. As far as surf wave goes, an X 30 without tabs is in a whole other league then my X 2 with tabs, I don't think the gen-1 tabs do much for the X 30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

djue
03-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Overall, I have not had an issue with the 2012 BIG system. (I have Zero Off Perfect Pass). Definitely no less intuitive to use than the 2012 - 2013 Malibu systems. (I've spent time in 2013 23LSV and 2013 20MXZ). As mentioned before, the most cumbersome issue is the integrated BIG stereo control - having to switch from cruise "perfect pass" screen to radio just to change the volume. I added a wet sounds 420SQ which took care of that problem:) Of course I would like to have the GEN 2 tabs, but if your budget prohibits 2013/2014, the 2012 shouldn't scare you away.

Donnie Jue
2012 X30