PDA

View Full Version : Bottom paint

BillDel
03-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Any opinions on painting the bottom of my x-45? I use it in salt water. Will the value of the boat drop to much?

gsxrjtt
03-10-2014, 10:09 PM
HELLS YES DONT DO IT... please dont do it.. are you leaving it in the water at a house, are you just using daily and taking it out. Spend the cash that you would loose on the bottom paint and maintenance of the paint and the people who will turn away from the boat just because of the paint alone and spend it on a high and dry or a lift to keep it outa the water.

Traxx822
03-10-2014, 10:29 PM
I battled with this because my boats in the water 24/7. But a good acid wash and polish and mines shiny at the beginning of every year.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

shepherd
03-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Agree. Don't do it. The only reason to use bottom paint is if the boat is left in the water year round. Even then, you'll have other issues like possible corrosion of the running gear and the internal engine parts. Also, you'll have to clean and re-paint the bottom every year or two, which is either expensive or a major pain in the butt to do yourself. Also also, it will hurt resale.

bturner2
03-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Only paint it if you're OK with losing resale value and most potential resale prospects. You can debate all day the advantages of bottom paint but at the end of the day you'll lose both value and buyers to painting the bottom. Get a lift, trailer or do rack storage but don't paint the bottom if at all possible. My .02 cents......

Table Rocker
03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
I wonder if a wrap would help instead of bottom paint.

Stefan
03-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Not below the water line, small rips and chips from debris in the water will make the water tear the wrap off little by little...

atihanyi
03-11-2014, 06:15 PM
don't do it + infinity

scott023
03-11-2014, 06:53 PM
It would be a travesty to paint the bottom of your boat.

mikeg205
03-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Not below the water line, small rips and chips from debris in the water will make the water tear the wrap off little by little...

+1 on this...

ski/hunt
03-11-2014, 07:44 PM
You wouldn't primer paint the lower third of a new Jag, porche, BMW etc...(enter whatever expensive car) to protect it from salt and road debris, and expect it to NOT HURT potential re-sale????

I would never even entertain looking at a MC to purchase that had been painted much less buy...

scott023
03-11-2014, 07:54 PM

Wraps will bubble under the water line.

Table Rocker
03-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Wraps will bubble under the water line.
Well, somebody needs to invent one that won't! :)

scott023
03-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Well, somebody needs to invent one that won't! :)

You better get on that.:D

Bouyhead
03-12-2014, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=BillDel;1021654]Any opinions on painting the bottom of my x-45? I use it in salt water. Will the value of the boat drop to much?[/

Where in the Northeast are you boating and where will you keep your boat? Bottom paint will reduce resale significantly but so will salt water use.

AlbertaSurfer
03-12-2014, 01:54 AM
So, all of you would buy a salt water used boat with gel bubbles, fading, gunk buildup etc, as long as there's no bottom paint? OP claims he rides in salt... Protecting the boat from salt seems more important in my opinion. Rinse all you want, salt use is harsh on boats.

Unfortunately in this forum, it's freshwater only, trailer kept, Sunbrella covered and wash/wax after every use. I'd suggest the OP to ask around the local marina and see what other people do. If bottom paint is gonna prolong the use of your boat, paint away. The fact you're dropping a MasterCraft in salt water is turning everyone on this forum away anyway.

bsloop
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Lets be honest, no one would choose a saltwater boat over a freshwater kept boat. Just like purchasing a vehicle out of the Rust belt like Ohio vs dry desert like Arizona or Tx.

Coastal boat people have different expectations of what is acceptable than freshwater people. A little metal pitting from salt water/air is normal but will take a big price hit in the eyes of a freshwater buyer.

I too will say - Don't paint it if resale is a priority. Salt air damage is bad but often reparable with some buffing, new wires and exhaust manifolds. Once a bottom is scuffed for bottom paint, it will never be the same.
If it is reasonably cost effective to get the boat out of the water, definitely consider that first. I understand coastal slips that would facilitate lifts or dry storage can be very expensive so it may be worth the huge depreciation, biannual maintenance and limited buyer pool.

scott023
03-12-2014, 01:27 PM
So, all of you would buy a salt water used boat with gel bubbles, fading, gunk buildup etc, as long as there's no bottom paint? OP claims he rides in salt... Protecting the boat from salt seems more important in my opinion. Rinse all you want, salt use is harsh on boats.

Unfortunately in this forum, it's freshwater only, trailer kept, Sunbrella covered and wash/wax after every use. I'd suggest the OP to ask around the local marina and see what other people do. If bottom paint is gonna prolong the use of your boat, paint away. The fact you're dropping a MasterCraft in salt water is turning everyone on this forum away anyway.

Pretty sure you're wrong there... but painting the bottom of any towboat is wrong, IMO.

rtw_travel
03-12-2014, 01:28 PM
I know there is a general paranoia from inland boaters about boats that have been in the ocean, and I am sure there are lots of mistreated ocean boats that would justify this opinion.

However, saltwater boats can be kept in as good a condition as fresh water boats, but they definately require more TLC to do so. I wouldn't take a boat off my buy list just because its been in the ocean, although I'd check it more carefully and definately whine at the owner to get a price reduction.

We were in the pacific for 15 years with our 20' i/o, and it looked as good after 15 years/ ~300 hours as the day we bought it. We had a closed cooling system, and the boat did not spend more than four days at a time in the water. The trailer was galvanized and we washed the boat and trailer off, and flushed the engine with fresh water after ~every~ use. It was immaculate inside and out at age 15.

On the other hand, the boat definately got worse when we brought it to fresh water for the last 6 years we owned it... but that was from keeping it in the water at the dock for for two months at a time.

To the OP's question, do you leave the boat in the water? Do you have fresh water cooling? I'd spend more money on keeping the boat on a trailer or lift when its not in use, and keeping the salt out of the block before spending money on bottom paint.

MC25
03-12-2014, 01:29 PM
if youre keeping it at a marina slip in salt, just have divers come by and scrub the bottom every month. Its not expensive and will save you some trouble.

AlbertaSurfer
03-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Pretty sure you're wrong there... but painting the bottom of any towboat is wrong, IMO.

The general consensus of the past pages of responses suggests I'm not wrong at all.

There's lots of threads about saltwater boats, all with the same message...

scott023
03-12-2014, 03:44 PM
The general consensus of the past pages of responses suggests I'm not wrong at all.

What message? Don't paint the bottoms? Perhaps look for a fresh water boat if you're not going to be using it in salt water?

Is it not a fact that salt is harder on the boat, and if not properly looked after and maintained, they are a riskier buy?

JohnE
03-12-2014, 03:46 PM

You are generalizing too much IMO. As with anything, the condition and maintenance of any used boat is more of a concern and I think that is what most members here will say.

waterlogged882
03-12-2014, 04:16 PM

AlbertaSurfer
03-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Pffffft, nevermind...

And Scott, yeah, it is a fact, that's why I suggested the OP protect his boat however he see fit.

shepherd
03-12-2014, 11:06 PM

The purpose of bottom paint is not to protect a boat from salt water. The purpose of bottom paint is to keep living organisms -- algae, barnacles, etc. -- from attaching themselves to the boat , damaging the hull and reducing its performance. This will happen whether the boat is in salt water or fresh. And this only happens when the boat is left in the water long enough to allow those critters to establish themselves and/or prevent you from regularly (i.e., weekly) cleaning the bottom. And this will also happen even with bottom paint on your boat unless you re-paint the bottom every year or two. That is why we are saying don't paint it unless you MUST leave the boat in the water for lengthy periods of time.

Of course, if you do decide to store your boat in the water, then bottom paint would be a good idea. Just be aware of the maintenance headache you'll be signing up for, as well as the ding on resale value of the boat. Bottom paint is like a tattoo. Once you get it, you're pretty much stuck with it.

scott023
03-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Pffffft, nevermind...

And Scott, yeah, it is a fact, that's why I suggested the OP protect his boat however he see fit.

I was just saying, there are better ways to care for your boat than to paint it. Personally, if I found a great deal on a salt boat, and any deterioration from the salt was recoverable, I'd snap it up.

MC25
03-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Wheres the OP? We scare him off? Lol

DHPRO
03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
I just bot an X30 SS that will see 90% salt use. It will be washed, rinsed and racked after every use - at least thats the plan! Im under no illusions as to why Ill be one of 2 of these boats I know of on my part of the coast, but its either drive 45-60mins to ride in crowds on fresh water, or drive 2 miles to marina and stay local.