PDA

View Full Version : High pitch whine at low rpms

2014 PROSTAR
03-12-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a new 2014 PROSTAR 5.7 and when I engage the transmission slightly you can hear a high pitch whine as I power up it goes away, any thoughts would be appreciated, 65k was a lot to spend and I freaked a little when I heard this sound.

MC25
03-12-2014, 04:38 PM
My 2010 did this when I first bought it as well. I think it just went away after a while.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2014, 04:39 PM
I have a new 2014 PROSTAR 5.7 and when I engage the transmission slightly you can hear a high pitch whine as I power up it goes away, any thoughts would be appreciated, 65k was a lot to spend and I freaked a little when I heard this sound.

Welcome to Team Talk. Sorry to hear it is a strange noise bringing you here. Have you called your dealer yet?

mzimme
03-12-2014, 04:45 PM
My 2010 did this when I first bought it as well. I think it just went away after a while.

The possessive pronouns in this sentence just make me chuckle.

As for your problem... Is the whine in forward, reverse, or both?

Sodar
03-12-2014, 04:50 PM

I have the same issue with my boat. I thought it was the strut bearing going out or perhaps engine alignment. After I did all that work, I ended up switching to a different prop and the sound went away. Both props are balanced and have never been damaged or repaired, but the one has a slight whine from idle to abould 1500 rpms.

As other have said, on a new boat, take it to the dealer and let them tell you it is nothing to worry about.

MarkS
03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
I have been told a faulty PCV valve can sometimes make a similar noise, but have no direct experience.

MC25
03-12-2014, 05:18 PM

whats your problem? I haven't done anything to you, so if you wouldn't mind leaving the my vs my parents boat alone. Dont think that horse has quite been beat enough.

KnoxX2
03-12-2014, 05:36 PM
whats your problem? I haven't done anything to you, so if you wouldn't mind leaving the my vs my parents boat alone. Dont think that horse has quite been beat enough.

I don't want to jack this tread but,.......... You can save your self the trouble and just say "our boat" No one can argue that!!!! Just thinking out loud.:rolleyes:

Insequent
03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
... when I engage the transmission slightly ....

Have you tried doing this in neutral? So as to rule out the engine alone.

tph
03-12-2014, 06:39 PM
I have the same issue with my boat. I thought it was the strut bearing going out or perhaps engine alignment. After I did all that work, I ended up switching to a different prop and the sound went away. Both props are balanced and have never been damaged or repaired, but the one has a slight whine from idle to abould 1500 rpms.

Same here. I had the prop reworked and then the whine/ring started. I filed the edges of each blade flat and that eliminated the sound.

jk13
03-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Like mentioned it sounds like it's probably prop sing if in forward. I've had a prop do that on mine too. Have your dealer or another knowledgeable inboarder do a ride along to help verify. Otherwise try and borrow a prop to test. Doesn't even have to be 100% correct pitch, just test at low speed and low rpm only.

Direct drive boats almost always whine in reverse, that's totally normal.

MattsCraft
03-13-2014, 09:57 AM
This has come up somewhere on here before. Without hearing it in person I can't tell you 100% this is your issue, however this was my experience on my '09 X2, with the ZF Hurth trans.

High pitch whine at low RPM's, pretty sure it is the tranny, the tech bulletin back then was to replace the ATF with motor oil to help lesson the issue. I don't think there is any performance issue, just a slight annoyance.

My boat had 15W 40 in the trans from day one, had the whine from day one and I never had any tranny issues for 385 hrs until I sold the boat. I still hear from the new owner and he has not mentioned any tranny issues. It was a little more apparent if the level was a bit low also. I had several props, re-worked etc. and it was always there, just got used to it.

Ilmor is back to ATF, I don't notice it on my X25 with the 6.2:D

2014 PROSTAR
03-13-2014, 10:06 AM

Forward only, engine noise for sure.

93Prostar190
03-13-2014, 10:12 AM
With such a sweet ride, I would check the PCV valve, and although I am not totally up to speed on the Ilmor engines, I would rule out any other possible vacuum type leaks, a small air leak?

Dealer should weigh in .......

although a "whine" could be me on shore watching you pull away in that sweet boat. ;)

Best of luck and keep us posted ....

snobinge
03-13-2014, 10:23 AM
I also started hearing this with our 98' 205 after we had a prop fixed.

neil.anderson63
03-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Our 05 X9 did this too. Only in forward, reverse noise form the DD covered the whine. The dealer smoothed out the prop and the whine went away. It was a long time ago, but I think the whine is caused by the little ridges on the prop.

tph
03-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Here's an article on Prop Singing:

http://www.propellerpages.com/?c=articles&f=2006-02-18_Do_Propellers_Sing

Traxx822
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM
I don't want to jack this tread but,.......... You can save your self the trouble and just say "our boat" No one can argue that!!!! Just thinking out loud.:rolleyes:

sorry to derail again, but i'm kinda sick of seeing this about Aric.

I grew up with boats that were my dads. I hate to break it to everyone, but my father explicitly told me; "This is your boat, treat it like you bought it, or lose it." It was always referred to as my boat even when he was standing in front of me. Thats the way he wanted it. It sure wasn't a MC X15 either. My guess is his father treats him the same as mine did for me.

KnoxX2
03-13-2014, 11:54 AM
sorry to derail again, but i'm kinda sick of seeing this about Aric.

I grew up with boats that were my dads. I hate to break it to everyone, but my father explicitly told me; "This is your boat, treat it like you bought it, or lose it." It was always referred to as my boat even when he was standing in front of me. Thats the way he wanted it. It sure wasn't a MC X15 either. My guess is his father treats him the same as mine did for me.

That was the point I was trying to make. I was not trying to bash him just give some advice to stop the "you mean you parents boat" thing.

Traxx822
03-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Knox, I accidentally quoted you. I understood your post. I was supposed to quote Mzimme.
Edit: Which that post I didn't think was that bad either.

KnoxX2
03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Knox, I accidentally quoted you. I understood your post. I was supposed to quote Mzimme.
Edit: Which that post I didn't think was that bad either.

Thanks Traxx. :) Back to the OP topic.:D Thread jack over:rolleyes:

ski/hunt
03-13-2014, 12:06 PM
If Aric gets married to a lady like mine, he won't get away with calling anything "mine"..... My wife has a way of correcting me ANYTIME I say "my".... It's "OURS":)

As far as the whine sound on the op boat----call Eric at Oj ask him if he can fix a "singing prop". Otherwise I'd assume you are under warranty---so talk to your dealer and then run it like you stole it!!! If it breaks.........time for W-claim...

MattsCraft
03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Here's an article on Prop Singing:

http://www.propellerpages.com/?c=articles&f=2006-02-18_Do_Propellers_Sing

Now that's pretty interesting right there - Thanks for posting.

On mine - I always thought it was the tranny, since I read it "here" :rolleyes: Could have been the prop??? I had 2 OJ's, same diameter and pitch, both had been reworked at least once, never went away. I would explain my sound exactly as they state in this article.

Traxx822
03-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm going to be hearing phantom noises because of this thread.

mikeg205
03-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Why do we need to bash anyone on this forum unless the directly insult someone?

I don't there's anyone this forum that deserves to be flamed just for saying "my"...

19_Skier
03-13-2014, 01:58 PM
FWIW, I noticed a high pitch whine on the '14 prostar I was in (Brooks Wilson's ski school). He didn't seem concerned about it but it was the same as you describe, just after putting it in forward.

ttu
03-13-2014, 01:59 PM
Why do we need to bash anyone on this forum unless the directly insult someone?

I don't there's anyone this forum that deserves to be flamed just for saying "my"...

^^ mike, just don't mention a tundra please!

TN X-45
03-13-2014, 02:15 PM
On my 08, heard same noise. Dealer told me it was the prop singing (new 5 blade). Turned out it was the coupler needed to be adjusted.

Mastercraftdave
03-13-2014, 08:37 PM
My 6.2l ilmor makes the same high pitch whine your talking about. My dealer said it's something to do with the belts that ilmor uses. It's goes away once you hit the throttle. I haven't had any problems with the engine though.

MC25
03-13-2014, 08:41 PM
^^ mike, just don't mention a tundra please!

All hell will break loose!!!!!